VCU Backlash Continues

Taj79

3 star I agree this is exactly what VCU fans think "fine" means. That is too bad for them. They have to understand that from next year on the VCU brand of basketball is likely to be different than what it was under Shaka. Wade may become the target of a lot of negativity from the fans.

They should be "fine" in the long term (near the top of the A10 and in the dance year after year). But with the entire freshman class plus Tillman gone, and Larrier possibly gone too, they could easily be not "fine" this coming season (middle of the pack or worse in A10).

They should be "fine" in the long term (near the top of the A10 and in the dance year after year). But with the entire freshman class plus Tillman gone, and Larrier possibly gone too, they could easily be not "fine" this coming season (middle of the pack or worse in A10).

where have you heard anything about larrier leaving? I haven't heard anything close to this...

Grawer was Billiken basketball -- the face, the savior.... of Billiken basketball and yet Spoon successfully re-recruited Highmark and Claggett and got them to stay. Spoon then left and Romar got Marquis Perry and Justin Love to stay. Romar left and possibly Brad's best recruiting year was that first Spring after Romar left. Majerus had no problem keeping Brad's players and in landing his first recruiting class which whom Brad had been working hard and then Crews was able to keep all of Majerus' players except for Carter.

Spoon had an aura that reached the Saint Louis market and beyond and used pretty much the same style x and o as Grawer and usually competed very well against our somewhat favored teams. Many of us really benefitted from what Grawer was able to do with local recruiting and re creating a fan base; but there was no downside to the

Spoon hire in the face of Grawer/Winfield melt down in their final season. The cupboard may have been closer to bare when Shaka opted for Texas and he was probably a good judge of what he faced the next few years. He was pretty much the program. But even the loss of Diamonte Weber brought him down a rung. Even a big name coach would be considered a let down after Shaka Smart. The real question will be: will Texas start competiting in the BIG 8-12?

Man, that a$$ of a band director they have is going to be crying himself to sleep a lot next year.

Since someone called out VCU fans for not posting (sorry Billikens is not a board I check everyday unless it's our game week with you), I'll respond.

The current roster (rising sophomores through senior) will stay. The only de commit VCU is still in the hunt with, is #81 Kenny Williams. Before VCU received his commitment, he was pursued by UNC, Georgetown. They're back in the hunt, along with UVA and possibly Michigan.

That band director's been with the program over at least 3 VCU coaches, he's not crying. That "fat horned guy" has been through (I think) 4 coaches. VCU has had a lot of band wagoners join since the Final Four, but our most prominent fans have been around a while. Don't misconstrue VCU's board meltdown (mostly new fans) as the norm. Many of us have been around for a while. When things turn around for SLU (or if you make a F4) you'll get the rush of some band wagoners with wild expectations. To be fair new VCU coach Will Wade set the expectations high by saying the goal was a F4 and championship during his presser.

Spoon had an aura that reached the Saint Louis market and beyond and used pretty much the same style x and o as Grawer and usually competed very well against our somewhat favored teams. Many of us really benefitted from what Grawer was able to do with local recruiting and re creating a fan base; but there was no downside to the

Spoon hire in the face of Grawer/Winfield melt down in their final season. The cupboard may have been closer to bare when Shaka opted for Texas and he was probably a good judge of what he faced the next few years. He was pretty much the program. But even the loss of Diamonte Weber brought him down a rung. Even a big name coach would be considered a let down after Shaka Smart. The real question will be: will Texas start competiting in the BIG 8-12?

The biggest differences between Grawer's and Spoon's teams were: 1) the superior physical strength of Spoon's teams as opposed to finesse of Grawer; 2) the mental strength and confidence of Spoon's teams -- which always seemed to win close games; and 3) the quantity of good players (deeper bench) Spoon would use who just kept coming after opponents as opposed to Grawer's starting 5. And for clarification, my comments are really between Grawer's teams and Spoon's SMS teams. These same traits from his SMS teams, though, carried over to Spoon's Billiken teams.

Since someone called out VCU fans for not posting (sorry Billikens is not a board I check everyday unless it's our game week with you), I'll respond.

The current roster (rising sophomores through senior) will stay. The only de commit VCU is still in the hunt with, is #81 Kenny Williams. Before VCU received his commitment, he was pursued by UNC, Georgetown. They're back in the hunt, along with UVA and possibly Michigan.

That band director's been with the program over at least 3 VCU coaches, he's not crying. That "fat horned guy" has been through (I think) 4 coaches. VCU has had a lot of band wagoners join since the Final Four, but our most prominent fans have been around a while. Don't misconstrue VCU's board meltdown (mostly new fans) as the norm. Many of us have been around for a while. When things turn around for SLU (or if you make a F4) you'll get the rush of some band wagoners with wild expectations. To be fair new VCU coach Will Wade set the expectations high by saying the goal was a F4 and championship during his presser.

What's the latest on Justin Tillman?

Thanks for the input from a VCU fan.

Unfortunately for you guys, the tenure of your band director does not change his level of ******.

What's the latest on Justin Tillman?

He decided to stay. Our PG said that everyone will be staying who's currently on the roster (yes we were worried about Larrier).

With Shaka gone, the ban on social media was lifted. It's nice to hear things straight from the source, and not have to rely on a random poster's "source". Our new coach helped recruit the rising senior and juniors, but had little to no contact with the sophomores and none with the decommitted recruits. We knew he'd have to prove himself to the sophomores and decommits, unfortunate about the recruiting class but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...