Bills over UTPA by 3

The Wiz

I guess this would still be behind Bradley on a neutral court in terms of our "best" win of the season so far, right? Bradley gave Central Michigan their only loss.

Brian is correct. SIU is our best win....C.

Bradley is a D-....in fact , UTPA is a clone of Bradley numerically speaking...Bradley = UTPA....so it is probably more than a coincidence that we are favored by 3 in that we also beat Bradley by 3.

Our next best win is Ind St....D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian is correct. SIU is our best win....C.

Bradley is a D-....in fact , UTPA is a clone of Bradley numerically speaking...Bradley = UTPA....so it is probably more than a coincidence that we are favored by 3 in that we also beat Bradley by 3.

Our next best win is Ind St....D

A C team at home has to be pretty close to a D team on the road, right?

A C team at home has to be pretty close to a D team on the road, right?

Yes....My rule of thumb is you drop 2 steps on the road....for example a C become a D+ on the road or a B- becomes a C. However it varies from team to team. In this example SIU-C ( C ranked) drops to Bradley's level ( D- ) in Peoria ( a 4 step drop). This is partially due to greater parity, particularly in the mid to lower regions of college basketball. It is because of that parity in the mid to lower levels that it would easier for the Bills to move up from F+ if they can win a few.

Yes....My rule of thumb is you drop 2 steps on the road....for example a C become a D+ on the road or a B- becomes a C. However it varies from team to team. In this example SIU-C ( C ranked) drops to Bradley's level ( D- ) in Peoria ( a 4 step drop). This is partially due to greater parity, particularly in the mid to lower regions of college basketball. It is because of that parity in the mid to lower levels that it would easier for the Bills to move up from F+ if they can win a few.

We didn't play Bradley in a road game.

Crawford maybe a very good shooter while playing "horse" but in the game when he has people defending him he can not get the shot off. The problem is if you can not get the shot off in time then it really does not mean anything. People here are talking about him being able to shoot the 3 but he has not demonstrated any real proficiency. At this time, we are just not a good team. We need to figure out how to get better and putting a guy in who is slow of foot and slow on the release of his shot is not going to help much. By the way, during the last game he played more than 3.5 minutes.

Their are 351 D1 basketball teams. Sagarin ranks our schedule currently at 341. SIU's comes in at 333.

You are correct ....both SIU-C and the Bills have very weak schedules to this point. Carbondale whch has slipped to C- is not that far ahead of us. As I explained above, there seems to be more parity in the lower half of college basketball rankings this year. With that said the current difference between SIU-C and the Bills is that the weak Saluki wins are considered "better" wins than the weak Bills wins. Conversely, the Saluki losses are considered "better " than the Bills losses. As an example, I remember the NCAT game was very damaging to the Bills numbers even though we won. It was because we just barely beat a team that was an F-. Btw, NCAT is still F- and yet to win a game. Which brings up another point...when teams we have played do poorly, it hurts our numbers too

As for the Bradley/SIU-C grade comparison, I was just using that as an example of grading road vs home comparisons. Yes, Bradley,was a win on a neutral floor against a "better" team. But bragging we beat a D- team is splitting hairs.

Don't use facts on this board. They get in the way of how we want to see things

RPI has SLU's schedule at 324 and SIU's at 341.

Unlike the other metrics, Sports-Reference's SRS shows a big gap between SLU's schedule (-5.36) and SIU's (-10.28).

It's a shame you couldn't offer a fact-based argument for why Sagarin is somehow more meaningful at this stage of the season than the other two metrics. Although word on the street is you might hurt your chances of getting your Twitter account pasted to the homepage by doing so.

RPI has SLU's schedule at 324 and SIU's at 341.

Unlike the other metrics, Sports-Reference's SRS shows a big gap between SLU's schedule (-5.36) and SIU's (-10.28).

It's a shame you couldn't offer a fact-based argument for why Sagarin is somehow more meaningful at this stage of the season than the other two metrics. Although word on the street is you might hurt your chances of getting your Twitter account pasted to the homepage by doing so.

I perfer Sagarin and Pomeroy. They tend to have the better track record. Pomeroy has SLU's at 321 and SIU's is at 332. The point wasn't that our schedule was worse. The point is both schedules suck just about equally so far.

People refuse to see just how bad we are right now and I think part of the reason why is they don't realize how awful the schedule has been.

I like Crawford, but he's made 16 shots (3 of them were 3's...3 for 11). Of the other 13, how many weren't layups? Just wondering as I don't remember too many made jumpers. Seems like quite a few of the buckets I remember are him driving to the basket.

Finishing a layup on a drive to the basket is no small task for this team this year. We have to give credit when someone is actually converting those chances.

People refuse to see just how bad we are right now and I think part of the reason why is they don't realize how awful the schedule has been.

We're barely beating - or losing to - teams that we should be beating by double-digit margins.

I was looking at the schedule from 96-97 - we lost to UMKC by 21 and Maine at home by 3. Methdale beat us by 29 at Scottrade. Interestingly enough, that schedule also included Indiana, UCLA and Vandy. Looks like the team started to put things together a bit toward the end, picking up a few wins and losing a bunch of close games.

I perfer Sagarin and Pomeroy. They tend to have the better track record. Pomeroy has SLU's at 321 and SIU's is at 332. The point wasn't that our schedule was worse. The point is both schedules suck just about equally so far.

Brian, I am starting to see it your way. I keep waiting for us to flip the switch and turn into a mediocre team, but we seem incapable of doing that. I only saw about half of the Edwardsville game, but it had an opposite feel of the doomsday losses of years past. In the past when we struggled, we would get unlucky, shoot poorly, face a hot team, or just sleep walk. It was frustrating. This year I am not sure what to think.

During the Edwardsville game, it just looked like a contest between 2 evenly matched teams. No hot/cold shooting/refs/bad luck contributing to the close game. That is what I am most concerned with. During RM's 2 mediocre years, we won 7 and 8 games respectively in conference (not terrible). The prospect of Conference play is terrifying at the moment. What would happen if Edwardsville went to Fordham to play? I think the game would be pretty much the same. RM never fielded a "fordham-like" team, even though we were "rebuilding" in 2010.

I will continue to watch and hope that we will look better (especially on defense).

I hope something clicks tonight.

Brian, I am starting to see it your way. I keep waiting for us to flip the switch and turn into a mediocre team, but we seem incapable of doing that. I only saw about half of the Edwardsville game, but it had an opposite feel of a doomsday loss in year's past. In the past when we struggled, we would get unlucky, shoot poorly, face a hot team, or just sleep walk. It was frustrating. This year I am not sure what to think.

During the Edwardsville games, it just looked like a match-up of evenly matched teams. No hot/cold shooting/refs/bad luck contributing to the close game. That is what I am most concerned with. During RM's 2 mediocre years, we won 7 and 8 games respectively in conference (not terrible). The prospect of Conference play is terrifying at the moment. What would happen if Edwardsville went to Fordham to play? I think the game would be pretty much the same. RM never fielded a "fordham-like" team, even though we were "rebuilding" in 2010.

I will continue to watch and hope that we will look better (especially on defense).

Edwardsville would get run out of the gym by somebody like Mason or Fordham. That's scary in and of itself. Plus, 9 of those games will be on the road.

Yeah, conference is going to be a tough go.

Finishing a layup on a drive to the basket is no small task for this team this year. We have to give credit when someone is actually converting those chances.

Last there were complaints that Jett and McCall had trouble finishing layups because they were too short and if they were taller they could finish better. Well, we have 6'4" guards now who have trouble finishing. It's not just height involved.

Brian, I am starting to see it your way. I keep waiting for us to flip the switch and turn into a mediocre team, but we seem incapable of doing that. I only saw about half of the Edwardsville game, but it had an opposite feel of a doomsday loss in year's past. In the past when we struggled, we would get unlucky, shoot poorly, face a hot team, or just sleep walk. It was frustrating. This year I am not sure what to think.

During the Edwardsville games, it just looked like a match-up of evenly matched teams. No hot/cold shooting/refs/bad luck contributing to the close game. That is what I am most concerned with. During RM's 2 mediocre years, we won 7 and 8 games respectively in conference (not terrible). The prospect of Conference play is terrifying at the moment. What would happen if Edwardsville went to Fordham to play? I think the game would be pretty much the same. RM never fielded a "fordham-like" team, even though we were "rebuilding" in 2010.

I thought we would mediorce this season. I didn't see this coming.

Edwardsville would get run out of the gym by somebody like Mason or Fordham. That's scary in and of itself. Plus, 9 of those games will be on the road.

Yeah, conference is going to be a tough go.

Beating Vermont or Vanderbilt would make the conference schedule look a lot less imposing. The only two decent opponents we have faced so far made short work of us. But I am willing to give this team two more shots against decent (or at least halfway decent) opponents before declaring the conference season a lost cause. At this point, even a single-digit loss to Vandy would raise this team's stock a little.

Of course, all that's assuming the Bills manage to take care of business tonight.

Brian, I am starting to see it your way. I keep waiting for us to flip the switch and turn into a mediocre team, but we seem incapable of doing that. I only saw about half of the Edwardsville game, but it had an opposite feel of the doomsday losses of years past. In the past when we struggled, we would get unlucky, shoot poorly, face a hot team, or just sleep walk. It was frustrating. This year I am not sure what to think.

During the Edwardsville game, it just looked like a contest between 2 evenly matched teams. No hot/cold shooting/refs/bad luck contributing to the close game. That is what I am most concerned with. During RM's 2 mediocre years, we won 7 and 8 games respectively in conference (not terrible). The prospect of Conference play is terrifying at the moment. What would happen if Edwardsville went to Fordham to play? I think the game would be pretty much the same. RM never fielded a "fordham-like" team, even though we were "rebuilding" in 2010.

I don't remember RM having a team that lost 75% of the minutes played the previous year. Including Grandy we have lost 152 minutes per game.

Beating Vermont or Vanderbilt would make the conference schedule look a lot less imposing. The only two decent opponents we have faced so far made short work of us. But I am willing to give this team two more shots against decent (or at least halfway decent) opponents before declaring the conference season a lost cause. At this point, even a single-digit loss to Vandy would raise this team's stock a little.

Of course, all that's assuming the Bills manage to take care of business tonight.

If anything, winning one of those games is a nice confidence and morale boost for the team heading into A10 play. We will still struggle but the guys at least need to have the mentality that they can compete with anyone on their home court.