Lowery agrees to 7 year deal w/SIU

>Guess he didn't have the cajones to make more than that in

>the meatgrinder of the Big 10. Too much pressure to win

>maybe.

>

>Still, he'll likely not get that opportunity again.

So you've posted this smack on the Illini board as well as this one. Who are you a fan of? Either way, your jealousy is very apparent!

>It will pay him $750,000/year. Didn't see it posted so my

>apologies if it was posted earlier.

Wait a minute! Kentucky offered Donovan $4 million over 7 years, which comes to roughly $570,000+ a year and Lowery is going to make $750,000 a year? That doesnt make sense.

you took the words out of my mouth.

I'm happy for SIU and Lowry. He has done very good things at SIU and deserves this. He seems to be a class guy. I have no doubt he could have left this year and at least equaled that 750K elsewhere in a bigger conference

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Based on some of Lowery's earlier comments, I am a little surprised that he locked himself in for 7 years. I am sure SIUC's message was: we'll pay you the big $$$ but you've got to commit to us long-term. Still, I wonder if the contract has a kick-out clause in it that would allow Lowery to leave after 3-4 years without a buyout and/or leave without a buyout under certain circumstances or for 1 or 2 specific jobs. If SIUC really has him signed to a 7 year unrestricted contract its a great move for them; I think Lowery may be one of the best 2-3 young coaches out there, maybe the best.

There has been a lot of talk among the coaching fraternity that the new Donovan deal will bring about another round of raises for a lot of the top coaches. Donovan will be offered between $3.5 and $4.0 million to go to Kentucky and it is assumed that Florida will match or come close to matching in order to keep him.

As I posted the other day from the USA Today article. The "average" salary for the 73 coaches in the big conferences (Big East, Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, Big 12 and ACC) is $1.2 million dollars. There are other coaches who make more than a million a year that are not in those conferences. Once Donovan signs his new deal we can expect to see the average to go up.

if this offer to Donovan is true...the gap between the have's and have not's will widen even more imo

sure there are places like florida or kentycky where they can afford to pay a coach this amount, i don't know how many places like this there are maybe 20, i have not thought about that, but if uk pays their guy 4mil and the rest of those that can buck up to their guy, then the gulf widens

i am not sure this is good for the game, not to try to be overdramatic, but could this be another straw that leads to the bcs splitting from the rest all together??

could that force bcs schools to schedule other bcs schools only (sort of like what could happen here in MO with high school public/privae split)??

and not all of the bcs schools can afford this salary level, either

will be interesting to see where this leads....

Today, a contract is only good for the individual that signs it not the organization who gives it. I am sure Lowery has a kick out or buy out clause. If he does not than he got really bad advice. You can sign a contract for 50 years who cares - it only is honored if the coach screws up and nobody wants him. Coaches can simply get the boosters from the school who wants him to pay the buy out clause. This signing only means that it will cost another school more money to get Lowery - this does not necessarily mean that he may even still be there next year.