#FireJimCrews

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The man did a very admirable job taking over for Rick. It has become very evident that he is a caretaker and not a builder.

He needs to go

I can't give away my tickets. No one wants to go to the games.

This is not what this arena was built for

If we wanted to remain mired in mediocrity we could have just continued to play at Scotttrade

It has become apparent that a trimmed down rotation won't resolve the issues plaguing this team (rebounding, offensive rhythm, defensive lapses). I was willing to give Crews a chance this season, but that sentiment has almost completely evaporated. I don't believe we need to completely start over, though. There is some talent on this team, it just needs to be used properly.

Is this a club or something? I'll wait in line if needed to sign up

No, it's not a club. It's a grassroots movement for social media. The hashtag can come up in search results in Twitter. If you're in favor of the "movement," when you tweet, add the hashtag term to your tweet. In a sense, it's like adding a signature to a social media petition or casting an online vote.

No, it's not a club. It's a grassroots movement for social media. The hashtag can come up in search results in Twitter. If you're in favor of the "movement," when you tweet, add the hashtag term to your tweet. In a sense, it's like adding a signature to a social media petition or casting an online vote.

Sarcasm Thicks. Just my way of saying I'm ready to abandon my positive thinking attitude and jump on board.

Sarcasm Thicks. Just my way of saying I'm ready to abandon my positive thinking attitude and jump on board.

Okay. Just the same, I'm sure there are some people reading who found my text informative.

Personally, I never want to call for anyone to get fired. On the other hand, college hoops is supposed to be an escape (as a form of entertainment), but it's beginning to produce more anxiety than it alleviates. Someone is not doing the job adequately, and it's a performance-driven "industry." Who's getting their money's worth under these circumstances? SLU? Crews? The players? The fans? Who? Without at least one signficicant change, interest and attendance (and donations) will continue to dwindle. The school will dig itself a hole that it will take 10 years to dig out of. Will they drop basketball like they dropped football? (Tongue in cheek for the last statement.)

He shouldn't be fired, and those who are over the top ugly about this are out of line, horseshit.

Unless you have access to inside information about what is going on with the team, we should still wait and see.

Bad coaching fundamentals? I do not think so. Cannot sell the kids on how we need to play this game? Maybe. He completely lost the team? Doubt it... the 6 sophs came back. Some of the kids just "do not get it"? Perhaps. No talent? I do not think that is it... sure not all are going to be top notch but we have several who might make it there.

Sure the game we played last night was unacceptable. Terrible "D", very poor shooting (MC and MY), and our bigs are not doing the job, at all (still young, sure, but...).

IF this continues without significant improvement, then, of course there is reason for alarm. But not yet. I am concerned, of course.

Suddenly, one or two key players could "get it" and we go on a streak. It happens.

If they do not become competitive at some point for an extended period, though, "that's different".

He shouldn't be fired, and those who are over the top ugly about this are out of line, horseshit.

Unless you have access to inside information about what is going on with the team, we should still wait and see.

Bad coaching fundamentals? I do not think so. Cannot sell the kids on how we need to play this game? Maybe. He completely lost the team? Doubt it... the 6 sophs came back. Some of the kids just "do not get it"? Perhaps. No talent? I do not think that is it... sure not all are going to be top notch but we have several who might make it there.

Sure the game we played last night was unacceptable. Terrible "D", very poor shooting (MC and MY), and our bigs are not doing the job, at all (still young, sure, but...).

IF this continues without significant improvement, then, of course there is reason for alarm. But not yet. I am concerned, of course.

Suddenly, one or two key players could "get it" and we go on a streak. It happens.

If they do not become competitive at some point for an expended period, though, "that's different".

o0nz8n.gif

Bryce Drew (Valpo, 41)
Ben Jacobson (N Iowa, 45)
Scott Nagy (S Dakota St, 49)
King Rice (Monmouth, 47)
Scott Cross (UT Arlington, 41)
Mitch Henderson (Princeton, 40)
Jerod Haase (UAB, 41)
Russell Turner (UC Irvine, 45)

And a bunch of assistants at various places.

The top 2 are probably a pipe dream, as they have definitely received better offers and stayed put.

Scott Nagy looks like a good fit. He has ties to the area as an assistant at Illinois and SIU-Edwardsville. But he's been at SDSU for 20 years and has surely received some offers.

Wait out the year before making decisions on the coarch; we still owe 2 more years salary at ? $750,000 annually; Is anyone on this board willing to contribute to the buyout? Also, screaming at the coach during the game is not good for the team. I need not elaborate

Wait out the year before making decisions on the coarch; we still owe 2 more years salary at ? $750,000 annually; Is anyone on this board willing to contribute to the buyout? Also, screaming at the coach during the game is not good for the team. I need not elaborate

-would Billiken Club donations go to a buyout? just wondering

Maybe not - his contract should have a buy out - how high it is is anybody's guess. Sodie's was only 300K. You can not wait until the end of the year to start the process. May or whoever is going to do it has to start putting together a list - maybe that has already been done who knows. While you can not talk directly to them, you start back channel investigating - yes I know you have to get permission to talk to any coaches under contract but there are ways.. You wait until the end of the season and there will be a mad scramble because several teams will be looking for coaches. The only problem with waiting util the end of the year is the players will get dishearten and start to leave. Now are they the best maybe not but the new coach still has to field a team next year so some have to be willing to stay and they will be more likely if they know who the coach will be sooner rather than later. The problem with saying screaming at the coach from the stands is not good - well as a fans somehow they have to voice their disgust with the product. Yes they could write letters and try to talk to people but sometimes the gut level feeling just comes out and sometimes for the AD and president hearing this will make more of an impression then some letter they are reading in the office and easily throwing in the waste basket. The 750K is gone this year regardless. You appoint an interim and give him a 25 or 50K raise

to finish the year out. You can even promise them a job next year as an assistant - they did it when RM came and the guy - forgot his name - did just that and left after that year. You take this low profile wait and see approach and you will simply put the program in even a worse position.

Maybe not - his contract should have a buy out - how high it is is anybody's guess. Sodie's was only 300K. You can not wait until the end of the year to start the process. May or whoever is going to do it has to start putting together a list - maybe that has already been done who knows. While you can not talk directly to them, you start back channel investigating - yes I know you have to get permission to talk to any coaches under contract but there are ways.. You wait until the end of the season and there will be a mad scramble because several teams will be looking for coaches. The only problem with waiting util the end of the year is the players will get dishearten and start to leave. Now are they the best maybe not but the new coach still has to field a team next year so some have to be willing to stay and they will be more likely if they know who the coach will be sooner rather than later. The problem with saying screaming at the coach from the stands is not good - well as a fans somehow they have to voice their disgust with the product. Yes they could write letters and try to talk to people but sometimes the gut level feeling just comes out and sometimes for the AD and president hearing this will make more of an impression then some letter they are reading in the office and easily throwing in the waste basket. The 750K is gone this year regardless. You appoint an interim and give him a 25 or 50K raise to finish the year out. You can even promise them a job next year as an assistant - they did it when RM came and the guy - forgot his name - did just that and left after that year. You take this low profile wait and see approach and you will simply put the program in even a worse position.

You're referring to Angres Thorpe. And it was the wrong choice. How much better off would the program be if Majerus had chosen to retain Billiken alum Jamall Walker instead of Thorpe? Might even have Jayson Tatum, to boot.

I'm a bit late to this due to work and sobbing over last night's sh!tshow...

...but what the f*ck was I thinking picking this team to win 20+ games and make the NIT?!?!

I know where my head was at the time. I didn't want to believe that the program could possibly disintegrate so quickly. It was my belief -- still is to a degree -- that there is talent on the team. Crews is a veteran coach who did a good job shepherding Majerus's squad to two A-10 titles and a couple of NCAA wins. It couldn't just go to sh!t in less than 2 years, right? Right?

Beyond that, I didn't want to buy into overwhelming negativity and cynicism, even as many of the detractors were making legit points using empirical data that showed that this season would suck. So I put my faith in Crews and May. Once again, they wouldn't just let this all go to crap, right? Right?

Last night, I saw a program hit rock bottom. Almost nobody showed up, less than two years after the arena was filled on a nightly basis with excited and engaged fans. Those who did manage to force themselves to Chaifetz were either despondent or physically angry. Crews was heckled by numerous fans throughout the night, and he deserved every insult hurled his way.

This sucks. It just plain sucks. Previously, I could have been labeled a Crews defender. No more. He has to go, and the sooner, the better. I can't sit through another season like this, especially knowing there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

If they do not become competitive at some point for an extended period, though, "that's different".

This may be the dumbest thing MB has ever said on this board.

He did get one thing right...there's some horseshit going on...but it's coming from the basketball program.

Waiting and seeing got this program to this point. Does it have to get worse?

You're referring to Angres Thorpe. And it was the wrong choice. How much better off would the program be if Majerus had chosen to retain Billiken alum Jamall Walker instead of Thorpe? Might even have Jayson Tatum, to boot.

I don't think it was RM's choice. What I remember is that Thorpe was being rewarded for being the interim until RM was hired. You are probably right that Walker long term may have been a better choice.

Honest questions - what do you need to see before you've had enough? How long are you willing to wait? How low are you willing to let the program sink before you admit it's time to move on?

You appear to be the last man standing on Team Crews. The only "over the top ugly" thing happening is on the court. People are being reasonable here.