Milik Yarbrough Commits

JMM28

Great News! ! ! I've heard some very encouraging things about young Mr. Yarborough. I can't wait to see this kid as an upperclassman, once he figures out how to defend better; but I think he'll compete for minutes right away and figure out ways to chip in points. I also think those gossippy accusations about his "character" should be ignored, from what I gather.

Not sure if folks saw these quotes: they highlight the star power of our beloved Hoosier scoring machine:

"After talking with an assistant coach who is the all-time leading scorer in Big Ten history, I was excited," Yarbrough said of Cheaney. "He told and showed how he will work with me, how he did it and how we will work together. Coming from him, that means a lot."

The 6-6 wing has always had a penchant for scoring the basketball. Whether it was shooting from the perimeter or using his big body and strength in finishing around the basket, Yarbrough was a matchup nightmare for opposing high school coaches. But the Saint Louis staff believes he can be a defensive stopper with his size and length.

"I admit, I didn't play a whole lot of defense in high school," Yarbrough said with a laugh. "But that will all change in college. They really think I can be a defensive presence and guard multiple positions."

- See more at: http://www.highschoolcubenews.com/news_article/show/376741?referral=rss#sthash.inCg8BqD.dpuf

That's exactly what I was hoping CC would help us with. It didn't work in landing Kelan Martin - tool; but it is nice to see it was a big factor in landing MY.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The CC effect. He won't get many minutes if there's no D. Hope he plans on getting here early to work w/ CC on his D. I watched his video. Saw a slasher w/an outside shot. Looks like a good pickup. Getting more excited about these FR every day.

This is the time for the coaches to add a zone defense to our man to man, so that the players who are not as good at man to man can get some paying time. Why have a good scorer on the bench when we need points because he is weak at man to man? It also can help prevent so many drives to the basket. There are good teams that play good man to man but, will go to a zone for a short while to prevent drives, rest a team, protect a player in foul trouble, or to give the opponent a different look just to throw them off, especially after they have called a time out to adjust to the man to man. They don't have to stay in it long. Don't tell me about how strong our defense was last year. There were time when the defense was very weak.

-i'll take what Doc says about not worrying about MY's character and put those thoughts aside, good to hear

-from chi sun times....Yarbrough, who chose SLU over UNLV, Bradley, Illinois State and others, is next in line at SLU, joining Whitney Young's Miles Reynolds in the 2014 recruiting class. -

On the Illinois State board they were speculating why MY didn't get around to taking an official visit there - MY's dad was a good player there back in the day. Some speculation/excuses like maybe he didn't want to compete for playing time (at Ill State???) or he didn't want to play in his dad's shadow. Finally, a guy chimed in with an answer which I used to give on this board when we would miss recruits - "Maybe he wants to play for a program that has been to the NCAA Tournament within the last 15 years." It's nice that we are now a program that has that to sell. It seems like the staff has done a good job capitalizing on our recent success. Recruits commit very quickly after visiting. DR, AB, MR and now MY all recent examples. The recruiting process is not dragging on like it used to and we are not regarded as a back-up option for recruits.

DR commits to us early rather than continuing to explore SEC options. MB commits shortly after his visit and cancels his planned visit to Creighton (where his parents attended), MR commits after his visit to LSU. MY commits after an offer from UNLV. In the past, it would seeme we were almost always on the losing end of those recruiting situations. Great job by JC and staff.

I don't think we're going to be complaining about not having big guards and wings for a long time. We'll find new things to complain about. ;)

This is the time for the coaches to add a zone defense to our man to man, so that the players who are not as good at man to man can get some paying time. Why have a good scorer on the bench when we need points because he is weak at man to man? It also can help prevent so many drives to the basket. There are good teams that play good man to man but, will go to a zone for a short while to prevent drives, rest a team, protect a player in foul trouble, or to give the opponent a different look just to throw them off, especially after they have called a time out to adjust to the man to man. They don't have to stay in it long. ...

Seconded.

Thank you.

You can have the greatest defense, but you cannot win if you cannot score. You are not going to shut out a team.

This is still basketball, as in you have to make baskets to win. You cannot win an NCAA Tournament 3rd Round game against the defending National Champion going 0-15 from 3- point range. In SLU's last 2 NCAA Tournament 3rd Round games, SLU shot a combined 3-36 on 3's, with both opponents, Oregon in '13 and Louisville in '14, playing zone defenses.

I do not agree with keeping scorers on the bench because they can't play man to man defense. I agree you need to have a zone defense in the arsenal.

I see this Milik Yarbrough signing as a very good move, very favorable. SLU needs a 3 that can score the ball. Yarbrough may be the eventual successor to Dwayne Evans.

Zion-Benton is a big (2,800 students) Illinois 4A school. Yarbrough was Chicago Tribune 2nd Team All-State.

Bravo!

Seconded.

I see this Milik Yarbrough signing as a very good move, very favorable. SLU needs a 3 that can score the ball. Yarbrough may be the eventual successor to Dwayne Evans.

!

While I initially thought that Yarbrough might be a potential successor to DE, now I'm not so sure. Dwayne ended up being a 3 that was stretched into a 4. Yarbrough appears to be more of a 3 than act as a taller 2.

I remember how small and average build DE was as a freshman; it took a lot of effort on his part to claim his space on the floor

with body building, etc. I hope this one works as hard and does as well in school. It is good to see these young men graduating

with no shadows or blemished in their reputations as student athletes.

While I initially thought that Yarbrough might be a potential successor to DE, now I'm not so sure. Dwayne ended up being a 3 that was stretched into a 4. Yarbrough appears to be more of a 3 than act as a taller 2.

Yarbrough is definitely more of a 3/2

Yarbrough is definitely more of a 3/2

Outside of his size and his inability to jump out of the building, I don't see a lot of similarities in their games. However, I'm comparing 2014 DE to 2014 MY. Perhaps, DE's high school game was more like MY's and I just don't have the frame of reference.

Basic man to man should be stressed in practice, but slipping a zone into the mix would be a good idea. Also, I hope we actually practice the press this year. With an abundance of guards, I'd think we could pull out a decent press if needed. Heck, it worked against NCS, and we never practiced it.

Basic man to man should be stressed in practice, but slipping a zone into the mix would be a good idea. Also, I hope we actually practice the press this year. With an abundance of guards, I'd think we could pull out a decent press if needed. Heck, it worked against NCS, and we never practiced it.

And big, long athletic guards that could cause lots of probs with an effective press thrown in from time to time.

Outside of his size and his inability to jump out of the building, I don't see a lot of similarities in their games. However, I'm comparing 2014 DE to 2014 MY. Perhaps, DE's high school game was more like MY's and I just don't have the frame of reference.

MY was much more of a prolific scorer in high school than DE was... DE was known as an outstanding rebounder and defender. During his college career he made himself into an excellent scorer. MY shoots a lot of 3s and has a good looking stroke in his video. He can also get out and score in transition. I don't expect him to post up and score with a lot of back to the basket moves. I think we can expect him to be more of a natural scorer and a better perimeter player than DE. Even though they play the same position, MY seems to be almost the opposite of DE. Rebounding and defense are probably the two areas he will need to work the hardest to develop. I think the one thing they may share in common is that neither overwhelms with athleticism, but rely on being resourceful scorers. The battle for playing time at the 3 will be the most interesting to me. MY, MC and DR.

... Heck, it worked against NCS, and we never practiced it.

The press working for SLU was amazing to see, with an athletic Grandy Glaze covering the inbounds pass, and what looked like a trap in place. I asked fellow fans in our SLU section: "When was the last time you saw SLU win a game with the press." Answer: None of us had any memory of same.

On the Illinois State board they were speculating why MY didn't get around to taking an official visit there - MY's dad was a good player there back in the day. Some speculation/excuses like maybe he didn't want to compete for playing time (at Ill State???) or he didn't want to play in his dad's shadow. Finally, a guy chimed in with an answer which I used to give on this board when we would miss recruits - "Maybe he wants to play for a program that has been to the NCAA Tournament within the last 15 years." It's nice that we are now a program that has that to sell. It seems like the staff has done a good job capitalizing on our recent success. Recruits commit very quickly after visiting. DR, AB, MR and now MY all recent examples. The recruiting process is not dragging on like it used to and we are not regarded as a back-up option for recruits.

DR commits to us early rather than continuing to explore SEC options. MB commits shortly after his visit and cancels his planned visit to Creighton (where his parents attended), MR commits after his visit to LSU. MY commits after an offer from UNLV. In the past, it would seeme we were almost always on the losing end of those recruiting situations. Great job by JC and staff.

I don't think we're going to be complaining about not having big guards and wings for a long time. We'll find new things to complain about. ;)

I was going to make the point about recruiting visits, but you beat me to it. It sure seems like getting a recruit to visit campus is the key. Whatever they are doing over there is working. I don't want to know what it is. I hope they keep their secret formula for recruiting visits secret. Just seems like several guys sign quickly after visiting. Hope they keep it up.

This is the time for the coaches to add a zone defense to our man to man, so that the players who are not as good at man to man can get some paying time. Why have a good scorer on the bench when we need points because he is weak at man to man? It also can help prevent so many drives to the basket. There are good teams that play good man to man but, will go to a zone for a short while to prevent drives, rest a team, protect a player in foul trouble, or to give the opponent a different look just to throw them off, especially after they have called a time out to adjust to the man to man. They don't have to stay in it long. Don't tell me about how strong our defense was last year. There were time when the defense was very weak.

Truth.

I should also add another frame of reference with the All-State team by the Chicago Tribune.

This year:

Milik Yarbrough: 2nd Team

Miles Reynolds: Special Mention

Marcus Bartley: Special Mention

2012:

Keith Carter: First Team

2010:

Mike McCall: 2nd Team

Dwayne Evans: 3rd Team

2008:

Kyle Cassity: Special Mention

Ruben Cotto: Special Mention

2005:

Kevin Lisch: Special Mention

Sooo we're on pace for first teamers..

Truth.

Very true. When you look at how many points the dregs were putting up against us at the end, it was very discouraging as we were all screaming for the stops we were used to getting thru most of the season. They basically went missing. Anyone know where we ended up in Kenpom's D efficiency rating at the end? For most of the season we were in the top 10 I believe and in the top 5 for D against the 3 ball. I'm attributing it to second game familiarity and tired legs. If we had tossed a zone in their, it at least would have caused our opponents to make some adjustments. Also, a zone might have worked well against the bigger teams we faced, eg George Mason who killed us on the inside.