Semi-OT: Calipari's New Book

moytoy12

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10760355/kentucky-wildcats-coach-john-calipari-likens-ncaa-dying-soviet-union-new-book

I trust him to exploit the suggested changes, but can't say his suggestions strike me as repugnant on their face.

Why would coaches like Calipari and others really care what the rules are? They are doing just fine funneling these kids and their famlies money under the current rules.

Actually, hard to argue w/ his suggestions. The stipend's not outrageous even for SLU. As for medical ins, I would have thought most schools already covered their athletes. I mean if a player gets the flu don't the trainers/team doctors take care of him/her free of charge.? Not sure how they'd play a serious illness like cancer.

Actually, hard to argue w/ his suggestions. The stipend's not outrageous even for SLU. As for medical ins, I would have thought most schools already covered their athletes. I mean if a player gets the flu don't the trainers/team doctors take care of him/her free of charge.? Not sure how they'd play a serious illness like cancer.

That was one of the big issues with the NLRB ruling allowing unionization. From my understanding, private universities don't even have to cover medical bills for injuries an athlete may sustain during a team-sanctioned event like practice or a game. Meaning that Kevin Ware could've been left out on his own to pay for his injury, had it not been such a center of attention in the media. I could be wrong, but it sounded very clear from the article on SB nation that this was the case for private institutions.

The NCAA requires universities (all universities) to certify that all of their student-athletes have insurance, whether that insurance be from the school, private, or through the athlete's parents. The policy MUST cover up to $90,000 because that is what is deductible from the NCAA's injury reimbursement insurance fund. Some athletic departments are sh!ttier than others and provide plans with loopholes.

Most of Calipari's ideas are common sense, no $h!t ideas that I've heard before from multiple NCAA critics. Yes, these suggestions are decent (except, in my opinion, the loans against future earnings part), but his wanting to be the poster-boy for these changes is akin to John Gotti wanting to champion improvements to the RICO Act.

Most of Calipari's ideas are common sense, no $h!t ideas that I've heard before from multiple NCAA critics. Yes, these suggestions are decent (except, in my opinion, the loans against future earnings part), but his wanting to be the poster-boy for these changes is akin to John Gotti wanting to champion improvement to the RICO Act.

Agree, nice work!

The NCAA requires universities (all universities) to certify that all of their student-athletes have insurance, whether that insurance be from the school, private, or through the athlete's parents. The policy MUST cover up to $90,000 because that is what is deductible from the NCAA's injury reimbursement insurance fund. Some athletic departments are sh!ttier than others and provide plans with loopholes.

Most of Calipari's ideas are common sense, no $h!t ideas that I've heard before from multiple NCAA critics. Yes, these suggestions are decent (except, in my opinion, the loans against future earnings part), but his wanting to be the poster-boy for these changes is akin to John Gotti wanting to champion improvements to the RICO Act.

Beautiful analogy.