New DBO - Charles Nishida

Saint Louis University head men’s basketball coach Jim Crews announced today that Charles Nishidahas been named director of operations. Nishida replaces Mike Lepore, who was named an assistant coach at San Jose State.

“I speak for everyone associated with our program when I say we are extremely pleased to have Charles on board in a full-time capacity,” Crews said. “He has been with us for four years and knows the program inside and out. This position requires someone with impeccable organizational skills and an understanding of our program, and Charles fits it perfectly.”

As director of basketball operations, Nishida will be involved in numerous facets of the men’s basketball program including on-campus recruiting, travel plans, scheduling, basketball compliance and academics.

Nishida, who graduated from SLU in May with B.S.B.A, Sports Business degree, served as a men’s basketball team manager for four years. His duties in that role included assisting with management of the recruiting calendar, helping coordinate travel and breaking down practice and game film.

Danny Brown is not the DBO. He is player development coordinator, a new position on the staff.

Danny Brown is not the DBO. He is player development coordinator, a new position on the staff.

We are replacing Mike Lepore with a student manager? Seems like a big skill gap although I don't fully know the role of a DBO and maybe his time as a student manager makes him an ideal fit.

We are replacing Mike Lepore with a student manager? Seems like a big skill gap although I don't fully know the role of a DBO and maybe his time as a student manager makes him an ideal fit.

The student manager position is essentially an assistant to the DBO. Its a natural progression to move from one position to the other.

Just saw on the twitters that the Billikens have a video coordinator position open as well. Don't know if it is an Asst spot or if Marcus Wilson has left the staff.

Chuck is a fantastic replacement

Good to hear. I don't know the guy, but on paper it just seems like a big loss going from Mike Lepore to this guy to fill the same position. His experience would seem to line up more with a graduate assistant, but I am not sure whether there needs to be a distinction between those two positions.

The student manager position is essentially an assistant to the DBO. Its a natural progression to move from one position to the other.

Just saw on the twitters that the Billikens have a video coordinator position open as well. Don't know if it is an Asst spot or if Marcus Wilson has left the staff.

I was a student manager during my time at SLU and understand that role well. I was more commenting on the experience gap between the outgoing DBO, Mike Lepore, and this guy.

Per more stuff on the twitters, the video coordinator position appears to be more of a AD marketing position. I do not think it is the same as Marcus Wilson's position.

Per more stuff on the twitters, the video coordinator position appears to be more of a AD marketing position. I do not think it is the same as Marcus Wilson's position.

That makes more sense. I was alarmed that Wilson was leaving.

Good to hear. I don't know the guy, but on paper it just seems like a big loss going from Mike Lepore to this guy to fill the same position. His experience would seem to line up more with a graduate assistant, but I am not sure whether there needs to be a distinction between those two positions.

Lepore was very good at his job, while there is an experience gap Lepore didn't have that much experience when he entered into it. He was never a grad asst at Wake. He spent two years as a video and recruiting coordinator and 1 season as asst DBO before taking over as our DBO.

Lepore was very good at his job, while there is an experience gap Lepore didn't have that much experience when he entered into it. He was never a grad asst at Wake. He spent two years as a video and recruiting coordinator and 1 season as asst DBO before taking over as our DBO.

Lepore was very good. I think he'll be missed but the continuity of having Chuck is a good thing for sure.

As far as the video coordinator, RUBillsFan is right. Pretty sure it's an overall athletic department position, not specific to any sport.