OT- Cuonzo Martin to Cal

If anything is a surprise it's the school he's going to. I'm not at all surprised he wanted to leave Tennessee. Their fans were calling for his head during his entire tenure. They're all still bitter that Pearl is gone.

This is not a good look for Tennessee at all.

Yeah, but Cuonzo was a midwest boy all around .... St. Louis area, Purdue and now Tennessee. I am somewhat surprised. Also heard Masck was in the running for that one as well. After danny Manning bumped him from Wake Forest.

Yeah, but Cuonzo was a midwest boy all around .... St. Louis area, Purdue and now Tennessee. I am somewhat surprised. Also heard Masck was in the running for that one as well. After danny Manning bumped him from Wake Forest.

True. Which only makes Tennessee look worse in this. They never gave him a chance - and then he took them to the Sweet 16 in his third year and bolted

If anything is a surprise it's the school he's going to. I'm not at all surprised he wanted to leave Tennessee. Their fans were calling for his head during his entire tenure. They're all still bitter that Pearl is gone.

This is not a good look for Tennessee at all.

This. See the Deadspin article on his hiring: http://deadspin.com/cuonzo-martin-leaves-tennessee-and-his-players-dont-so-1563539309

And I'd say this doesn't make Marquette look very good, either.

-wow, that seems outside the comfort zone but it appears there was no comfort in Knoxville, either

-UTenn is not looking good at all, I hope they fail for a long time

-is that a real reaction by the recruit to one day say Tenn and the next Cal?

Let's see, I'm a smart successful Black man. I have a career choice to make which involves deciding to live in Knoxville or the Bay area. Let me sleep on that. There I'm awake, California here I come. The black man I put in only because he is black and I would think that would kick it up to super no brainer. Really if you drive a few hours from Berkerly few hours and your in Yosemite, few hours from Knoxville your in Alabama.

Let's see, I'm a smart successful Black man. I have a career choice to make which involves deciding to live in Knoxville or the Bay area. Let me sleep on that. There I'm awake, California here I come. The black man I put in only because he is black and I would think that would kick it up to super no brainer. Really if you drive a few hours from Berkerly few hours and your in Yosemite, few hours from Knoxville your in Alabama.

Pretty much, put my ass on the BEACH, BOOOOIIIIII...

Volunteer = Slave.

Bear = King of the Forest.

Cuonzo was getting the shaft in TN. The cupboard was bare when he walked in and the program was under huge constraints with the sanctions levied on it. When he got out from under them, he gets to the Sweet Sixteen.

I still think he should have done better. Marquette is a much better job than Cal. Cal is almost as stringent as Stanford, with half the prestige. As far as basketball goes its in the bottom tier of Pac 10 school, along with USC, Arizona St and Oregon St.

Cuonzo was getting the shaft in TN. The cupboard was bare when he walked in and the program was under huge constraints with the sanctions levied on it. When he got out from under them, he gets to the Sweet Sixteen.

I still think he should have done better. Marquette is a much better job than Cal. Cal is almost as stringent as Stanford, with half the prestige. As far as basketball goes its in the bottom tier of Pac 10 school, along with USC, Arizona St and Oregon St.

If MU so great why does it hemorrhage coaches since really the Al McGuire days? Most to lower level jobs.

Majerus left for pro asst job and then on to Ball State

Dukiet-fired

O'Neill-Tennessee (at Tenn you are 3rd fiddle behind football and WBB (especially when he coached UT with Yow))

Dean-fired

Crean- Indiana (that was an up grade)

Wiliams- VA Tech (football will always be #1 and a traditional doormat ACC basketball program)

Other then Crean, you were either fired or left for a lower level program. Maybe even with money its not that great of a job.

I'm from Tennessee and although I'm not a major Vol fan, I root for them by default. I am glad that Martin got this opportunity an left, not because I want the team to do poorly, but because the Athletic director and his cronies have done a terrible job at UT and they deserve to learn a lesson like this.

I am certainly not a Cal Bears apologist.

But I have to take issue with some of these claims. Marquette is not "a much better job than Cal." We are talking here about the flagship campus of the University of California, the nation's highest ranked public university per US News & World Report, in the Nation's most populous state by far, nearly 38 million documented, 55 electoral votes in the National Presidential election.

To put this in perspective, no Cal coach has left for Virginia Tech, of all places.

Nor is Cal a "bottom tier" Pac12 school. Cal has had issues but has also had a fairly good basketball program going into its 3rd decade. Plus, Cal was good before John Wooden made UCLA (formerly known as the Southern Branch of the University of California) the West Coast power.

I am certainly not a Cal Bears apologist.

But I have to take issue with some of these claims. Marquette is not "a much better job than Cal." We are talking here about the flagship campus of the University of California, the nation's highest ranked public university per US News & World Report, in the Nation's most populous state by far, nearly 38 million documented, 55 electoral votes in the National Presidential election.

To put this in perspective, no Cal coach has left for Virginia Tech, of all places.

Nor is Cal a "bottom tier" Pac12 school. Cal has had issues but has also had a fairly good basketball program going into its 3rd decade. Plus, Cal was good before John Wooden made UCLA (formerly known as the University of California, Southern Branch) the West Coast power.

99% of people would say Marquette is a much better job than Cal. And it is

Maybe back there, certainly not here.

And I venture to say, not now.

Marquette plays in the non-football New Big East, a start up remnant of the Old Big East that bought the Big East name and rights to Madison Square Garden for its post-season tournament, a league that had miniscule TV ratings in its inaugural voyage, that did not sell out MSG for its post-season tournament, that previously had been standard.

Then the Marquette Coach up and left for Virginia Tech, not exactly the bastion of big time hoops.

In contrast, Cal plays and is a key influential member of the Pac-12, a major football playing conference that has its own Pac-12 Network.

If you went down the street in San Francisco or Berkeley or Los Angeles, and asked where Marquette even is, I wonder if even 50% of those asked would know. I wonder if 25% would know. I am not kidding, and this is not hyperbole.

This is a big country. You folks see what you see. Out here, it is in many ways literally a different world.

As I've often said, many in California do not know what lies East of Reno and West of the Hudson River.

Maybe back there, certainly not here.

And I venture to say, not now.

If you went down the street in San Francisco or Berkeley or Los Angeles, and asked where Marquette even is, I wonder if even 50% of those asked would know. I wonder if 25% would know. I am not kidding, and this is not hyperbole.

This is a big country. You folks see what you see. Out here, it is in many ways literally a different world.

As I've often said, many in California do not know what lies East of Reno and West of the Hudson River.

Well sure, people in California may view Cal as superior. But the basketball world, which is what matters here, views Marquette as a much better job.

Well sure, people in California may view Cal as superior. But the basketball world, which is what matters here, views Marquette as a much better job.

Simple question then: Why did Buzz Williams leave Marquette for Virginia Tech?

You aren't going to tell me that Virginia Tech Basketball is a better job than Cal Basketball too, are you?

It isn't. And at this point in time, neither is Marquette.

People involved in coaching wouldn't. Cal is a great job. Cal pays better money, better conference, better location, better school, better area to recruit, and none of the crazy expectations that come with many similar jobs.

People involved in coaching wouldn't. Cal is a great job. Cal pays better money, better conference, better location, better school, better area to recruit, and none of the crazy expectations that come with many similar jobs.

I won't debate the better school and better location, but the money isn't true.

Montgomery was being paid about half of what Buzz was getting at Marquette.

I'd argue better recruiting ground as well. Marquette has always been able to pull from Chicago. I'd say the Midwest in General is better recruiting ground than Mid California.

I won't debate the better school and better location, but the money isn't true.

Montgomery was being paid about half of what Buzz was getting at Marquette.

I'd argue better recruiting ground as well. Marquette has always been able to pull from Chicago. I'd say the Midwest in General is better recruiting ground than Mid California.

I don't think Buzz was making what was claimed that he was making at Marquette. I don't believe he would have took a $500,000 pay cut to go to VA Tech. Montgomery made $250,000 in base pay last year, he earned a $500,000 retention bonus, and he earned $1.25 million as a talent fee. That totals $2 million and does not include money from camps and clinics or any extra money he received when he signed an extension in 2012.

http://best.berkeley.edu/~aagogino/Budget_Crises/IA/Coaches/Montgomery_2014.pdf