Tatum Rally on Wednesday

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, the average student probably doesn't know who Tatum is. I still remember a game in the 13-14 season when I mentioned to a SLUnatic "leader" that Jayson Tatum was at the game and we should do a chant, and he proceeded to look Tatum up on his phone. If the team is good, students will show up to the games and be rowdy, but if not, I don't think they can be bothered generally. I certainly don't think a lot of people will show up on a Wednesday afternoon and wait for 30-45 minutes to cheer for someone who they likely think will never go to SLU.

Just talking to friends around campus about Tatum, the general consensus seems to be the thought that Tatum just has us on his list because his dad went here, and that he will absolutely go to Duke or Kentucky. They don't understand that we legitimately have a good chance of landing him.

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

So you think the average student at Duke knows all about Tatum but that SLU students just don't? Get with the program. The "leaders" of all student groups (here, a student college basketball fan club) SHOULD know more about Tatum than the rest of the student body. This is nothing new. Now, here's a thought, how about the leaders of the Slunatics write/send/post/tweet about Tatum, inform them who Tatum is, make the case why he should come to SLU, inform them of the impact he would have on SLU and then invite them to come and welcome him. Thereafter, remind them often. Finally, when it is over, thank them.

Could someone inform the SLUnatics facebook page poster that it is spelled JAYSON.

That goes for everyone else around here too. Feel free to misspell the name if he chooses Duke.

They have been informed.

Word is spreading pretty quickly. There will also be fliers handed out tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday

So you think the average student at Duke knows all about Tatum but that SLU students just don't? Get with the program. The "leaders" of all student groups (here, a student college basketball fan club) SHOULD know more about Tatum than the rest of the student body. This is nothing new. Now, here's a thought, how about the leaders of the Slunatics write/send/post/tweet about Tatum, inform them who Tatum is, make the case why he should come to SLU, inform them of the impact he would have on SLU and then invite them to come and welcome him. Thereafter, remind them often. Finally, when it is over, thank them.

Huh?? I'm just trying to temper expectations for the people who are hoping that hundreds of students stand around for 30 minutes and cheer as a recruit-- one that the average fan either doesn't know about or doesn't expect to come here-- walks by. And yes, I think the average Duke student is probably more knowledgable about college basketball recruiting than the average SLU student, if simply because they are recruiting these guys every year. They get excited about recruits coming in. I'd bet a lot of money that less than 1% of SLU students would recognize the name Welmer or Neufeld.

I'd be very happy to be wrong. I'd love to see hundreds of students and fans out there. I'll be there with friends. I'm just trying to be realistic based upon my experiences talking about Tatum with other students. Now if we could somehow get free pizza out there...

They have been informed.

Word is spreading pretty quickly. There will also be fliers handed out tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday

HATE. GIT SUM, BUDDY.

Thanks for leading the charge. I'll my gotdamn pants if we get Tatum. And probably be at at least half a dozen games next year.

+1

Most Duke fans are posers anyway. One of my colleagues' daughter goes to Duke. He asked her a few weeks ago if she has been watching the basketball team. She said she would watch if they made the final four.

Huh?? I'm just trying to temper expectations for the people who are hoping that hundreds of students stand around for 30 minutes and cheer as a recruit-- one that the average fan either doesn't know about or doesn't expect to come here-- walks by. And yes, I think the average Duke student is probably more knowledgable about college basketball recruiting than the average SLU student, if simply because they are recruiting these guys every year. They get excited about recruits coming in. I'd bet a lot of money that less than 1% of SLU students would recognize the name Welmer or Neufeld.

I'd be very happy to be wrong. I'd love to see hundreds of students and fans out there. I'll be there with friends. I'm just trying to be realistic based upon my experiences talking about Tatum with other students. Now if we could somehow get free pizza out there...

Agree. You guys have your work cut out for you. Props to you, D_W, and the others leading the charge.

We aren't Duke. No use pretending we are. The fact that we aren't Duke is why it will be such a great story (not just on a local level, but nationally) if this kid does decide to stay home.

I remember hearing that when Kevin Lisch visited with his parents they sat down with Biondi and ended up having an in-depth discussion on church doctrine with the basketball coaches obviously unable to contribute to that discussion.

That must have been a really interesting conversation.

"Kevin, let me tell you from experience. This whole concept of a 'Jesuit identity' is perfect for a guy your age. It lets you do exactly as I have: When it's to your advantage to adhere to doctrine, go for it. When it's not, just tell them that your Jesuit identity allows you to think differently from the crowd. Hypothetical: You come to school here, and we hire a basketball coach to take us -- and you -- to the next level. Now say this guy isn't exactly "doctrinaire." I'd just say he was expressing his own views according to the Jesuit tradition of open intellectual debate. Pretty cool, huh? Now let me tell you the story about what comprises a 'Catholic' hospital...."

Kathy Lisch used to walk around the neighborhood with a Rosary, actually saying the Rosary. She is very religious and very devout and also a wonderful person. She was probably more devout than some Jesuits. Not sure about Kevin as he was just a kid back then.