Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Unless it's a home-run name, I'm not a huge fan of getting guys that are from schools squarely on the east or west coasts. I'd suspect that their recruiting pipeline is built on high schools in that region and I continue to believe SLU will have a tough time recruiting high caliber players (i.e. the type that are good enough for Big East or the top half of the A-10) from the coasts. I have visions of Romar's mostly failed recruiting strategy when I think about this. This changes, of course, if you have a big name like Majerus.

Give me a guy from the Midwest with ties that are within driving distance of St. Louis. Somebody that has been able to recruit St. Louis well in the past gets bonus points.

Totally agree.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless it's a home-run name, I'm not a huge fan of getting guys that are from schools squarely on the east or west coasts. I'd suspect that their recruiting pipeline is built on high schools in that region and I continue to believe SLU will have a tough time recruiting high caliber players (i.e. the type that are good enough for Big East or the top half of the A-10) from the coasts. I have visions of Romar's mostly failed recruiting strategy when I think about this. This changes, of course, if you have a big name like Majerus.

Give me a guy from the Midwest with ties that are within driving distance of St. Louis. Somebody that has been able to recruit St. Louis well in the past gets bonus points.

-I agree

I honestly think Crews will be gone. If we end up with 5, 6, 7 or 8 wins this season (and at this point it's hard to imagine winning more than 3 conference games), I think he will beg for a buyout. This is a guy who was content in retirement 4 years ago, who is about the record the two worst season for this program in the past 30 years, and who has padded his bank account with over $2.2 million from his SLU salary. Money should not be an issue for him and I think it is likely that he chooses the retirement option after this year v. Trying to grind out another season with the same team who already is devoid of talent and chemistry. I'm not sure Crews is overly intelligent but if he decides to come back to this team, he would have to be dumb and crazy.

Or just plain greedy and shameless. He's stealing from SLU under false pretenses. Two good seasons w/a COY for no other reason than making sure an already tight knit focused well coached gutty team was on time for all the games. We ought to sue him for fraud and misrepresentation. If we don't fire him, he ain't leaving voluntarily.

+1000. Those guys scare me, especially the assistants from those schools.

I also worry about guys like Scheyer, etc who have only worked at Duke, KU, and the like. It is a lot easier to pick out talented players when you're recruiting from a list of the Top 100 players in the country and then sell them on playing at one of the top 5 schools in the country.

You guys are overlooking our very own SLU alumn, Drew Diener. Guy won a National Championship as a HC. He is in his 1st year at Rockhurst. Not sexy cause some of us know him but when he's not with Leiato all the does is win.

Also if Crean becomes available we should get him.

You guys are overlooking our very own SLU alumn, Drew Diener. Guy won a National Championship as a HC. He is in his 1st year at Rockhurst. Not sexy cause some of us know him but when he's not with Leiato all the does is win.

If I have to hear about Diener from A_Bomb one more damn time...

Can Jay Spoonhour Coach? I know EIU is struggling this year.

Jay Spoonhour seems like a really good guy. That said, my thoughts on his qualifications for the SLU head coaching job remain the same as when people mentioned him back in 2007 as an option.

Essentially, the thought of him being an actual candidate for the SLU head coaching job might make me puke.

Even though his team beat us the other night, my thoughts are the same for a Barry Hinson candidacy. Great guy, but don't want him as our coach.

I bring this up because if we do end up having a coaching search, I can pretty much guarantee that someone will make this suggestion publicly (either Frank C or a texter/caller to his radio show).

-i have the same suspicion for the same reason in addition to the admin not seeing the math of the buyout versus the tumble the program will continue to take but i call it FEAR

Here is the math that they can easily do - for every 1000 fewer fans at games they lose $25 per tix X 16 home games X 1000 = $400K. This does not count concessions, parking and lost enrollment due to kids not want to come because the school has no brand. I still think there may be a buy out in Crew's contract - do not know for sure but most do have something - and it is not $1.5 million - total for the last 2 years on the contract.

Crean's seat is warm but not hot. He is pulling down around $2+MM annually, and has a $7.5 MM buyout that drops to $4MM July 1, 2016. So unless SLU wants to pony up $7.5 million, Crean isn't coming to the Jewel of Midtown. Mark Cuban is a Crean fan, and Mark Cuban is a huge contributor to IU athletics.

Plus, he isn't a very good coach. He can recruit, but his X's and O's aren't worth the $2million he earns. The Hoosier's haven't played decent defense since he came on campus. During the Notre Dame game, commentator Dan Dacich remarked, "James Blackmon couldn't guard a chair". That about wraps up IU's D. Kennesaw State shredded the IU interior post defense, but IU outgunned them.

Here is the math that they can easily do - for every 1000 fewer fans at games they lose $25 per tix X 16 home games X 1000 = $400K. This does not count concessions, parking and lost enrollment due to kids not want to come because the school has no brand. I still think there may be a buy out in Crew's contract - do not know for sure but most do have something - and it is not $1.5 million - total for the last 2 years on the contract.

Personally I think the PAID attendance dropoff will be even more than 1,000 but for arguments sake let's assume we see your drop of $400k in annual seat revenue. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Every NCAA tournament game played is worth about $1.3mm. In the 7 years that Majerus and his players were here we played in 6 games. I don't think we should expect that ratio but 1 game played in every two years is certainly reasonable (to put it in context, 2 round of 32s and 1 round of 64 in a 10 year period will get you that ratio). With Crews, the expectation of NCAA games should be 0. With a new coach, you could reasonably expect $650k of annual NCAA revenues.

This last one is even more soft and subject to estimates, but with Crews at the helm the chances of a Big East invite are basically 0%. A new coach that can rebuild this program maybe brings that up to 10%. The annual t.v. revenues from the conference switch are at least $2mm different, not to mention the general fan excitement, tickets sold, etc. 10% x $2mm equals $200k of annual revenues.

So there you have it: With relatively conservative assumptions, we are poised to lose $1.25mm in annual revenues if we continue on the Crews path. SLU can't afford not to fire him at the end of this season.

Personally I think the PAID attendance dropoff will be even more than 1,000 but for arguments sake let's assume we see your drop of $400k in annual seat revenue. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Every NCAA tournament game played is worth about $1.3mm. In the 7 years that Majerus and his players were here we played in 6 games. I don't think we should expect that ratio but 1 game played in every two years is certainly reasonable (to put it in context, 2 round of 32s and 1 round of 64 in a 10 year period will get you that ratio). With Crews, the expectation of NCAA games should be 0. With a new coach, you could reasonably expect $650k of annual NCAA revenues.

This last one is even more soft and subject to estimates, but with Crews at the helm the chances of a Big East invite are basically 0%. A new coach that can rebuild this program maybe brings that up to 10%. The annual t.v. revenues from the conference switch are at least $2mm different, not to mention the general fan excitement, tickets sold, etc. 10% x $2mm equals $200k of annual revenues.

So there you have it: With relatively conservative assumptions, we are poised to lose $1.25mm in annual revenues if we continue on the Crews path. SLU can't afford not to fire him at the end of this season.

SLU has to keep it's eye on the prize and that's entry into the Beast. If they think we're going to be another DePaul, we'll be shut out. Right now out of their 10 teams 7 have legit shots at making the dance and that's what they want every year. This is why I advocate a mid season firing it shows them we're damn serious about getting back to where Majerus had us. As Kshoe did above, do the math and then add in the increased TV revenue from the Beast. Right now we're paying a lot of bucks for 0 production. Figure out the opportunity lost cost of keeping Crews around. It's huge. Now, of course, we have to hire a guy that's got the qualifications to do what Rick did. That's the really hard part.

SLU has to keep it's eye on the prize and that's entry into the Beast. If they think we're going to be another DePaul, we'll be shut out. Right now out of their 10 teams 7 have legit shots at making the dance and that's what they want every year. This is why I advocate a mid season firing it shows them we're damn serious about getting back to where Majerus had us. As Kshoe did above, do the math and then add in the increased TV revenue from the Beast. Right now we're paying a lot of bucks for 0 production. Figure out the opportunity lost cost of keeping Crews around. It's huge. Now, of course, we have to hire a guy that's got the qualifications to do what Rick did. That's the really hard part.

The Big East isn't happening either. That ship sailed. Rick died, Biondi and May fumbled it away, and then gave Jim Crews a lot of money. Crews should be gone at the end of the season, but that will do nothing to help the now mythical pursuit of the Big East.

Some of the dumbest, ugliest posts, ever, on this and the FireJimCrews thread, though mostly from the same rotation of bitter frustrated lil dumb posters, so I guess that is to be expected. I am embarrassed to be a SLU grad when reading some of the despicable statements posted here, making things up, taking one word and making assumptions to the 11th detail, like a sophomore at Viz.

At this point, yes, we have a bad team. Majerus is gone. Small minds blame Crews 99%, Jolly the other 1%.

Some of you need to watch college hoops for 10 years, read 50 books on the subject (3x each), hang out with some intelligent, knowledgeable grown ups, and then post again, say, on Dec. 24, 2025.

Some of the dumbest, ugliest posts, ever, on this and the fire Crews thread, though mostly from the same rotation of bitter frustrated lil dumb posters, so I guess that is to be expected. I am embarrassed to be a SLU grad when reading some of the despicable statements posted here, making things up, taking one word and making assumptions to the 11th detail, like a sophomore at Viz.

At this point, yes, we have a bad team. Majerus is gone. Small minds blame Crews 99%, Jolly the other 1%.

Some of you need to watch college hoops for 10 years, read 50 books on the subject (3x each), hang out with some intelligent, knowledgeable grown ups, and then post again, say, on Dec. 24, 2020.

This fan message board makes you feel embarrassed to be a SLU grad? The performance on the court is what should make you feel embarrassed.

I know nothing about him, but the NJIT coach suggestion is interesting. Didn't they go from a provisional D-1 school, to worst D-1 school, to not a terribly horrible buy team?

They lost 50 straight games spanning 3 seasons from 07-09. They're the kind of school you laugh at for trying to field a basketball team. They play in a 1500 seat gym. For comparison's sake, Fordham's gym seats 3000. Now they're a team you schedule as a buy game and might regret it later. They're in the A-Sun and have a good shot at the automatic bid. He's done an outstanding job coaching, but recruiting would be a question mark.

Some of the dumbest, ugliest posts, ever, on this and the FireJimCrews thread, though mostly from the same rotation of bitter frustrated lil dumb posters, so I guess that is to be expected. I am embarrassed to be a SLU grad when reading some of the despicable statements posted here, making things up, taking one word and making assumptions to the 11th detail, like a sophomore at Viz.

Some of you need to watch college hoops for 10 years, read 50 books on the subject (3x each), hang out with some intelligent, knowledgeable grown ups, and then post again, say, on Dec. 24, 2025.

Small minds might blame Jolly, but most rational intelligent fans know that it is 100% on Jim Crews. His players, his staff, his game plans, or lack thereof.

MB I'm not sure why you're all about giving Crews a participation ribbon for some reason. It's very...small minded.

Thanks for making my point even stronger.

The Big East isn't happening either. That ship sailed. Rick died, Biondi and May fumbled it away, and then gave Jim Crews a lot of money. Crews should be gone at the end of the season, but that will do nothing to help the now mythical pursuit of the Big East.

It is like anything in life - you have to control what you can and be ready for when opportunity knocks - you never know when that may happen. Floundering around like we are will certainly take that chance away but being ready still keeps the dream alive even if only slightly.

Aren't you making assumptions about sophomores at Viz?

They lost 50 straight games spanning 3 seasons from 07-09. They're the kind of school you laugh at for trying to field a basketball team. They play in a 1500 seat gym. For comparison's sake, Fordham's gym seats 3000. Now they're a team you schedule as a buy game and might regret it later. They're in the A-Sun and have a good shot at the automatic bid. He's done an outstanding job coaching, but recruiting would be a question mark.

NJIT...the team that invented F- is currently a C team and will battle N Fla ( C+ ) and Fla GC ( C ) for the automatic bid.

Has anybody mentioned Dan Majerle yet? Looks like Grand Canyon will battle New Mexico State for a tourney bid this year just three years after making the jump from DII. Maybe too much like Calbert Cheaney to suit some, but a higher profile NBA career and some actual head coaching experience. Originally from the Midwest, even though it seems like he's an Arizona guy.

It's obvious even to the casual observer this team sucks.