What if??? Big East

BJK

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would have been a horrible first season for us to join the Big East. I am grateful to have been spared that. However, this is an outstanding year for them. There's no guarantee that this will be their norm any more than last year was. Here's hoping we can get back to the middle of the A10 next year and maybe keep increasing our odds for the call-up. It can't get worse than this year.

A review of the Big East's decision, with the backdrop of Fox bankrolling this new league:

Saint Louis University: TV Market Size: 21; Endowment: $1.027B (that's Billion Dollars)

Butler: TV Market Size: 25; Endowment: $155M (Million Dollars)

Xavier: TV Market Size: 34; Endowment: $144.7M

Marquette (just for purposes of comparison): TV Market Size 35; Endowment: $531.7M

Dayton: TV Market Size: 64; Endowment: $518.2M

Creighton: TV Market Size: 76; Endowment: $439.7M

As such, the combined Endowments of Big Brother Marquette and its Little Brother Creighton are LESS than SLU's endowment standing alone.

There is something very fishy with this picture ...

What does Endowments have to do with basketball? Nothing.

I disagree. Endowments show the financial weight behind the school.

In a case like D-3 WashU or the Ivy League, I see your point. But I think it's different for SLU in being compared to these other "like minded institutions."

And even more stark are the TV market size differences, especially when it is considered that Fox is bankrolling the new Big East. Frankly, I'm surprised Fox allowed Creighton of Omaha to be picked over SLU.

I disagree. Endowments show the financial weight behind the school.

In a case like D-3 WashU or the Ivy League, I see your point. But I think it's different for SLU in being compared to these other "like minded institutions."

And even more stark are the TV market size differences, especially when it is considered that Fox is bankrolling the new Big East. Frankly, I'm surprised Fox allowed Creighton of Omaha to be picked over SLU.

Obviously if it made a difference we would be in and others would be out.

A review of the Big East's decision, with the backdrop of Fox bankrolling this new league:

Saint Louis University: TV Market Size: 21; Endowment: $1.027B (that's Billion Dollars)

Butler: TV Market Size: 25; Endowment: $155M (Million Dollars)

Xavier: TV Market Size: 34; Endowment: $144.7M

Marquette (just for purposes of comparison): TV Market Size 35; Endowment: $531.7M

Dayton: TV Market Size: 64; Endowment: $518.2M

Creighton: TV Market Size: 76; Endowment: $439.7M

As such, the combined Endowments of Big Brother Marquette and its Little Brother Creighton are LESS than SLU's endowment standing alone.

Yeah, SLU is sitting on too much money

Not really.

Look at the number of NCAA appearances for each of those programs. Butler has the fewest, with 12 (compared to our nine), but their tournament history is significantly backloaded and includes two trips to the national championship game.

We don't come close to any of those programs in terms of history.

Obviously if it made a difference we would be in and others would be out.

What happened is pretty well known.

I have been told by a SLU Official that Marquette sees SLU as a threat, as the two schools compete for the same Illinois (Chicagoland) students and athletes.

As I have noted before on this Board, Marquette passed SLU in the US News & World Report College Rankings after Marquette was admitted into the Big East, and SLU was parked in the A10.

The admission of Marquette into the Big East from C-USA for '05 put Marquette in the position to decide SLU's conference fate 8 years later.

Some Marquette apologists will no doubt appear to defend their Alma Mater, perhaps some Marquette Undergrad/SLU Law types. But there is no defense for the indefensible.

And in advance, save it on the Sweet 16. Creighton of Omaha has not been to the Sweet 16 since 1974, and played for almost the last 4 decades in the mid-major Valley. Please spare us.

Yeah, SLU is sitting on too much money

Isn't a large amount of the endowment from the sale of SLU Hospital? The endowment is an amazing plus for SLU (in a non-athletic sense). Tuition has risen below average nationally (I'm pretty sure), and SLU provides a large amount of financial aid and scholarships to student (esp compared to what WashU does with their endowment)

What happened is pretty well known.

I have been told by a SLU Official that Marquette sees SLU as a threat, as the two schools compete for the same Illinois (Chicagoland) students and athletes.

I suspect this element is overblown to some degree. The Big East took the best basketball programs.

Not really.

Look at the number of NCAA appearances for each of those programs. Butler has the fewest, with 12 (compared to our nine), but their tournament history is significantly backloaded and includes two trips to the national championship game.

We don't come close to any of those programs in terms of history.

Wholly disagree.

Butler did its work playing out of the mid-major Horizon. One of those Butler Final Game teams may not have even made the NCAA Tournament at all absent being the biggest fish in the small pond Horizon.

Creighton was in the Missouri Valley from '76 to '13, mid-major all the way.

Irrespective, we all knew Butler and Xavier were getting in. The question, and we pretty well know the answer, is how Creighton of Omaha got in over SLU for the 10th spot.

Until the last 3 years, the SLU detractors in other places held the NCAA appearances against SLU. Having lost that crutch, despite SLU having always been in a high major league, the SLU detractors moved the decision line to Sweet 16 appearances. Wrong again: Creighton last went to the Sweet 16 in 1974. So that counts, but SLU's Sweet 16 appearance in 1952 doesn't?

This is the same argument in reverse that the STL media Valley lovers hold re SLU supposedly needing to return to the Valley. Frank Cusumano, of all people, returned to this SLU belongs in the Valley bandwagon on his show yesterday. SLU left the Valley in 1974, ironically the same year as Creighton's last NCAA Sweet 16 appearance. How many of you out there remember when SLU last played in the Valley? I was 13 years old. WashU left the Valley after 1942. So going back 41 years counts, but going back 73 years doesn't? Hasn't the SLU-Valley statute of limitations run after 41 years? If not, please tell me when the statute runs.

Isn't a large amount of the endowment from the sale of SLU Hospital? The endowment is an amazing plus for SLU (in a non-athletic sense). Tuition has risen below average nationally (I'm pretty sure), and SLU provides a large amount of financial aid and scholarships to student (esp compared to what WashU does with their endowment)

Yes, but the counter there is SLU had a Hospital to sell.

-right, those of us on this board control winning

But there are those in high places who read this Board that have more control over winning than most here. Our task is to lobby them, direct them in the correct direction, let them know that we can do better than "prodigious mediocrity" (as termed by Fr. Kavanaugh).

Wholly disagree.

Butler did its work playing out of the mid-major Horizon. One of those Butler Final Game teams may not have even made the NCAA Tournament at all absent being the biggest fish in the small pond Horizon.

Creighton was in the Missouri Valley from '76 to '13, mid-major all the way.

Irrespective, we all knew Butler and Xavier were getting in. The question, and we pretty well know the answer, is how Creighton of Omaha got in over SLU for the 10th spot.

Until the last 3 years, the SLU detractors in other places held the NCAA appearances against SLU. Having lost that crutch, despite SLU having always been in a high major league, the SLU detractors moved the decision line to Sweet 16 appearances. Wrong again: Creighton last went to the Sweet 16 in 1974. So that counts, but SLU's Sweet 16 appearance in 1952 doesn't?

This is the same argument in reverse that the STL media Valley lovers hold re SLU supposedly needing to return to the Valley. Frank Cusumano, of all people, returned to this SLU belongs in the Valley bandwagon on his show yesterday. SLU left the Valley in 1974, ironically the same year as Creighton's last NCAA Sweet 16 appearance. How many of you out there remember when SLU last played in the Valley? I was 13 years old. WashU left the Valley after 1942. So going back 41 years counts, but going back 73 years doesn't? Hasn't the SLU-Valley statute of limitations run after 41 years? If not, please tell me when the statute runs.

Creighton gets in for largely the same reason Butler did - a very strong recent winning tradition. They have the added benefit of a rabid fanbase that travels extremely well.

You're making it sound like there's some conspiracy to keep SLU down. It's ok to admit that Butler and Creighton have stronger programs than SLU because they do. The Big East is a basketball league and the decision to add Butler, Creighton and Xavier were largely basketball decisions. Had we not pissed away the post-Spoon era, perhaps we'd be in the Big East as well.

Creighton gets in for largely the same reason Butler did - a very strong recent winning tradition. They have the added benefit of a rabid fanbase that travels extremely well.

You're making it sound like there's some conspiracy to keep SLU down. It's ok to admit that Butler and Creighton have stronger programs than SLU because they do. The Big East is a basketball league and the decision to add Butler, Creighton and Xavier were largely basketball decisions. Had we not pissed away the post-Spoon era, perhaps we'd be in the Big East as well.

I'm not convinced the decision to take Creighton over SLU was wholly basketball related. That's the Marquette spin. But then there is the real truth.

You are correct re Creighton's fanbase, however.