SLU Baseball

kwyjibo

The last few seasons people on this board have mentioned the SLU baseball team. This year I have not noticed any mentions so even though I know nothing about this team I do check their results periodically. This team has the best RPI/Computer Rating I can remember (even in previous "good" years their RPI rankings have not been this good) and their current RPI is 83. This is not good enough for an NCAA tourney at-large (and their SOS in their remaining games leaves little hope for them to get to an at-large position) but they would likely be the A10 championship favorite. Richmond and GW (host of the A10 tourney this year) have decent chances as well but SLU has the best RPI and current Massey ratings (80). A 4th A10 title is a decent possibility.

The last few seasons people on this board have mentioned the SLU baseball team. This year I have not noticed any mentions so even though I know nothing about this team I do check their results periodically. This team has the best RPI/Computer Rating I can remember (even in previous "good" years their RPI rankings have not been this good) and their current RPI is 83. This is not good enough for an NCAA tourney at-large (and their SOS in their remaining games leaves little hope for them to get to an at-large position) but they would likely be the A10 championship favorite. Richmond and GW (host of the A10 tourney this year) have decent chances as well but SLU has the best RPI and current Massey ratings (80). A 4th A10 title is a decent possibility.

Thanks for the update. I hope the team can put together a nice run at the end of the year here to get themselves a tourney bid.

The steady stream of draft picks is also helping Billy ball keep trending in the right direction. They have a chance to really become a power player in the Midwest, which in the C-USA days would have been a pipedream.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Bills had a lot of injuries this year. I believe their #1 pitcher and one of their top hitters have been out. I thought I read where both those guys were coming back though

Rican ... any updates?

This article from Disco Stu provides a good rundown. Click on it so that we can hopefully see more SLU baseball articles in the future.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/offense-carries-slu-baseball-to-success/article_cf9ce4eb-17b4-5312-b940-9e4b08fe7f35.html

As Box and Won mentioned SLU got the 1 seed for the A-10 seed for the A-10 tournament. This is the bracket: http://www.atlantic10.com/fls/31600/pdfs/2015%20Baseball%20Championship%20Bracket.pdf?CONTENT_ID=983162&DB_OEM_ID=31600

There is a nice advantage for getting the #1 seed. Most obviously you are the only team to have to win one less game (everyone else plays on Wednesday while SLU starts on Thursday). But also important is the ability to line-up your pitchers better--it is a double elimination tournament and being 1 pitcher ahead in your rotation can help. Of course, if SLU loses its first game it would play again the same day anyway but they would still be one game ahead of most teams they play in the losers bracket.

Greeting from the rainy East Coast. The Bills/VCU game has been pushed back to an 8:30 pm (7:30 CT) start here due to rain. I will be surprised if they get it in at all given today's forecast. The rest of the weekend through Memorial Day will be gorgeous here in the Mid-Atlantic.

As a former Bills baseball player -- Go Bills!

Billikens struggling early down 5-0 to Davidson...Hendrickson has really turned the program around but after 4 straight a10 reg season championships we still have yet to make a good dent in post seasons

2 tournament titles in five years not doing it for you?

Frustrating end to both the baseball and softball seasons this year. BB was #1 seed and SB was #2 seed going into the conference tournaments, and both teams were 2 and through. Congrats to all the players for record-setting regular seasons, and especially to the seniors as many of them conclude their playing careers and begin their true life's journeys.

Frustrating end to both the baseball and softball seasons this year. BB was #1 seed and SB was #2 seed going into the conference tournaments, and both teams were 2 and through. Congrats to all the players for record-setting regular seasons, and especially to the seniors as many of them conclude their playing careers and begin their true life's journeys.

They spent too much time watching the Blues.

Definitely a disappointing end to the season. Congrats to the team and especially the senior class, they should be proud. It's a shame the A10 isnt stronger in baseball. Winning the tournament is a crapshoot. First place finishes in the old C-USA days would get you an autobid and most likely hosting a regional.

Darin is a great coach and has taken the program to a new level. We are fortunate to have him and I hope he sticks around a long time.

And 05, watch your mouth.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats also to Colton Frabisilio (23rd round pick 699) & Jackson Wark.

ST. LOUIS - Saint Louis had a pair of baseball players selected in the 2015 MLB Draft on June 10. Junior catcher Jake Henson and senior catcher/outfielder Colton Frabasilio were the Saint Louis selections. This marks the second consecutive season in which the Billikens have had two draft selections, and the fourth time SLU has had multiple picks under Darin Hendrickson.

Henson was drafted by the Dodgers in the 21st round (pick 642). He was SLU's top power hitter in 2015. He hit .327 with a .531 slugging percentage and a .366 on-base percentage. Henson led the team with eight home runs and 46 RBIs. He recorded 20 multi-hit games in 2015. Prior to this season Henson had 13 multi-hit games in two seasons as a Billiken.

Frabasilio was a threat in the heart of the Billiken lineup, hitting .313 with a .460 slugging percentage and a .381 on-base percentage. He notched four home runs and 35 RBIs. Frabasilio also made a tough transition from catcher to full-time outfielder in 2014, making 31 starts in the outfield as a senior.

Also drafted was incoming freshman Jackson Wark (30th round, pick no. 899 by New York Mets). He is the first Billiken signee to get selected in the MLB draft under Hendrickson. Wark pitches for Bellerose Composite in Alberta, Canada. He is currently trying out for the Canadian Junior National Team.