Tatum Rally on Wednesday

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you mean by "we?" I'm hoping that a major benefit of this exercise is to re-establish the connection between St. Louis (the city, not the school) basketball fans and the school. You can't even get a ticket at the door for Chaminade basketball games. Althoff, when they play in smaller venues, will be a tough ticket next year. This enthusiasm for high school basketball can absolutely be transferred to the college level. But you have to get some of your high school stars to stay.

If you're counting on the enthusiam of the general student population to tilt the recruiting scales, you're looking in the wrong direction . This is a provincial town. Fans love rooting for local guys. But those fans are off-campus, not on it. The students will eventually come along for the ride.

Agree with 3 star completely. This is where our strength lies.

In all truth, as had already been said, we cannot put out the same kind of rally that UK could. We cannot compete with Duke or UK in terms of the quality of our recruits or the consistency in going to the NCAAB tournament each year. SLU is different from these basketball powerhouses and cannot be confused by anyone with them. What we have to offer is different, we are local, we are a school that graduates kids, not a revolving door for one and outs. As a school we have a strong set of values. These are the areas in which we can beat UK and Duke, let's make no mistake about this.

If JT decides to come to SLU, it will be for reasons other than the excellence and status of our basketball program. If he decides to come here it will be a very different decision than what the one he would have to make to go to Duke or UK. Let's just keep this in mind, he is not going to come to SLU ONLY BECAUSE OF BASKETBALL. If he comes to SLU the attraction for him will lie elsewhere, in SLU itself and in St. Louis. We have to emphasize the differences between us and the other programs, not just try to copy their methods if we really want him to choose for us.

I agree that Tatum coming to slu would do a ton for attendance, fan excitement, connection to the city, etc.

But this thread is about a fan rally during an on campus visit. I can't see how any group other than students could pull it off.

Tatum choosing us would be akin to community service, as slu72 aptly put it. I'm sure Justin and Larry have already explained the domino effect his choice will likely have. But he isn't going to be rewarded with an outpouring of affection from an apathetic student body before he makes his choice. That's part of the deal. It's a leap of faith on Jayson's part.

So how can UK or Duke fill the gyms with students? Someone has to open the doors...

They don't typically hold rallies for recruits. Rather they bring recruits in during things like football games, midnight madness, big games against rivals etc. the students are already assembled and it doesn't take much for them to start a chant or orchestrate something for the recruit to "show the love"

They don't typically hold rallies for recruits. Rather they bring recruits in during things like football games, midnight madness, big games against rivals etc. the students are already assembled and it doesn't take much for them to start a chant or orchestrate something for the recruit to "show the love"

I think this is exactly correct. SLU students had several opportunities to impress Tatum when he attended games this past season. I think Jayson Tatum is intelligent enough to understand that a choice to attend SLU is more about his future in his hometown after his NBA career than it is about one season in college. If he comes to SLU and leads the Billikens back to the tournament, maybe even with a deep run, he will be St. Louis royalty. However, if he doesn't plan to spend much time in St. Louis after his career, then I doubt he is even really considering SLU.

Call his dad at CBC. He might tell you, seriously.

The two will be there at around 5:15-5:30 pm to meet with Pestello and coaches. Organizing students/alumni/band/cheerleaders to meet at 4:00 pm in the Quad so they can walk by on their way to the meeting.

Justin loved the idea. So there's that.

Also, Jayson is not being told about the rally so do not attach his twitter to any posts on social media

If anyone here runs the SLUnatics facebook page, it might be a good idea to actually post the time and location of the rally. It currently only states that he will be on campus Wednesday and that we should give him a warm welcome.

That was before I found out the time. Also, we don't want him to really know about the rally so I would make a new post that does not include his twitter.

Arrive at 4:00-4:15 pm. They will walk by at 5:00 pm.

That was before I found out the time. Also, we don't want him to really know about the rally so I would make a new post that does not include his twitter.

Arrive at 4:30 pm. They will walk by at 5:00 pm.

do you run the facebook and twitter page?

If you truly get hundreds of kids there with the full band that will be a nice effect.

If you have 16 students with a tuba and a saxophone. Well that won't come off well. Good luck.

If you truly get hundreds of kids there with the full band that will be a nice effect.

If you have 16 students with a tuba and a saxophone. Well that won't come off well. Good luck.

Unfortunately, the average student probably doesn't know who Tatum is. I still remember a game in the 13-14 season when I mentioned to a SLUnatic "leader" that Jayson Tatum was at the game and we should do a chant, and he proceeded to look Tatum up on his phone. If the team is good, students will show up to the games and be rowdy, but if not, I don't think they can be bothered generally. I certainly don't think a lot of people will show up on a Wednesday afternoon and wait for 30-45 minutes to cheer for someone who they likely think will never go to SLU.

Just talking to friends around campus about Tatum, the general consensus seems to be the thought that Tatum just has us on his list because his dad went here, and that he will absolutely go to Duke or Kentucky. They don't understand that we legitimately have a good chance of landing him.

If you are trying to keep this rally on the down low, posting about it on any public forum will likely get back to Jayson (not sure why it would matter though). Shouldn't there be someone within the athletic department coordinating all of this even if they technically are not supposed to? I do think having the band playing, fans screaming S-A-I-N-T L-O-U-I-S, the Billiken running around, and cheerleaders performing will be pretty cool.

Yeah, it's impressive to see the school president getting involved. I can't imagine Biondi doing this.

I know Biondi would meet with many of the recruits Sodie brought on campus. I remember hearing that when Kevin Lisch visited with his parents they sat down with Biondi and ended up having an in-depth discussion on church doctrine with the basketball coaches obviously unable to contribute to that discussion.

make sure you tell your average student that the #1 recruit in the country is going to choose us, duke, UK or UNC. and mention that his dad played at SLU. tell him/her that they're a no good cocksuoker if they're not out there in the quad raging. if they want their arena filled, and a true NCAA fan's experience, they'll be there.

make sure you tell your average student that the #1 recruit in the country is going to choose us, duke, UK or UNC. and mention that his dad played at SLU. tell him/her that they're a no good cocksuoker if they're not out there in the quad raging. if they want their arena filled, and a true NCAA fan's experience, they'll be there.

Yeah, stressing that this is the number one player in the world is what we're trying to do. Posting on all of the SLU classes Facebook pages. Also, getting a pretty big contingent there early (around 4) will draw many more students in.

I know Biondi would meet with many of the recruits Sodie brought on campus. I remember hearing that when Kevin Lisch visited with his parents they sat down with Biondi and ended up having an in-depth discussion on church doctrine with the basketball coaches obviously unable to contribute to that discussion.

Oh, wow, I totally forgot about that story. I should've known better. I take my statement back.

Still- I'm hoping RiseAndGrind is right, and that SLU's president is the most accessible of the remaining 4.

And that it's Larry Hughes' God Son