Bills over UTPA by 3

The Wiz

First a quick recap of SIU-E

We played an OK game against a weak team. While the numbers weren't good they were acceptable. One stat that was out of whack was TO's ...18 still way to high. Had we cut that down to 13 we would have won easy (double digits).

Which brings me to another point ...What is our potential? I have mentioned it a few times along with the word "gel" and "coming together" So I decided to run some numbers to see what that potential is . This team, at this point in time, should be averaging 66 ppg. or about 6 more points than we currently average...Had we been doing that we would have won 2 more games (SDakSt & TAMCC) Remember we are not talking about good or great games just average potential...a couple of more baskets and a couple of more free throws. That doable change would make a big difference in the numbers, in wins and in being competitive in all games. Another stat that needs watching is TO's as this number can destroy good offensive numbers. Average potential is 13...we currently are turning over at 14 /gm. So again, a very doable number (lowering TO's by 1 /gm) that would make a big difference. But even more so than averaging 13 /gm we need to hold to no more than 13 / gm. Against a team like SIU-e, 18 is unacceptable. So when you are watching a game game and see more than 6 TO's in a half, you know we are trending the wrong way.

So without getting too far off topic ...onto the game.

UTPA is a D- team (yes, they are better than SIU-e) The Bills are still F+. Why ? Because we did what was expected against SIU-e. This game should be close . It could come down to free throws (scary)

What do we need to do to win. ...Very easy ...Stop Joesaar...Who is Joesaar? Nothing much except he is their whole team (think Beane and Carbondale) Mr J averages nearly 20 ppg and about 8 1/2 rpg. Stop him and we win.

I was asked earlier what we need to do to climb out of the F category . Realistically, winning the next 2 would probably do it. However a big win (double digits) against the Broncs might do it. Question...is using the phrase "big win" in reference to this game an oxymoron?

What ever the answer, we are do for a breakout game...maybe this will be the one.

Go Bills

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good info Wiz. I've been worried about this game with UTPA... worried about a game with UTPA, WTF?

At any rate, I see that they're a little better than their usual awful selves and now know to look for the Joesaar guy. I also know he'll light us up because every player you say we have to stop lights us up.

Good info Wiz. I've been worried about this game with UTPA... worried about a game with UTPA, WTF?

At any rate, I see that they're a little better than their usual awful selves and now know to look for the Joesaar guy. I also know he'll light us up because every player you say we have to stop lights us up.

In their last game UTPA beat Lamar by 6 points @ UTPA. Lamar ( F+ ) is a team very similar to the Bills numbers wise. Lamar did not take care of Joesaar. He exploded for 29 points. This guy is not exceptionally big (6-6) and a soph yet he is 24th in the nation in scoring PPG (Beane ...SIU-C is 22nd) and 39th in D RPG ( Overall RPG...55th ) So this guy is a player.

On another point , it shows their are top notch players (Joesaar & Beane) who don't always wind up on Top 25 teams.

Finally, we have to take care of our business. In the SIU-e game we shot 30% (3-10) from the arc...not particularly good but way better than 11%. That extra 19% (two 3 pointers) was the difference in the SIU-e game.

Bottomline.... Do what we are supposed to do (avoid dismal numbers) and keep an eye on Mr. J. and we should be fine.

Finally, we have to take care of our business. In the SIU-e game we shot 30% (3-10) from the arc...not particularly good but way better than 11%. That extra 19% (two 3 pointers) was the difference in the SIU-e game.

Everyone not from North Hollywood combined to go 0-6. I thought the lack of three pointers was a pretty big concern. That's 2-23 in the last two games (both at home) for the other 11 players.

Is he just not cutting to the right spots? Are players not screening his man properly? Or are the plays just not specifically designed to get him open? I'll have to analyze Wednesday's game more closely when Crawford is in. I would just think he would be getting more touches/more shots off than he has been getting.

It still puzzles me why more plays aren't being run to get Crawford open on the perimeter for a 3 point shot. We were always able to run plays for Barnett last year, so why not Crawford?

There's a difference between running plays for someone and getting open shots within the flow of the offense

Crawford has not shown anything to say he should have plays run to free him up. He needs to prove he can shoot by getting open on his own and hitting some shots. Once he shows he can do that then you can start targeting him but right now he is not shooting any better than anyone else at least to the eye. I am amazed at people on the board who will focus on one game that has been an out liar and think that is now the standard for the player when it has not been. You earn being a center piece not given it by default.

Crawford has not shown anything to say he should have plays run to free him up. He needs to prove he can shoot by getting open on his own and hitting some shots. Once he shows he can do that then you can start targeting him but right now he is not shooting any better than anyone else at least to the eye. I am amazed at people on the board who will focus on one game that has been an out liar and think that is now the standard for the player when it has not been. You earn being a center piece not given it by default.

Crawford currently has the best shooting percentage on the team among the guards by a large margin. Crawford is shooting 47.1% and Ash is second 38.8%.

Crawford currently has the best shooting percentage on the team among the guards by a large margin. Crawford is shooting 47.1% and Ash is second 38.8%.

I like Crawford, but he's made 16 shots (3 of them were 3's...3 for 11). Of the other 13, how many weren't layups? Just wondering as I don't remember too many made jumpers. Seems like quite a few of the buckets I remember are him driving to the basket.

I like Crawford, but he's made 16 shots (3 of them were 3's...3 for 11). Of the other 13, how many weren't layups? Just wondering as I don't remember too many made jumpers. Seems like quite a few of the buckets I remember are him driving to the basket.

Does anyone on our team really take jump shots that aren't 3's? McBroom sometimes. But Crawford is probably 3-4 on the season on that 15 footer running off the screen on our inbounds play.

Crawford can shoot the ball, we have to get him more open looks. If he was the type of great shooter that can create his own shot at 6'3 or whatever he is, he wouldn't be at SLU. Run him off screens and let him get good looks at the basket. Not like anyone else is creating much of an offense right now anyway.

Crawford has hit some mid-range jumpers. He has the best form of anyone on the team, but needs to be open to get his shot off. I am amazed by the bad technique most of our shooters have. Obviously most of these guys had height or athleticism from a young age. I'm surprised they didn't get better instruction in their developmental years as to form for shooting jump shots and free throws.

Does anyone on our team really take jump shots that aren't 3's? McBroom sometimes. But Crawford is probably 3-4 on the season on that 15 footer running off the screen on our inbounds play.

Crawford can shoot the ball, we have to get him more open looks. If he was the type of great shooter that can create his own shot at 6'3 or whatever he is, he wouldn't be at SLU. Run him off screens and let him get good looks at the basket. Not like anyone else is creating much of an offense right now anyway.

Jolly has shown a real nice fade away. I just think the mid range jumper is just going the way of the dinosaur.

I have the most faith in Crawford getting things done. I want him to be the go to more often, but he doesnt seem to want to shoot. Its like he has a mental block or something. Iam disappointed every time he deosnt take the shot.

Maybe if MC played longer than 3 1/2 minute at a time some of his confidence in his shot would come back. He still makes the offense run better and helps the whole team play better. Far more understanding of the offense and defensive schemes than any of the freshmen.