Grandy Glazed off into the sunset

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neufeld and Wellmer are coming in along with Bishop.

Yep...halfway through coffee. Was thinking about FBJT's class and what we'd have available but with only Ash graduating, realize we'll just have two as kshoe pointed out.

Wonder when Stu "Pulitzer" Durando will even pull together a tweet about Bishop signing and Glaze officially leaving?

Hey he managed to put together a couple thousand words on Soderberg taking an assistant job at Virginia.

Hey he managed to put together a couple thousand words on Soderberg taking an assistant job at Virginia.

While national writers are doing Q&A's with FBJT, Stu is doing this. Heck, even the beat writer of a second rate program whose team did NOT make JT's final list did a Q&A with his dad. I think when FBJT commits to SLU, there is a decent chance Stu won't even tweet about it. I really miss the good old days of Tom Timmermann.

I'd suggest you send stu an email with you suggestions and comments. Slu did a good job the first time he did the billiken beat job before being moved to the illini beat and Tom taking over. My guess is stu is doing exactly what his bosses want him to do.

I'd suggest you send stu an email with you suggestions and comments. Slu did a good job the first time he did the billiken beat job before being moved to the illini beat and Tom taking over. My guess is stu is doing exactly what his bosses want him to do.

Hopefully he responds to emails because he's ignored daily tweets from about a dozen people over the last 4-5 days

That's certainly not the case in the modern world of journalism with social media, blogs, etc. There is more flexibility. For example, I doubt the bosses at the P-D told Timmermann to do his life on the road blogs. If so, why hasn't Stu been given the same assignment? Did the P-D bosses tell him to retweet McBroom leaving but NOT retweet that Bishop has signed or that SLU is in Tatum's final four? You don't have to be a great investigative journalist to simply retweet SLU related tidbits that national bball writers are digging up. All he would have to do is to check on the verbal commits twitter feed on occasion and find some SLU news.

My guess is stu is doing exactly what his bosses want him to do.

I think this is the problem actually. Stu does only what the PD asks of him in terms of Billiken hoops coverage. He writes up the post game recaps and the requisite number of other articles, but does nothing above that. Unfortunately, he falls very short of providing the kind of coverage that today's media (twitter & blogs) allows for, but might not be required by the PD. Stu certainly could tweet more about the Bills or do blog posts about them. I doubt the PD is stopping him, but because (I'm assuming) they don't require it, he doesn't do it. IMO a young reporter (or perhaps a fanboy *cough* Dave Matter *cough*) who is ambitious would provide this type of coverage without being required. Old sports writers (Stu and to some extend Timmermann) are just going to do what is asked of them in terms of print media and be content with their 5th tier sports reporter status.

Couldn't agree more with RUBills - Stu has no desire to go above and beyond. He's been there 20 years or whatever and is content in submitting his mediocrity. I'm sure there is a lot of that in the newspaper industry with the low morale and such.

Stu could learn a lot from Dave Reynolds of the Peoria Journal Star who provides great coverage of Bradley even though he's stretched over several areas.