Zeke Moore - 2016 Commit

It's a panic desperation move is your conclusion based on your 2 minutes of research mostly on this site. Good stuff

Talk to some people about him as a prospect and then tell me if I'm wrong.

He could be a stud, but it's a little early to reach on these guys. That's life in the Jim Crews era though.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true. Every commitment comes from a player we just hear about a day or two before. And the guys we work for months or years don't come here. It's weird.

As for the results, I don't want to remind you about last season's numbers. They were results, of a kind. I agree that they were results. I disagree with those results having much value. Handing in your test to the teacher first doesn't mean you're getting an A.

I think a lot of the recruiting chatter is crap and most certainly incomplete in terms of which players SLU is looking at. I'm not going to read much into the timing of when a recruit hits our radar vs when he commits. We have very little / no idea of how long SLU has been going after him.

Moore is an honor roll student, according to his dad. Then again, his dad can't spell anything and mostly uses his Twitter to retweet recruiting mentions for Zeke, so take that as you will.

Also - this kid was on no one's radar as of like a week ago. I can find only two low-quality videos on him. Details are fairly scarce; he averaged 26 or so points for a crappy HS team coached by his dad. He's intriguing but has a lot of question marks. I wish we had more to work with, but I don't think it's worth planting your flag too deeply in either "he's a waste" or "he's a stud" camp quite yet.

This staff hasn't given us much to be optimistic about but I don't think this is a Jolly or Welmer-level signing.

I'll add this for the locals: GOSEETHEKIDPLAY this upcoming season. If you're afraid to go to Riverview, I'm sure they have some approachable road games.

I'd really like to know what more people think. It's crazy to get a commitment from a local kid that no one paid attention to until he was heading into his senior year. Really unusual recruitment on every level. There are a lot of good basketball fans here, so let's get your own first-hand opinions on his game and potential.

Talk to some people about him as a prospect and then tell me if I'm wrong.

He could be a stud, but it's a little early to reach on these guys. That's life in the Jim Crews era though.

Here are some #s for you:

Moore is an honor roll student, according to his dad. Then again, his dad can't spell anything and mostly uses his Twitter to retweet recruiting mentions for Zeke, so take that as you will.

Also - this kid was on no one's radar as of like a week ago. I can find only two low-quality videos on him. Details are fairly scarce; he averaged 26 or so points for a crappy HS team coached by his dad. He's intriguing but has a lot of question marks. I wish we had more to work with, but I don't think it's worth planting your flag too deeply in either "he's a waste" or "he's a stud" camp quite yet.

This staff hasn't given us much to be optimistic about but I don't think this is a Jolly or Welmer-level signing.

From fellow MBM thetorch in the 2016 recruiting thread:

I imagine I've seen Zeke Moore more than the rest of the board combined. I've played pickup with him at North.

He's a fallback. Very similar to Bartley. Long, lean, and a + shooter from deep. His other skills are at best average. I'm not as high on him as 3 star. He is 6'5 or 6'6 and is longer than that. He can score, that is his best skill right now. Sneed is a better player than him, I've seen it first hand.

I think Moore is underrated in the area. He gets no pub whatsoever. He's worth taking a flyer on, but so are the kids on Althoff or the kid on O'Fallon. We don't have a scorer on the roster, besides maybe Yarbrough, and we don't have a scorer who is also a shooter. He fits a role but I'm not sure if his other skills translate to an A-10 level starter.

Not exactly glowing, but it seems like there's something to work with there. This is probably the best we have to go on.

So you'd gladly give Crews a pass if he committed to an MVC school and had an 1000 point career there? I remember one past coach who was crucified for that mistake.

If you like his game and thought he would be a good fit at SLU, why did you never bring his name up before?

So per torch we just signed a bench player who can score. In the middle of July. Hard to get excited.

Like I said I'm not writing him off. I just think you take a risk and get him in 7 months and go after your top targets now.

This board is going to hell btw. You're either in the group that the staff can't do anything right (that's my group) or its a crime to even question them group

Has the board ever not been like that? How quickly people forget all the Soderberg debates and Majerus early year debates, etc.

The kid is reach, but could workout. It sounds like he has some tools to work with.

I don't have a huge problem with the the offer because I think it might be more about establishing a solid relationship with Team Ramey. I thought if you were trying to build a relationship with a local AAU program that a Barnes offer and the Eagles made more sense. Maybe they have decided that Eagles relationship just isn't going to happen and will now focus on Team Ramey.

Will see how this works out.

3 star mentioned this kid well over a year ago. I did as well. He showed up to several games and the staff has been recruiting him for quite some time. I thought at the time he was the Plan B to Tatum and it turns out he was.

He can shoot. As far as spot up shooters in the area if he isn't the best he is close.

That is all he did at North. Sit on the wing and shoot. He and his father thought he was underutilized and he went to Riverview. He's expanded his game but remember he plays for an awful team. I've never seen him play for Ramey. Once again his handles, athleticism, defense, for a guard are average at best, but he is 6'6. He is weak, very slight, maybe 180 Lbs possibly less. Rebounding is not his forte either. He won't be a combo forward. He would compare favorably to Cobbin or Diener potentially. I think he is a spot up shooter at this level. He fills a need on the team. Are the Srs at Althoff better? Maybe, but maybe not. We aren't getting Tatum or Sneed so he's right there below them. I'd still take Sneed over him right now but Moore has one near elite skill, shooting, where as Sneed has none. Moore could fizzle out but he could potentially be a better player because he is such a good shooter. He also won't be one of these guys who can't play the guard spot, like the kid from Edwardsville a few years back or Bartley who can't defend on the perimeter.

If you like his game and thought he would be a good fit at SLU, why did you never bring his name up before?

Are we talking about 3star mentioning Zeke Moore before because from the link he posted in the 2016 recruiting thread, he pulled up a post he had in March where he said he would take Zeke Moore over any of the other local kids, including Sneed. When looking at guard position.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26450

WHO THE FUOK IS ZEKE MOOAAARNASON???

Drake
Eastern Illinois
Illinois State
Indiana State
Jacksonville State
Loyola Chicago
Northern Illinois
UMKC
Western Illinois

These schools are bogus. There is WAAAAAAY too much time left to use one of two schollies on this kid. I'm sure he's a nice boy and all, but there are academic/parental meddling questions to boot? This is akin to Jim Levenstein taking the band geek when there's still a chance he could actually come inside Nadia. Gotdammit. I guess our team is just going to be shi.tty now. Again.

Not very excited about this one. Roby is our ONLY 3-star player. Numbers are numbers. How can we ever hope to achieve Xavier's level of recruiting, with all 3 and 4 stars, except for Tim Stainbrook (who sucks balls)? Maybe we need black alternate uniforms.

It would be one thing if I thought Jim Crews could do a damn thing with a player. And I haven't heard sh.it from Calbert Cheaney either, as far as recruiting OR development of talent. And I doubt Tanner Bronson is owning living rooms across the country and simultaneously channeling Rick Majerus and Bo Ryan while delivering earth-shattering coaching tidbits every practice.

Can we just fire everyone and buy a coach for $2-2.5 million? I guess I can sit through one more year, hoping to get over the hump, but at that point... I'm dead serious. Clean the fuoking cupboard.

Even though 3 point shooting was about the best part of our offensive game last year (not saying it was good), you can never have enough shooters. So from that standpoint it's good.

I don't have a problem with getting the kid especially because he's local but considering everything we need, I don't understand not waiting a bit. The fact that he seems to have average skills otherwise, is weak, and could have other issues isn't appealing to me.

I hope he's A10 POY. Crews hasn't given us much reason to believe in his recruits but I'll wait it out.

I hope he's A10 POY. Crews hasn't given us much reason to believe in his recruits but I'll wait it out.

See I don't think it's the recruits because as was stated in the other thread, these are the types of recruits you have to win with for years before you can get the 4 and maybe an occasional 5 star kid. My question would be can Crews assemble the right kids needed to run the system he wants to implement and coach them up to run the system. I am willing to give him this year to see what changes or improvements he has made. If it's another terrible season though, I hope May will look to spend money on a new coach.

First and foremost, I welcome Zeke Moore and wish him the best as a Billiken. I hope he turns out to be a stud.

BUT:

Lets stop trying to sell the idea that player ratings don't matter. They do. Do they tell the whole story? NO. Is there the occasionally under rated/off the radar player that ends up having pro potential? YES…but they are the exception.

Duke and kentucky sign highly rated players and what are the results? CHAMPIONSHIPS. Teams that recruit highly rated players tend to do well. Teams that recruit lowly rated players tend to do poorly. In this era of the one-and-done having 4 year players can bring you some success, but it will only take you so far. We had some mid-rating, 4 year players with Jordair and the crew and it brought SLU success but ultimately no success in the NCAA tournament.

Ratings are given by bigger sources (ESPN,Rivals, MaxPreps, etc.) and those sources follow players who are being given attention. Attention is being given to those who are doing something worthy of attention. There are reasons why some players are rated higher than others. There are reasons why some players don't get any attentions (they haven't don't anything worthy of attention). The fact that we are getting guy after guy that has been been getting little attention is worrying. We can hope for the best with each new recruit, and I will be cheering for each player along with the rest of you, but let's realize that the fact that we are now getting unrated recruits (2 stars is the default that Verbal Commits gives, and no other source has even given him a rating…ESPN doesn't even have him in their data base) is a bad sign.

I disagree but my point stands. Barnes is also a higher rated recruit and is a point guard which we need.

My point in saying this is that you think very little of Crews. If you think so little of this guy, how can you then rationally think that Tatum would have ever wanted to come play for him?

So per torch we just signed a bench player who can score. In the middle of July. Hard to get excited.

Like I said I'm not writing him off. I just think you take a risk and get him in 7 months and go after your top targets now.

-kid can't sign until November 11