Glaze Hurt

SluSignGuy

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would much rather keep everyone than get an extra year of Glaze (nothing against Grandy--we certainly could have used his rebounding this year). But if somebody does end up going, I would probably rather see it be any one of the sophomores over any one of the freshmen.

Grandy Glaze = Justin Johnson = Bryce Husak. Five years didn't help there. And what are we talking about here in terms of output? John Manning-esque numbers.

I told you the issue with the injury. If it is what I had, surgery is the only answer. That or not playing EVER again. And then it could happen again opening a car door, or executing a dance spin. I popped one once flicking my wrist. Once again, sticking it out in school and on the team does not seem to guarantee player growth and development for us for some reason. If Glaze graduates on time, and selects a grad majornot offered at SLU, he is not restricted ot a Lindenwood/Maryville ending. First question would be is he on time? Second and more importantly, who would want him? Just not a lot on his "resume," so to speak.

Nice kid. Feel bad.

I don't think the rule about the major not being offered at SLU would apply to him. That's only for guys who already transferred once as undergrads. Grandy never transferred, so he should be eligible anywhere next year even in a grad program that's offered at SLU.

I don't think the rule about the major not being offered at SLU would apply to him. That's only for guys who already transferred once as undergrads. Grandy never transferred, so he should be eligible anywhere next year even in a grad program that's offered at SLU.

That isn't true. It would have to be a grad program not offered at SLU in order for a player to avoid sitting out a year.

Or will there be a transfer that opens up a scholarship.

Transfers are totally a wild card. What is the current transfer rate in the NCAA, something like 20%. So odds are that one of the freshmen or sophomores will leave. If either McBroom or Ash left, they would likely have to go to DII as they have already sat for one year. Never say never.

You know the long list or reasons; doesn't like the system, not enough PT, academic issues, wants to be closer to home, or on the other end, a trouble maker, etc. Just because a student elects to leave doesn't mean it is a negative situation.

Grandy Glaze = Justin Johnson = Bryce Husak. Five years didn't help there. And what are we talking about here in terms of output? John Manning-esque numbers.

I'm not saying I necessarily want an extra year of Grandy, but I think you are short selling Grandy quite a bit by comparing him to Justin Johnson or Husak. Justin Johnson was truly worthless. Never in 4 years did have average more than 2.9 ppg or 2.7 rpg. He played 98)(!) games scored just 230 points shooting 41% from the floor, grabbed just 211 rebounds and had only 18 blocks. He also played on pretty mediocre teams. Husak was a bit better. After 3 awful years, he had a mediocre senior year where he averaged 5.5 ppg and 4.3 rpg while blocking 32 shots. In total Husak played 84 games, scored 250 points on 49% shooting, grabbed 218 rebounds, and blocked 59 shots. Husak's teams were also bad and perhaps worse than Johnson's. It has also been reported that Bryce was one of the nicest guys ever if that gets him any sympathy.

Glaze meanwhile maxed out at 3.8 ppg and 4.5 rpg last year. In total he has played 68 games, scored 209 points on 48% shooting, grabbed 223 rebounds, and blocked 13 shots. Grandy also did this for 3 NCAA tournament teams.

None of the 3 contributed much to speak of in terms of assists or steals (though Grandy's #s look best) and all were mediocre to poor FT shooters.

Aside from Husak's ability to block shots his Sr year, neither he nor Johnson contributed anything to bad teams. Grandy's rebounding was a much greater contribution than anything either of those guys did. Grandy was/is a useful piece as an energy guy who can rebound on a team that has other guys who can score. If you are generous, you can probably make an argument that without the shoulder injury his numbers would have been better. I don't recall any such injuries limiting Johnson or Husak.

I won't touch on Manning other than to say that his only contribution like Husak is blocked shots. Grandy was a better rebounder and scorer despite giving up 5 or 6 inches.

Semi OT: Researching this post has made me realize that Justin Johnson might take the crown for the worst player in Billiken history to have gotten any decent amount of playing time. This may be a good topic for an off-season thread if anyone is feeling masochistic.

Grandy made a big jump last year in rebounding on a per minute basis. If he had been able to match that this year in a bigger role, he could've been the big difference-maker Majerus originally sold him as. Pretty sad he won't get that chance this year. Even if he plays it's hard to imagine him at anything close to full strength if it's really a torn rotator cuff.

But the assumption is he's already going to sit out this year.

That's irrelevant. Hypothetically, he would use his redshirt this season, but you still have to sit out a year if you transfer after using your redshirt. You have 5 years to complete your 4 years of eligibility unless you can get a waiver from the NCAA allowing you to play a 6th season. This is extremely rare and typically only occurs if players have lost 2 seasons to injury. Thus, he would need to find a school that had a graduate program SLU doesn't offer if he wanted to transfer to another school to finish his eligibility.

How is sitting out a year irrelevant to sitting out a year? Why would this year not count? Biedscheid's "red shirt" semester at Notre Dame was supposed to count toward his year of sitting out before joining the Mizzou team.

If you say Grandy would have to sit out a year if he wanted an MA in communications (his current major) in order to play his senior year of eligibility, I will believe you. But man, if so that is yet another really messed up consequence of NCAA rules.

How is sitting out a year irrelevant to sitting out a year? Why would this year not count? Biedscheid's "red shirt" semester at Notre Dame was supposed to count toward his year of sitting out before joining the Mizzou team.

If you say Grandy would have to sit out a year if he wanted an MA in communications (his current major) in order to play his senior year of eligibility, I will believe you. But man, if so that is yet another really messed up consequence of NCAA rules.

I expanded on my prior post before you posted this response. Biedscheid would have been eligible after first semester of this season. He still would have lost a semester of his 4 years of eligibility, but transferring mid-year allowed him to preserve 1 semester of his redshirt for the year he had to sit out after transferring. The semester he redshirted while still at Notre Dame didn't technically count towards his year sitting out. I hope that makes sense.

One more question, though--if Biedschied was going to lose a semester of eligibility regardless, then he essentially accomplished nothing by sitting out the first semester at ND, right? Because if he had gone on and played during the first semester, he would have been in a Keith Carter situation and still would've been eligible the second semester of the next year anyway.

One more question, though--if Biedschied was going to lose a semester of eligibility regardless, then he essentially accomplished nothing by sitting out the first semester at ND, right? Because if he had gone on and played during the first semester, he would have been in a Keith Carter situation and still would've been eligible the second semester of the next year anyway.

Essentially yes. Although his situation was weird and it's unclear whether he wanted to play or what was going on.

If Cam had played at Mizzou this year he would have been classified as a sophomore and would have still had two more years of eligibility after this season. If Cam had played at ND the first semester and then transferred to Mizzou and played this year he would have been classified as a junior. Hence it did make sense for him to redshirt last year at ND. Of course, there is a list a mile long of other things he did that didn't make sense but I don't think that is one of them.

My understanding is that if he doesn't play this year and graduates, Grandy could transfer to any D1 school that offers a grad school major SLU doesn't offer.

Additionally, I believe (although I'm not 100% sure) the same applies to Ash and Austin if they graduate. That is something the coaching staff will need to be cognizant of as playing time is divided over the next 3 months. If they limit playing time this season for either of those two, they may simply leave.

If Cam had played at Mizzou this year he would have been classified as a sophomore and would have still had two more years of eligibility after this season. If Cam had played at ND the first semester and then transferred to Mizzou and played this year he would have been classified as a junior. Hence it did make sense for him to redshirt last year at ND. Of course, there is a list a mile long of other things he did that didn't make sense but I don't think that is one of them.

My understanding is that if he doesn't play this year and graduates, Grandy could transfer to any D1 school that offers a grad school major SLU doesn't offer.

Additionally, I believe (although I'm not 100% sure) the same applies to Ash and Austin if they graduate. That is something the coaching staff will need to be cognizant of as playing time is divided over the next 3 months. If they limit playing time this season for either of those two, they may simply leave.

You're right. It's just that most guys, though, don't begin their redshirt year at the their "old" school. It sure couldn't have been all that comfortable for him to live/eat/study with, among and around his teammates, coaches and fellow ND students/fans. All I can figure is that he was not ready to leave ND in August and go elsewhere (such as Mizzou) and that he truly did not make up his mind to leave until some time later (September?) b/c doesn't basketball practice officially begin the middle of October?