Will Local Fab Five Be Possible At SLU?

aj has tried to make this moral equivalence argument before... sure RM = Snyder & Haith :wacko: And we actually have a couple of people defending aj (not surprising who) :rolleyes: aj was so angry last summer I had the audacity to call Snyder "Cokehead Quin" that he sent me several PMs telling me all the positives of Quin, while calling out SLU fans for embracing RM. aj also famously suggested the program "blow up the roster" right before SLU went on its most successful three-year run in the modern era. And while SLU was enjoying the fruits of RM's labor, aj was typically nowhere to be found. Not sharing in the good times with his "fellow" Billiken fans. Oh, I know, it's really hard to get Billiken news in Georgia... (even thought taj somehow manages to write essays from his couch in Maryland). We should all be thankful that aj's schedule conveniently began to free up last summer just as SLU was entering a rebuilding period.

+1 ....Ace owning people per usual

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear from you aj - always enjoyed our past debates.

Interesting that you heard this "fab five" talk on the Mizzou board. I seriously doubt that there is a any likelihood of this happening as many others have stated, but it is an interesting topic. I just wonder where this idea really originally came from. Idle speculation is easy to start, especially on these internet boards, but sometimes there is some basis in fact however distorted it may be.

I would ignore the intolerant jerks on this board. Most of the people are pretty good, but there are some who are very myopic and always spoiling for a fight. You know I hate Mizzou, but I subscribe to the philosophy of hate the sin, love the sinner, so I can hate Mizzou, but still get along with (reasonable) Mizzou fans.

Good to hear from you too! Missed the good dialogue where we can debate ideas without the personal attacks. Actually, I'm getting some pretty good info from the Mizzou site. It doesn't appear to be posted here, but I just learned that Tatum will soon be releasing his list of four schools and Mizzou won't be making the cut while SLU will. I'm thinking that Larry Hughes, his godfather, might be relating some of his positive experiences being the local star. While I would still put my money on Duke, I wouldn't dismiss the Tatum to SLU idea yet.

aj has tried to make this moral equivalence argument before... sure RM = Snyder & Haith :wacko: And we actually have a couple of people defending aj (not surprising who) :rolleyes: aj was so angry last summer I had the audacity to call Snyder "Cokehead Quin" that he sent me several PMs telling me all the positives of Quin, while calling out SLU fans for embracing RM. aj also famously suggested the program "blow up the roster" right before SLU went on its most successful three-year run in the modern era. And while SLU was enjoying the fruits of RM's labor, aj was typically nowhere to be found. Not sharing in the good times with his "fellow" Billiken fans. Oh, I know, it's really hard to get Billiken news in Georgia... (even thought taj somehow manages to write essays from his couch in Maryland). We should all be thankful that aj's schedule conveniently began to free up last summer just as SLU was entering a rebuilding period.

Yes, I was ready to cut rope with Majerus for a variety of reasons. I thought he was a quick fix and I wanted a program built with a foundation, something like VCU. Just a difference of opinion. As for Quin, I did have like the guy and root for him to this day. In fact, I love his story of redemption and the revival of his career. If you didn't know, he remade himself, stopped listening to the insults and references to drug problems; and is now one of the select few coaching in the NBA with a team that has shown growth in the last half of the season.

Yes, I have a distaste for people, who demean public figures with cheap shots. That's easy to do on the internet. I love it that Quin is getting the last laugh.

Contrary to what you and others believe, I don't take joy in my hometown team's struggles. That's why you didn't see me gloat during the year when the team went into the tank. I want SLU, Mizzou, and MIssouri State to go dancing every year. Don't you think the majority of St. Louisians, who aren't alums of either Mizzou or SLU, root for both teams???

Good to hear from you too! Missed the good dialogue where we can debate ideas without the personal attacks. Actually, I'm getting some pretty good info from the Mizzou site. It doesn't appear to be posted here, but I just learned that Tatum will soon be releasing his list of four schools and Mizzou won't be making the cut while SLU will. I'm thinking that Larry Hughes, his godfather, might be relating some of his positive experiences being the local star. While I would still put my money on Duke, I wouldn't dismiss the Tatum to SLU idea yet.

Littlebill posted the tatum will soon be releasing 4 schools bit an hour ago:

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24410&page=91#entry452992

I would say very few serious posters on this board have been dismissing the possibility of tatum coming to slu.

The idea of all 4 coming here is quite far fetched however given everything we have been hearing about cook's and sneed'so desire to leave STL and the lack of scholarships we have available.

Yes, I have a distaste for people, who demean public figures with cheap shots. That's easy to do on the internet. I love it that Quin is getting the last laugh.

Contrary to what you and others believe, I don't take joy in my hometown team's struggles. That's why you didn't see me gloat during the year when the team went into the tank. I want SLU, Mizzou, and MIssouri State to go dancing every year. Don't you think the majority of St. Louisians, who aren't alums of either Mizzou or SLU, root for both teams???

I think comparing Rick Majerus' violations at Utah to the Snyder and Haith fiascos at Mizzou is very much a cheapshot. Yeah, he's dead now, but he's still a public figure. You accused SLU fans earlier of being hypocritical with respect to NCAA rules violations, but claiming to be against demeaning public figures while demeaning Majerus on a SLU fan board seems pretty inconsistent to me.

As for the majority of St. Louisans without a tie to Mizzou or SLU, I have to disagree there too. I think the majority follows Mizzou sports much more closely, and the average sports fan almost completely ignores SLU unless they are doing really really well and Mizzou is doing poorly (which has really only happened for one season in recent memory). My family is from Boone County and I grew up a Mizzou fan, which I suppose gives me sort of a weird perspective. But living in St. Louis and seeing the hometown fans ignore SLU in favor of Mizzou is what made it impossible for me to follow Mizzou as a "second team." The insufferable attitude of some Mizzou fans (both in Columbia and St. Louis) was part of it too. Especially with respect to basketball, Mizzou fans have the tendency to inflate their tradition to an almost ridiculous level. I have quite a few friends who are good people and good sports fans, and root for Mizzou first and claim SLU as a "second team." To be honest most of them fall into the typical Mizzou fan bluster I find so annoying from time to time too. But I know almost zero basketball fans who root for SLU first and Mizzou second.

I think comparing Rick Majerus' violations at Utah to the Snyder and Haith fiascos at Mizzou is very much a cheapshot. Yeah, he's dead now, but he's still a public figure. You accused SLU fans earlier of being hypocritical with respect to NCAA rules violations, but claiming to be against demeaning public figures while demeaning Majerus on a SLU fan board seems pretty inconsistent to me.

As for the majority of St. Louisans without a tie to Mizzou or SLU, I have to disagree there too. I think the majority follows Mizzou sports much more closely, and the average sports fan almost completely ignores SLU unless they are doing really really well and Mizzou is doing poorly (which has really only happened for one season in recent memory). My family is from Boone County and I grew up a Mizzou fan, which I suppose gives me sort of a weird perspective. But living in St. Louis and seeing the hometown fans ignore SLU in favor of Mizzou is what made it impossible for me to follow Mizzou as a "second team." The insufferable attitude of some Mizzou fans (both in Columbia and St. Louis) was part of it too. Especially with respect to basketball, Mizzou fans have the tendency to inflate their tradition to an almost ridiculous level. I have quite a few friends who are good people and good sports fans, and root for Mizzou first and claim SLU as a "second team." To be honest most of them fall into the typical Mizzou fan bluster I find so annoying from time to time too. But I know almost zero basketball fans who root for SLU first and Mizzou second.

+1 Looks like aj has his own hypocrisy problem.

Regarding Snyder, I'm a fan of the college game. And his act had no place there - cocaine addiction, screwing a player's girlfriend, the Ricky Clemens academic fraud, hiring a street agent like Tony Harvey and on and on. I believe people deserve a second chance and if he has remade himself, good for him, but I'm not sure he is "getting the last laugh" as aj suggests. In the college game, he is still a laughingstock and that will be his legacy. Meanwhile, RM's legacy in the college game is that of a legend - a Hall of Fame coach. Thank goodness he didn't "blow up the roster" as aj was hoping (probably because aj knew SLU had built some talent and was on the cusp of surpassing SPUMAC for supremacy in the state). RM's SLU legacy is building the team that delivered the greatest three-year run in the modern era of the program. And beyond that, the Conklin press conference in what turned out to be RM's final game was a fitting tribute. aj's comparisons of RM to Snyder and Haith are disingenuous and shameful.

When I made my criticism of Majerus, it was before his death. My appreciation for him grew over time and I certainly appreciated his runs in the NCAA tournaments. That press conference with him and Conklin was extremely touching. I gained a greater respect for him then. Around that time, I read his book, "Life In A Napkin" and learned many great leadership principles that I follow to this day.

As for comparing Majerus and Snyder, it should be noted that the penalties for both were the same and it was under a different NCAA regime (Elton Brand), who was a well-respected leader in that organization. Since then, subsequent leadership within the NCAA leaves much to be desired.

As for me, my interest in SLU and Mizzou have vacilliated over time. In the 80s under Grawer, Spoonhour, and Romar, I was a bigger fan of SLU than Mizzou because I thought Norm was a little shady, though I've come to appreciate Norm more now then I did then. When Quin and Anderson became coaches, I was more of a Mizzou fan. When Majerus had his run, I leaned toward SLU. Today, I'd say that I'd give the edge to Mizzou because it's easier to follow them, though I must say the basketball is hard to watch for both squads. If Timmerman did a weekly chat on STLToday, then it would be easier to connect with SLU. But you make a good point, there's just not enough interest to do a chat locally.

I was just chatting with a friend in St. Louis and I was telling him about the possibility of Tatum coming to SLU and he seemed surprised that Tatum would consider Mizzou over SLU. I then shared with him that if you compare recent history (last 5 years) SLU has a better record of success. He grudgingly said that they were similar. While he says he's a fan of both teams, you can tell he's a much bigger Mizzou fan. Therefore, I can certainly see your point. I just have a greater connection to SLU since I've gone to way more basketball games downtown and only a couple at Mizzou. With Mizzou, I've always been a much bigger football fan even during their down years in the 1980s. That's why I'm on PowerMizzou, so I can get the latest information on the spring practices and the upcoming football season.

As for comparing Majerus and Snyder, it should be noted that the penalties for both were the same and it was under a different NCAA regime (Elton Brand), who was a well-respected leader in that organization. Since then, subsequent leadership within the NCAA leaves much to be desired.

Your Brand recognition is suspect. :)

Elton Brand played for Duke; Myles Brand was president of the NCAA.

Your Brand recognition is suspect. :)

Elton Brand played for Duke; Myles Brand was president of the NCAA.

Thanks, THicks. I can just see Kshoe and Ace coming after me again with their 'gotcha' mentality.... :)

Don't know if this has been posted, but interview with Jayson yesterday about his final 4. Also talks about package deal with Cook and Sneed and doesn't sound like they have been talking about it.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-basketball/EYBL-Jayson-Tatum-talks-top-4-1133868

Thanks for sharing. Good stuff!