Soderberg to assist at UVa

Wow, really interesting. Great to hear, and good for Brad.

He was a Dick Bennett disciple, through and through. Was Bennett's assistant at Wisconsin when they made that Final Four run, and replaced him when Bennett unexpectedly retired right after it. He ran Bennett's system for one year there as the interim, but they let him go for Bo Ryan - and obviously he ran the same system here when he was promoted after a season under Romar.

It's certainly a seamless fit in terms of game strategy and probably practice philosophy, as well.

Surprising considering his one son is still in HS. Still good for him. I rag on him pretty consistently but he is a good coach. Just can't recruit. His teams usually played above their talent level.

Whitesell went to Buffalo? Yikes he's a better coach than that. Why didn't we hire him.

Surprising considering his one son is still in HS. Still good for him. I rag on him pretty consistently but he is a good coach. Just can't recruit. His teams usually played above their talent level.

Whitesell went to Buffalo? Yikes he's a better coach than that. Why didn't we hire him.

Buffalo is a tournament team next year, and will be hovering around the top25 preseason

Actually shimmy was a dynamite personality. She was just not a good practice and floor coach. Sounds Like She Was hired To recruit. She will do fine as a recruiter.

Actually shimmy was a dynamite personality. She was just not a good practice and floor coach. Sounds Like She Was hired To recruit. She will do fine as a recruiter.

I agree - recruiting was her big thing where ever she worked before us. Sometimes it is best to recognize what you are good at and stick with it otherwise you Peter Principle yourself to the unemployment line.

I agree - recruiting was her big thing where ever she worked before us. Sometimes it is best to recognize what you are good at and stick with it otherwise you Peter Principle yourself to the unemployment line.

If you didn't like Jim Crew's substitution pattern last year you would have hated Shimmie's It was like watching a Chineese fire drill.

Brad was a good coach, but a terrible recruiter. Shimmy, a good recruiter, but a terrible coach. If we could get those two to procreate, their kid would be a well rounded coach.

Or he or she has her coaching ability, and his recruiting skills, leaving just a world class MBM....

If you didn't like Jim Crew's substitution pattern last year you would have hated Shimmie's It was like watching a Chineese fire drill.

Loved Shimmy but I think she was a little too emotionally driven. I think as she matures as a coach she could be very good. she seemed to have trouble keeping players in the program

Brad brought Kevin Lisch, Tommie Liddell, two legit top 100 players, and Marcus Relphorde, a legit swingman, to West Pine. Polk was an explosive top 150 player who could make threes in bunches. He blew out his knee as a junior and never could attack the rim after that. To make matters worse, he developed Steve Sax disease at SLU and couldn't make a perimeter shot. Darren Clarke was an athletic three star who was being recruited by Big 10 schools as a junior. We were lucky to get him. He scored 41 points in one of the biggest AAU events of the summer, injured his ankle as a senior and was an earthbound player at SLU. Dustin Maguire was a three star recruit who could shoot the lights out but got in Brad's doghouse for his poor defense.

If we had a deep roster, the team would have been able to withstand the players that didn't pan out. The problem was Brad never had more than 7 solid D1 recruits on the roster at any one time. So you had guys like Anthony Drejaj, who should have been your 10th man, playing 25 min a game. I would have liked to see if Brad could put together a complete roster recruiting to Chaifetz Arena but that wasn't in the cards.

3star...really interesting thoughts there.

I would argue that those recruits that you mentioned did not fit Brad's system even though they were held in high regard by the recruiting sites.

I would take Fish as a point guard every year to play the pack defense ala UVA. Polk doesnt fit in that system of tough physical defense bc he stood at about 5'8. Maguire, and Darren Clarke also could not be expected to be tough and play good D. I think that Brad thought that he could just recruit talent and then mold them to play in the style of the pack D. That was his downfall...in addition to only have 7 D1 bodies as 3star already stated.

If you look at UVA, they are all physically imposing bodies (Even Perrantes is 6'2 as the PG).

Could Brad have brought that kind of player to the shining lights of Chafeitz?...the world will never know. But at least the RM years were fun.

I expected Majerus's tenure to be short due to his health. Tragically his health was even worse than we thought. But at some point we had to find out whether Chaifetz had fixed our recruiting problem. We have at least 10 solid D-1 players on the roster. And Crews wasn't known for deep rosters at Evansville. I'd say the Arena has done its job.

I really think the meme that Brad couldn't recruit was overblown. Romar is a great recruiter and he couldn't field a complete roster either. Yeah, I know he swung and missed on some top 100-150 recruits on the West Coast but the end result was eerily similar. West Pine was our worst enemy.

Happy for Brad on his new gig. A chance to coach D1 again, in an elite conference, in a cool town too.

Shimmy, on the other hand, I couldn't care less. I was done with her once she made her petty comment about Teresa Lisch after Teresa graduated a year early, got married, and moved off to Europe to live with her husband, while also playing some basketball.

Happy for Brad on his new gig. A chance to coach D1 again, in an elite conference, in a cool town too.

Shimmy, on the other hand, I couldn't care less. I was done with her once she made her petty comment about Teresa Lisch after Teresa graduated a year early, got married, and moved off to Europe to live with her husband, while also playing some basketball.

Sounds harsh, but I've never liked Shimmy.

She was supremely overrated until she was fired and her comments about Lisch turned me off.