Evans

ACE

Skip. I appreciate the return to civility. Thank you.

Not disagreeing entirely with this last post of yours. IF DE can become a perimeter scorer, then yes, DE will be close to unstoppable. To date, though, DE has not shown such ability. And unless I am mistaken, very few players go from a non-perimeter threat to that of a perimeter threat during college. Not intending to give you a history lesson in my original post. For that matter, JJ also hasn't shown the ability to stretch the defenses and hit from the perimeter. IMO, our lack of a really good, consistent 3 point shooter (since KL) has been a real problem for this team and that Top 20 is not truly possible without a better, more consisent outside threat (from the 2 and 3 positions) and not from the 1, 4 and 5 positions. Once again, IMO, CE will be the key to this season. If CE can handle most the minutes at the 4, and in doing so take his defender out to the perimeter, then DE playing the 3 can take his defender to the inside. In essence, our 3 and 4 could become more inter-changeable and truly complement each other. Last year, BC was great for us; however, he exclusively played as an over-achieving, undersized-power forward and could not draw his defender to the perimeter or switch with DE or JJ at the 3 or with RL or CE at the 5. RM's offense is keyed upon the 1 and 4 and I am expecting RM's offense to become even more fun to watch this year.

If, however, CE does not step-up and take the majority of minutes at the 4 and if DE plays the 3 but again does not bring a perimeter threat, then where will our 3 point shooting come from? I am expecting CE to step-up and am confident he will help us get over the loss of BC, but if he doesn't then I share Roy's comments about the need to play 3 guards - and while I am not thrilled about another undersized (6'4" powerforward) - we then might need DE to log some minutes at the 4 (for the good of the team and not DE's own personal development/growth).

Why are you automatically assuming that DE does not bring any kind of perimeter threat? Last season, he had 26 three-point attempts (making 9 of them) and also attempted quite a few 2-point jump shots. In the summer league games, he was working quite a bit on his jump shooting and perimeter game. I don't think he is going to be a lights out three-point shooter, but even last year, he shot and made enough of them to keep his defender honest. I believe we will see him improve his perimeter game over the next two seasons.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, More important than improving his outside shot is improving his free throw shooting. He can get to the line a lot and needs to be above 70%. Look at how much improved free throw shooting helped Conklin. Hopefully an Evans summer will make the Conklin summer look like an Obi summer.

my favorite example of an undersized small forward with basically just one skill, (he could jump through the ceiling) that made the ultimate successful leap to a true 2 guard with ball skills and outside shooting skills was darrell griffith at louisville. he was still the ultimate go to the basket guy and one of the best college dunk masters of all time, but he truly was a nice all around guard by the time he was a senior and led louisville to the national championship and i believe was the POY. went on to a good nba career from there.

my point is that even though the above is the extreme example and an exception, i will concede it can happen and happen in a big way.

i was trying to find a photo of william wallace with lightning bolts coming out of his arse, and i was led to this forum (http://www.mastercat...own-wv-840.html) by way of this photo:

Posted Image

i thought it was some dude with an elephant trunk growing out of his stomach and THEN i thought it was a guy holding a severed elephant's head and then realized that he was just a master catter®. just awesome.

i seriously might have to start "trolling" that site. looks super badass. or maybe we could at least all change our avatars to pictures of us holding up huge fuoking catfish. wahahaha this sh!t is killing me. i'm going to start cruising now, looking for "OT: lost my wife gigging last night" posts...

Why are you automatically assuming that DE does not bring any kind of perimeter threat? Last season, he had 26 three-point attempts (making 9 of them) and also attempted quite a few 2-point jump shots. In the summer league games, he was working quite a bit on his jump shooting and perimeter game. I don't think he is going to be a lights out three-point shooter, but even last year, he shot and made enough of them to keep his defender honest. I believe we will see him improve his perimeter game over the next two seasons.

Because we need better perimeter shooting production from our 2 and 3 if we want to be a Top 20 team.

If we had KL at the 2, then DE's small forward game would be a better compliment and yet we would have a real solid outside threat. Because we have KM and MM, though, at our 1 and 2, (2 great/quick/guards but both are only 6' tall shooting the 3 over taller guards from our better competition and must run the offense, break the press...), because we have JJ (whose best skill is not his perimeter game either), because it can be argued that CE and RL have shown more success from the perimeter and because CR, JM and GG remain unproven, then rightly or wrongly, it places extra pressure on our players at the 3. Yes, CE and RL each can shoot the 3 but they are bigs and we need a guard or guards to stretch the defense for the bigs.

Because we need better perimeter shooting production from our 2 and 3 if we want to be a Top 20 team.

If we had KL at the 2, then DE's small forward game would be a better compliment and yet we would have a real solid outside threat. Because we have KM and MM, though, at our 1 and 2, (2 great/quick/guards but both are only 6' tall shooting the 3 over taller guards from our better competition and must run the offense, break the press...), because we have JJ (whose best skill is not his perimeter game either), because it can be argued that CE and RL have shown more success from the perimeter and because CR, JM and GG remain unproven, then rightly or wrongly, it places extra pressure on our players at the 3. Yes, CE and RL each can shoot the 3 but they are bigs and we need a guard or guards to stretch the defense for the bigs.

I really think you are worrying and overthinking this way too much. All of this hand wringing and worrying about how we are going to replace BC's production in the low post is starting to reach PANIC stage on this board, to the point that we are having lengthy discussions about what the '3' means and why DE is best served as an undersized '4'.

We are going to be a top 15-20 team this season and DE is going to play the majority of his minutes (and the team's) at the 3 spot. Case closed. Move on.

• 3 weeks later...

I think RM will know exactly what to do with this very talented player, and all the opinions expressed on here won't amount to a hill of beans.

Bogart said something once about a "hill of beans." What exactly is the worth of a "hill of beans?" If they're coffee beans they could be worth a whole lot.

“It doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people doesn't add up to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid.”

“Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.”

“They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem.”

“Well everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.”

“I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.”

“I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history.”