Billiken All Century Team - Vote Grawer

SluSignGuy

SLU is doing an all century team. You can vote at games or online. And while this is likely a topic better discussed in the offseason. I think it is a good promotion. You can vote here:

http://www.saintlouisdev.com/index.php?p=1

In talking with fans around my seats at the games, I am convinced that Rich Grawer should get the all century coach spot. He may not have had the success of Spoon or Majerus, but from what the "old boys club" has told me over the years, he saved the program - literally. My impression is that Grawer and SLU had a less than amicable parting, and I think it would be tremendous to see Rich Grawer receive the recognition he deserves for saving the program.

Perhaps some will debate this...but that is what this message board is good for.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very tough to narrow it down to only 5 players. Maybe they should have gone with 1st, 2nd, & 3rd teams?

I could have gone a million different ways, but voted Macauley, Bonner, Ferry, Claggett & Highmark.

Claggs & Highmark are probably the hardest to justify, but my 8 year old self wouldn't allow me to not vote for them.

I voted Grawer based on your suggestion. Tough to choose between Hickey, Majerus, Grawer & Spoon. Hickey probably has the best argument on paper in terms of success. My 8 year old self wants to vote Spoon. Majerus is coach I would choose right now if I wanted to win. As you pointed out Grawer probably meant the most to the program.

Very tough to narrow it down to only 5 players. Maybe they should have gone with 1st, 2nd, & 3rd teams?

I could have gone a million different ways, but voted Macauley, Bonner, Ferry, Claggett & Highmark.

Claggs & Highmark are probably the hardest to justify, but my 8 year old self wouldn't allow me to not vote for them.

I voted Grawer based on your suggestion. Tough to choose between Hickey, Majerus, Grawer & Spoon. Hickey probably has the best argument on paper in terms of success. My 8 year old self wants to vote Spoon. Majerus is coach I would choose right now if I wanted to win. As you pointed out Grawer probably meant the most to the program.

I went with Boushka over Highmark with the other four as you have them. Boushka (players only played 3 years) is second in career scoring average and 11th total points. Eddie Hickey over Spoon and Majerus for coach.

Fun stuff. Appreciate SLU doing this.

I went with Jett because he was conference POY, and because I didn't want to choose four forwards/centers. I also wanted to represent five different eras, and could very easily have gone with Evans or even Mitchell to represent the Majerus/Crews tourney teams.

That's reasonable. I followed a similar strategy and chose players by "era." I however tweaked a bit at gave a nod to Marque Perry - which I probably shouldn't - but he was the most valuable Billiken in the Romar Soderberg era IMO (sorry Lisch).

It's also a little weird that Ellis and McCall made the ballot, but Loe did not.

They announced the criteria at the game. I did not fully catch it, but if you had 1,000 points - you made the ballot. Also something to do with all-conference teams.

I went with Macauley, Bonner, Boushka, Jett and Evans. The first two ought to be unanimous. Boushka/Ferry was a tough call, maybe even 50/50. Then I went with the modern guys who were the leaders of consistently ranked, back to back conference champions with 3 NCAA appearances and wins over the guys like Lisch, Highmark, Claggett and Mitchell who were great for less successful teams.

Oh, and Grawer based on Steve's reasoning.

They announced the criteria at the game. I did not fully catch it, but if you had 1,000 points - you made the ballot. Also something to do with all-conference teams.

I didn't catch that you had to fit into either of those categories to be eligible.

Seems a little weird to DQ somebody like Loe just because he ended up with a handful of fewer points than Ellis. They were about equal in terms of their career contributions, and I loved watching Ellis play, but I think most would agree that Loe's senior year was the best either of them had. It would be hard to overstate just how important Loe was to last year's top 10 run. And I haven't looked at the numbers in a while, but it's also hard for me to believe Loe wasn't worthy of even a fourth team all-conference nod last year.

Pulled up Boushka on Sports Reference. Interesting last paragaph. Maybe I will rethink my vote for tomorrow.

Dick Boushka played for St. Louis University and graduated in 1955, twice having received All-America mention. At the 1959 Pan American Games he was on the gold medal winning team. He played several seasons of AAU ball but never played in the NBA. He played most of his AAU career with the Wichita Vickers and had a career high game of 54 points. The Wichita Vickers were sponsored by Vickers Petroleum for whom Boushka also worked. Dick Boushka's sons carried on the family's athletic fame – two of them started for the Notre Dame football team, one played football and track at Kansas, and another, a heavily recruited high school quarterback, played at Stanford.

Boushka gradually rose up the company ladder until he became president of Vickers Petroleum in 1963. In 1980 Vickers was sold and Boushka left the company to start several of his own ventures, which were initially very successful, but it ended badly. He developed the Brittany shopping center in Wichita and the Woodlands Race Track in Kansas City. In December 2002 Boushka pleaded guilty in federal court to defrauding American Bank of more than $17 million for various real estate deals. Under an agreement with the U.S. Attorney's office, Boushka pleaded guilty to two counts of bank fraud and one count each of making a false statement to obtain a bank loan and omission of information for the sale of a security. He was eventually sentenced to a 70-month prison term.

I swear to god that I kept reading this and wondering why all the love for Carlos Mccauley..............

........which brings me to the point......being 45, I know next to nothing about Easy-Ed, Dick-the felon-Boushka, Rogers, Ferry, Burns or anyone else prior to Bonner. I didn't vote due to ignorance. A lesson I learned after Al Hanson.......

This poll is virtually impossible to pick. I made my own self-limitation of players I actually saw play and coaches I saw coach.

Players: Bonner, Burns, Claggett, Evans, Jett. I voted for David Burns, as he was Co-Metro Conference Player of the Year, and was the star when I was a SLU undergraduate student.

If I could keep voting, Larry Hughes, K. Mitchell, Douglass, Gray, Highmark, Harry Rogers. All of those nominees on the list deserve recognition, every single one of them.

Coach: Grawer.

I agree, it would be a tremendous honor for Coach Grawer. My four undergraduate years at SLU coincided with the four years of Ekker. SLU was literally at rock bottom when Coach Grawer assumed command of the SLU program. You youngsters have no idea, could not possibly have an understanding, of what it was like back then. But Coach Grawer built the program back to respectability from the ashes. As I have said, Coach Grawer was our Moses, leading the SLU program out of the wilderness, but not allowed himself to enter the Promised Land of the NCAA Tournament. No that role was assumed by Coach Spoonhour, our Joshua, who led SLU to 3 NCAA Tournaments, the first 2 with the Grawer recruits, Claggett and Highmark, playing key roles, and the third with the Local Legend, #20 Larry Hughes.

If I can vote a second time, I might vote for Hughes ahead of Burns. Who will ever forget when Hughes torched Marquette for 40 points at the Bradley Center? You talk about the Ultimate Billiken Justice- that, my friends, was it.

Grawer, Spoonhour and Majerus should all be on the list, and frankly so should Jim Crews with his 2 NCAA Tournament appearances and 60-18 won-loss record at SLU.

Before my time, SLU had Coach Ed Hickey, who had the SLU program in the Top 5, All-American Ed Macauley, as well as Dick Boushka and Bob Ferry.