World Cup 23 man roster named. no Donovan

The US is good not great. They need to take that last step which is their skill on the ball and imo that has to start with the youth programs. They have identified shortcomings in the way they develop players and I believe they are trying to get better. It just won't be an overnight change. On any given day, they can play with and beat anyone, however, I just don't believe they can do it enough times in a row to win

So you would agree that the youth development strategy is definitely on the right track? The emphasis of academies and taking kids away from their HS programs has to help, as much as it pains me to say it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me Donovan's play has started to drop. He is probably still talented enough to be on the roster, but there is more to it than that. Is the talent he still has left worth the distraction a Donovan could become sitting on the bench or not being the major focus offensively?

The US has literally no chance to win the World Cup. We just don't have enough skill on the ball. It's possible to get out of group play but it will be tough as they'll have to at a minimum tie GE or Port and beat Ghana. Anything can happen in any given day, but to win it all the US would have upsets in about 5 or 6 straight games.

I like what JK is trying to do, but until we have the players with the ability to control and move the ball quickly we won't be consistent and we'll have turnovers that leave us vulnerable. And with a suspect defense all the way across that isn't a good thing. The US needs Howard to make a couple of big saves in the GE and/or Port games. I like the youth in the back as the athleticism could help.

I still don't like the Donovan decision and the more I read the more convinced I am it is personal, and there isn't any place for that. Even if it was a deal with Green, I don't like it. We should be putting our best team on the pitch and LD is part of our best team. He has the ability to play almost any attacking position and in the open field I'm not sure which other players foot I'd rather have the ball at on a counter attack. He should be there over Davis, Wondo, or Green. JK's kid is a little punk ass who needs to be ***** slapped. A little telling about the conversations around the Klinsmann household.

You are correct in that the US is now good but not great. How soon we forget that we went decades without being good enough to even participate in the World Cup. For years, we would take our best college players (mostly recent grads) along with any foreign player/professional with any connection to the USA (dual citizen, the son of an overseas military family, etc) and throw them out against the world's best. Keeping the score close was moral victory and hoping for 1-0 win was even better. Then, as the host nation (1984?), we finally got invited, played well and even surprised many in the FIFA soccer community. Didn't we beat Columbia with their guy scoring an own goal before being later killed? Finally, we were ready to qualify. Thereafter, the rest of the teams were ready for us and we were deemed to have "underperformed" despite fielding stronger team every 4 years. Lately, we have been dominating North America and have been beating Mexico - even at Mexico. Yes, the US is good now, soccer is on the right track in America and we are making small and steady steps toward becoming a factor in the World Cup. Still, though, a long way to go.

I guess because this is our Billiken board, I am reminded of comparison with our basketball team. Yes, we have made the NCAA Tourney three (3) years in a row, yes we have won our first round game each year, yes we have been nationally ranked, yes we are capable of a post-season run like UD last year, but no, the Billikens are not ready to win the NCAA Tourney anymore than USA is ready to win the World Cup. Team chemistry, good coaching, over-achieving 3 star talent make for a good team. But winning the whole thing requires a great team -- top shelf talent.

Team chemistry is the number 1 priority again this year for USA. Putting the same players out year after year is not the answer. If Donovan has a bad attitude, then go with the youth movement. Yes, Donovan has been good (maybe the best USA has had) but he is not great -- Beckham, Messi, Ronaldo. If Donovan has lost a step, if a personality clash remains, then leave Donovan behind. So what if he is a Top 20 guy -- we only play 10 position players. Yes, Donovan could offer so much to this team and the youngsters simply by being part of the team, in the locker room but not everyone is willing to accept that role. If Donovan was deemed capable of this role, then he probably would have made the team.

1994 in the U.S. was when Andres Escobar got killed after kicking one into his own net for Colombia. It was a neat atmosphere to see the Cup tournament in the US, but the results of the Cups since show the US has a long way to go.

1994 in the U.S. was when Andres Escobar got killed after kicking one into his own net for Colombia. It was a neat atmosphere to see the Cup tournament in the US, but the results of the Cups since show the US has a long way to go.

I think the last three tournaments have shown exactly what the US is. A top 10-20 team, but still a ways to go until they are a top 3-10 team. We have a great core of young guys that are getting huge time with the senior members- Dempsey, Bradley, etc. Guys who have "been there"

I don't believe there is any issue between LD and his teammates. Nor do I believe he would have been a distraction had he not started.

NH .. I don't know the progress the youth system is making nor do I know if not allowing them to play for their HS has helped. I would assume it would as the level of coaching should be better. One of the things they were trying to change was how many games kids were playing. They were playing so many games that they didn't really get enough fundamental development. It won't be a quick fix as it has to start with the kids. We've made great progress I believe over the last 20 or 30 years but the last step is still to be acheived. Kids in Europe and South America grow up with a ball at their feet. They can bring it under control quicker and move it more accurately and at a faster pace. It seems simple but imo this is where we are lacking. We're agressive, physical, we hustle and play hard ... we just don't have that top notch skill level on the ball. SLUBALLS could probably give you a better read on the sate of youth coaching than I could.

I don't believe there is any issue between LD and his teammates. Nor do I believe he would have been a distraction had he not started.

NH .. I don't know the progress the youth system is making nor do I know if not allowing them to play for their HS has helped. I would assume it would as the level of coaching should be better. One of the things they were trying to change was how many games kids were playing. They were playing so many games that they didn't really get enough fundamental development. It won't be a quick fix as it has to start with the kids. We've made great progress I believe over the last 20 or 30 years but the last step is still to be acheived. Kids in Europe and South America grow up with a ball at their feet. They can bring it under control quicker and move it more accurately and at a faster pace. It seems simple but imo this is where we are lacking. We're agressive, physical, we hustle and play hard ... we just don't have that top notch skill level on the ball. SLUBALLS could probably give you a better read on the sate of youth coaching than I could.

I think you nailed it on the culture aspect. In the US, kids are looking at the NBA, MLB, or the NFL before they think of soccer. In some of the power nations in soccer, that is the only thing going.

Can the culture change? Maybe. There's a proud history of soccer in St. Louis.

I think you nailed it on the culture aspect. In the US, kids are looking at the NBA, MLB, or the NFL before they think of soccer. In some of the power nations in soccer, that is the only thing going.

Can the culture change? Maybe. There's a proud history of soccer in St. Louis.

If we're looking for the culture to change to where the majority of the kids grow up wanting to play soccer over football, basketball, and baseball, it's probably not going to happen. I don't think it needs to. As more and more generations of Dad's have played and become coaches that know the game the coaching will be better. The culture I think needs to change is the desire to win at young ages. I see it in the basketball I coach where games and winning is more important then teaching the skills and fundamentals. My organization had 19 teams grades 1-9 last year. We have specific guidelines on how much practice time must be spent on skills and fundamentals and we still have a hell of a time getting coaches to follow the guidelines and understand what we want to accomplish. They want to learn plays and offenses rather than teach the basic skills and let the kids make mistakes ... even if we lose the game. A few get it but probably 50% don't. Soccer is no different, kids have to learn the skills. Less games, more fudamental work.

Coaching education is lights years ahead of where it was 15 years ago when I started coaching. The combination of better coaching education, players who benefited from the coaching now starting to coach, and the fact one can actually watch ample amount of soccer on the tube will all go towards making us a better soccer nation. Things that will keep us from the elite: not attracting our elite athletes to play the game.

Wasn't able to tune in for much of the 2nd half, but it looks like Davis made a pretty positive impact last night. We looked pretty blah in the 1st half, but some of this is attributable to the opponent bunkering 10 ppl behind the ball, which I don't expect to see from any of our group round opponents.

I used to rip on soccer as that seemed to be the "cool" thing to do, but boy have I come around. I am nowhere near where most of you guys are in understanding the sport, but watching youth soccer has gotten really fun for me. Both my girls are now playing and since they started playing at early age, they are both developing and that is fun to watch.

Until the US team shows they can beat Ghana I am not gonna believe in a friendly match which means nothing as a measure of how good this team really is. Nigeria looked to me like they could turn on the switch at anytime to force a tie. June 16th is right around the corner now!,

Until the US team shows they can beat Ghana I am not gonna believe in a friendly match which means nothing as a measure of how good this team really is. Nigeria looked to me like they could turn on the switch at anytime to force a tie. June 16th is right around the corner now!,

I don't know what game you were watching. Until we put in Gonzalez we didn't give up much at all. Nigeria had a couple of chances early but nothing that truly tested Howard. I didn't feel they were really in the match and had the US finished better the score could have been worse. Had they not subbed and changed their back line it's probably an easy 2-0 win

I like Fabian Johnson at right back. People keep knocking Beasley but he's by far their best left back and imo is pretty good. The middle 2 in back scare the hell out of me.

Don't know if I prefer Bedoya or Zusi.

I really dislike the idea of Jones and Beckerman together but am leaning to believing it's the best for us right now due to our middle 2 across the back.

Bradley is the man.

It'd be nice to have another quality RB to free up Johnson to play an outside mid position. Our left and right mid options are really limited athletically in this group. And the two with athleticism are either limited technically (bedoya) or unknown/not ready for prime time (green).

I share the same concerns about our CBs. I've really grown to like beckerman's game. It's limited for sure, but he can be deployed in a limited role (in front of the back four) and play that spot fairly well. I only watch some of the game yesterday, but jones was freed up a bit by beckerman's presence it seems and played very well.

The one guy that I think gets too much credit is Dempsey.

I like Fabian as a defender rather than a mid. I'm ok with bedoya or zusi at right mid. I'd let the opponent decide who plays. The first goal yesterday was really bedoya making the play the Fabian got the assist and jozy the tap in. I keep wanting Kyle and Jermaine to turn the ball upfield more but when they do its a turnover far too often resulting in a counter. All 3 center backs scare me. They just get caught watching the play far too often, reacting to space and runs too slowly. None of the 3have any business starting in a world cup. Their was one play in the second half on a Nigeria free kick 40ish yards out to their right. Besler marks a guy Kyle has a guy. Beslers guy just steps around him and gets free behind him on the far post. Kyles guy looks to make a run to the middle of the goal. Kyle jams him impeding his run and he's out of the play. The ball didn't get to beslers man but if it had he was beat. Happens consistently. Athletically any of the 3are fine. Their awareness of the game around them is terrible.

Random observations from yesterday's game:

• Nigeria's goalie was complete crap. On the first goal, the only play Johnson had was to play it across the six yard box given his tight angle, so the goalie should have done better to go down to stop the pass inside. The second goal, I know it was a well struck shot but again, I think a better goalie could have dealt with it a bit better.
  • Bradley is an animal. His workrate, distribution, tackling, and awareness are second to none on this team. Now sure if others noticed, but in the first half, Dempsey was near the touchline just inside our half with some pressure on him,. He tried to do some clever flick behind himself to get the ball to Bradley which resulted in a turnover and a sharp move forward for Nigeria. Luckily we got it out of bounds. Bradley was all over Dempsey vocally and through gestures and you could tell Bradley has no qualms with calling Dempsey out for those shenanigans.
  • Backline... I know people like fullbacks getting forward and it has been beneficial with Johnson, but that is leaving our centerbacks exposed big time. I think the dual D-mid is an absolute because we want Bradley to be freed up but also because if the backs have license to get forward, then we need cover by one of the d-mid w/o leaving our centerbacks unprotected..
  • Backline II.... we are very vulnerable and we just have to accept it. Nothing is going to make anyone comfortable. Our best bet is Cameron and Besler but that partnership is very new. Not like it a Pique/Puyol or Vidic/Ferdinand relationship. They will be exposed. Hopefully the experience helps for the longer-term.
  • There was a shot at the beginning of the game showing the bench and it was interesting seeing the youth on the US team - Johannson, Green, Chandler, Brooks, and Diskerud - sitting together, These are the guys we will be talking about it four years; I hope whatever we experience in this World Cup just elevates their hunger for the next cycle.

Anyway, looking forward to this WC. Really hoping for a Argentina/Brazil final....that's possible, right? That would be an insanely emotional and physical game.

If we didn't have to play two defensive mids. With that said, he's never really stood out to me. Not bad, not great.

I guess we must be watching different games. Mix provides something that very few Americans can do at this point: Creativity and understanding of the game. He creates chances and always ends up in a spot to finish. He will be a huge sub for us this WC as he's been a different maker for us off the bench in the past. Russia, Azerbaijan, anyone?

I guess we must be watching different games. Mix provides something that very few Americans can do at this point: Creativity and understanding of the game. He creates chances and always ends up in a spot to finish. He will be a huge sub for us this WC as he's been a different maker for us off the bench in the past. Russia, Azerbaijan, anyone?

Agreed.

We're definitely watching different games. Really the AZ game? He committed a foul to get a weak header on a ball and had a rebound bounce to him and he finished nicely. He's soft and his passing is soft. I agree he generally has an idea ... I'll give you that. But more Mix? in place of who? I could see it with just Jones or Beckerman, but not with both and we need both. Jones was pretty good Saturday. Still physical but not completely out of control.

For SLU Balls ... I like the wide backs making runs. We shouldn't need 2 defensive mids to cover but we do. I'll take the tradeoff and play the 2 defensive mids and let the backs get forward.

I agree on the 1st goal but I'd have to look again to see if he had an option back towards the penalty spot, but the keep has to have his post there. The 2nd goal could have been saved but I think you're disregarding how little reaction time there was. That shot was hit hard and he was what 12 yds out? Very tough save if it's made

We're definitely watching different games. Really the AZ game? He committed a foul to get a weak header on a ball and had a rebound bounce to him and he finished nicely. He's soft and his passing is soft. I agree he generally has an idea ... I'll give you that. But more Mix? in place of who? I could see it with just Jones or Beckerman, but not with both and we need both. Jones was pretty good Saturday. Still physical but not completely out of control.

For SLU Balls ... I like the wide backs making runs. We shouldn't need 2 defensive mids to cover but we do. I'll take the tradeoff and play the 2 defensive mids and let the backs get forward.

I agree on the 1st goal but I'd have to look again to see if he had an option back towards the penalty spot, but the keep has to have his post there. The 2nd goal could have been saved but I think you're disregarding how little reaction time there was. That shot was hit hard and he was what 12 yds out? Very tough save if it's made

Agree to disagree on Mix. He generally makes sh*t happen on the field:

I like Fabian as a defender rather than a mid. I'm ok with bedoya or zusi at right mid. I'd let the opponent decide who plays. The first goal yesterday was really bedoya making the play the Fabian got the assist and jozy the tap in. I keep wanting Kyle and Jermaine to turn the ball upfield more but when they do its a turnover far too often resulting in a counter. All 3 center backs scare me. They just get caught watching the play far too often, reacting to space and runs too slowly. None of the 3have any business starting in a world cup. Their was one play in the second half on a Nigeria free kick 40ish yards out to their right. Besler marks a guy Kyle has a guy. Beslers guy just steps around him and gets free behind him on the far post. Kyles guy looks to make a run to the middle of the goal. Kyle jams him impeding his run and he's out of the play. The ball didn't get to beslers man but if it had he was beat. Happens consistently. Athletically any of the 3are fine. Their awareness of the game around them is terrible.

I've been unimpressed with Zusi at the USMNT level. He's had a couple of incisive passes here and there, but he's too slow, not creative enough and doesn't provide the service that Davis does (which is why i would choose Davis over Zusi).

Bedoya made a good play, but he usually runs around with his head cutoff and very little technical ability. He's a slightly more polished version of F. Hedjuk playing RM/LM.

Individually, I think Cameron and Besler are "ok" CB options. However, when they play together they are pretty bad. Lack of cohesion? Lack of communication? Lack of time together? Whatever it is, they're going to give up a lot of chances. Bad thing is, Gonzo is way worse. Heck, right now, Brooks might be our best CB and that's scary (although I think Brooks will turn into a monster CB for us down the road) or maybe even Edu. Based on the CB and RB/LB players called in, I still can't believe Ream didn't get a call to the 30-man roster.

That's a decent play but are you calling it a great play by putting up the video? He actually missed his target and got lucky there was a 2nd man coming through the box. Everyone at this level can make them.

We'll just disagree.

Who would you start against Ghana?