Who disappears when the rotation gets cut down?

ARon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need Manning to be a tall, looming, physical presence around the rim, get some rebounds, get some garbage baskets. Right now Gillman and Jolly are not as effective. Both are high potential. And, I like Crawford, another threat to hit some 3's, and he really helps the flow on offense.

Bottom line, we are still locked into the grand experiment, the competition of all 12 players getting minutes. No one, not even on this board, can really justify cutting back to 8-9 right now. A bad situation since it has kind of backfired but it could pay off when some players finally step up consistently and we jell when it counts.

A rebuilding year, so be it.

We need Manning to be a tall, looming, physical presence around the rim, get some rebounds, get some garbage baskets. Right now Gillman and Jolly are not as effective. Both are high potential. And, I like Crawford, another threat to hit some 3's, and he really helps the flow on offense.

Bottom line, we are still locked into the grand experiment, the competition of all 12 players getting minutes. No one, not even on this board, can really justify cutting back to 8-9 right now. A bad situation since it has kind of backfired but it could pay off when some players finally step up consistently and we jell when it counts.

agree on MC, he needs more minutes.

Agree, I think some people are taking these horrible offensive stats/ratings way too seriously, considering the starting rotation hasn't even been truly defined at this point.

Agree, I think some people are taking these horrible offensive stats/ratings way too seriously, considering the starting rotation hasn't even been truly defined at this point.

I don't think there's been anything determined at this point.

I think MB is earning more minutes at PG, but would I want to see him play 30 a night right now? Probably not. I really hate the term "rebuilding year", but at some point I guess we have to call a spade a spade.

Jolly and Roby (who I was very high on when the season started) should have the shortest ropes. I am shocked Roby is still getting starts given the way he has looked lately.

+1 on both counts. Roby is driving me crazy with refusing to run the offense. We won't throw the ball in for our bigs. Most of the time, he catches it, drives into three defenders, and throws up a pointless shot. He needs to sit until he commits to running the offense.

I like Jolly, but he's the perfect example of a guy who comes away much better after a season of watching from the bench than from getting yelled at all season.

The other one I would mention would be Reynolds. I love his intensity and passion, but he has to get away from just trying to get to the free throw line constantly. He can put up some numbers that way, but it won't be good for his development in the long run. Just like with Jolly, he would benefit by watching guys having some success in our system.

I don't think there's been anything determined at this point.

I think MB is earning more minutes at PG, but would I want to see him play 30 a night right now? Probably not. I really hate the term "rebuilding year", but at some point I guess we have to call a spade a spade.

Rebuilding year is one thing, what we are presently enduring is harsher than a rebuilding year.

No, Manning's defense wasn't anything special. But he was still much better than Gillmann on the defensive end. I have been impressed with Gillmann's shooting, his passing, even his dribbling, but (as many others have pointed out) he has not shown anything defensively yet. Manning is still the best defensive big man on the roster. Take him out and this team gets worse. Whether Gillmann and Jolly would get better years down the road if they didn't have to split time with Manning now, I don't know for sure. But I do tend to think it's a stretch to say those 15-20 minutes Manning is getting now are somehow stunting the growth of the other two.

Now I have to turn right around and disagree with you. One on one, against a man that tries to post up, they have both done fine. Many of the times that Gillman and Jolly have looked bad on defense has been when they have left their man to pick up someon driving to the basket. In RM's "help" defense, that is what they are supposed to do. Then someone is supposed to rotate and take their man. This has not been happening. Everytime it does, you can see Gillman and Jolly look around and then look to the bench. Crews usually is staring down the culprit who did not rotate over. This situation gives the appearance of sloppy defense and leaving a man wide open, but it is just the opposite. It is what they are supposed to be doing.

I don't think Gillman and Jolly have been as bad as it seems on defense

You gotta do better than 43% FT. Bench Yarbrough. Play the Walk-On's Hines, Hollander, Leazer and Simpson. We'll go 4 on 5! Or maybe we can sneak Cheaney or Danny Brown in there.

Free Throws are over rated, dunks are better.

I'm all for continuing with the big rotation at this point, however, there are times I would like to see us get away from always having a true center. I don't think it is necessary all the time. There are a LOT of bad centers out there. I think there are certain match-ups where we can get away with an undersized 5. I would like to see some of RA and TL playing together. Let's see what we have with TL as a stretch 4. RA, while short, is strong enough to handle many centers we face, plus his quickness can create match-up problems against slow stiffs.

-this is in response to Stu's tweet about the rotation as that is not showing

-staff .if you want to or think you are forced to play 12 then play 12, but let them play, i find it hard to believe any continuity can be generated when we substitute as often as we have been

-41 substitutions in 35 minutes is too many

I don't think it's the fact we're rotating 12 players. I think it's that we're too quick to sub/rotate when the 5 out there are somewhat getting it together. For instance, I thought that game where BJ and AG were our bigs we looked pretty decent. Then suddenly we change for what appeared to be no good reason. This quick hook could prove to be a confidence crusher. Let 'em play through a few boneheaded plays, and teach 'em on the bench or in the film room.

As an addendum to the above, the only FR to my way of thinking who's separated himself from the others has been MY. Now AG may seem to have an edge over BJ, although he does seem to have more BB savy. As for the guards they've all showed glimpses but the race is too close to call.

Rebuilding year is one thing, what we are presently enduring is harsher than a rebuilding year.

This is the first time in the modern era that we can use rebuilding correctly. If you have not reached some level of success there is nothing to rebuild. It is what happens on the college level at least, when a group of players on same team experience the dance in this case a few years in a row. When they graduate team tries to rebuild to get back to the dance again. If we fail to get back to dance during the next 4 years than we are no longer rebuilding we are just treading water, whatever. As stinky as we look now and as bad as our record may be end of season we are in a rebuilding year and i'm proud to reached a level at which we can say it. I'll be amazed if we don't make it once at least once during the next 4 seasons.

This is the first time in the modern era that we can use rebuilding correctly. If you have not reached some level of success there is nothing to rebuild. It is what happens on the college level at least, when a group of players on same team experience the dance in this case a few years in a row. When they graduate team tries to rebuild to get back to the dance again. If we fail to get back to dance during the next 4 years than we are no longer rebuilding we are just treading water, whatever. As stinky as we look now and as bad as our record may be end of season we are in a rebuilding year and i'm proud to reached a level at which we can say it. I'll be amazed if we don't make it once at least once during the next 4 seasons.

It's going to take what last year's senior class did to keep SLU on the map.

Assuming this year is going to keep being painful, it'll take 3/3 from here.

It's going to take what last year's senior class did to keep SLU on the map.

Assuming this year is going to keep being painful, it'll take 3/3 from here.

And to be honest last year's senior class had a lot of things happen over there 4 years to help put them on the map. Year 2, Majerus is back in the national spotlight and built yet another school into a Tournament team. Year 3, that famous coach and face of the program passes away and SLU has a storybook season in the spotlight. Year 4, you have a new face of the program in Jordair Jett who is nationally recognized.

A rebuilding year in college basketball is one season without the NCAA. We will not be going to the NCAA next season either. This is going to be a multi season thing. Hopefully, it will be only two seasons.

A rebuilding year in college basketball is one season without the NCAA. We will not be going to the NCAA next season either. This is going to be a multi season thing. Hopefully, it will be only two seasons.

Jim Crews should not survive 2 consecutive seasons outside the NCAA. One, fine. Two is the start of a trend that I don't think we want to see.

We don't know how good next years team could be. I think there is enough talent that a trip to the tournament is possible. I'm saving my southwest miles for that trip.

Unless our sophomores all of a sudden start to turn it on then Brian is probably right. The freshmen this year will still need some help and 2 new freshmen will not do it. Without going to far afield, I remember a kid that played for Grawer - Leuchtfield, Jeff I think, he was not very good his first two years but his last two he really turned it on - he could shoot the lights out those last two years - I guess this is the exception rather than the rule.