OT: (maybe) Milwaukee Bucks Close to Sold?

JMM28

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand those opinions and think this criticism has some validity. I think some of it has to do with how long a NBA season is and the number of teams that make the playoffs.

I am sticking up for the NBA in this thread, but I enjoy watching the college game more because some of the points you raised.

I agree with this. I prefer college b-ball but like watching the NBA too. I have tried following the Grizzlies since they've been in Memphis and have gone to some games, but it is really hard for me to get into a league without a local team.

I agree with this. I prefer college b-ball but like watching the NBA too. I have tried following the Grizzlies since they've been in Memphis and have gone to some games, but it is really hard for me to get into a league without a local team.

Samer here except the Grizzly part. Go Bulls.

So I watched the Nets vs Heat game tonight. Actually was a decent game. And then, after watching most of the game, I notice that Lebron James' name on his jersey says "King James"... And people wonder why the NBA is often held in low esteem!

So I watched the Nets vs Heat game tonight. Actually was a decent game. And then, after watching most of the game, I notice that Lebron James' name on his jersey says "King James"... And people wonder why the NBA is often held in low esteem!

Ha. Putting nicknames on the jerseys is a new thing they're trying out a few times this year. The names aren't usually like that. (I don't watch the NBA until the second round of the playoffs, FWIW)

Anyone that has a better than average understanding of basketball wouldn't call the NBA a ###### brand of basketball. It may not be for everybody. I understand why some people don't like it, but it isn't ###### basketball. The NBA features the best players, the best shooters, the best defenders, best rebounders, etc..

and this is what i think makes it unlikable for some. they are so good that it seems there is no defense.

Kohl bought the Bucks for less than $20 million. He has no direct heirs. Kohl has a net worth of several hundred million dollars in addition to the value of the Bucks. The team is profitable at this point in time. Kohl has promised to make a "significant" contribution to the new arena, even if he sells the team. There are rumors that he might contribute the profit from his sale of the team towards a new arena as a legacy gift to the community. He has also repeatedly stated that he will not sell the team to anyone who will move it. So, under that backdrop, there are rumors of a sale.

As someone said, Junior Bridgeman is a favorite to be involved. He is one of the 250 richest African-Americans in the US, with an estimated net worth of around $400 million. He is currently part owner of the Kings. Bridgeman got involved with the Kings to help keep them in Sacramento. JB probably can't by the team outright, but it ts rare for a single individual to buy a team nowadays. Most of the time, it is some kind of group. Hence, there are rumors that the owner of the Brewers might be interested. He too has indicated that he might contribute to a new arena. Other names mentioned as potential owners include Oprah, a native or Milwaukee, and Craig Leapold, NHL owner who married into the SC Johnson family. Leapold lives in Racine, just south of Milwaukee.

In view of the foregoing, I am optimistic that the Bucks will not leave Milwaukee.

It must be a generational thing because I hear a lot of people say they prefer the NCAA over the NBA or hate it altogether, but the NBA and its teams are making record profits, constantly expanding globally, and the Finals have set ratings records the last few years, so someone is watching.

I don't doubt the NBA is making a lot of money but I seriously doubt the nba finals have set ratings records in the past few years. Ratings for just about all sports besides the nfl have been going down. Got any proof of these ratings records?

Edit: the following link includes a table showing finals ratings going back to 1977. The current period is nowhere near the numbers from the 90s

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_Nielsen_ratings

I don't doubt the NBA is making a lot of money but I seriously doubt the nba finals have set ratings records in the past few years. Ratings for just about all sports besides the nfl have been going down. Got any proof of these ratings records?

Edit: the following link includes a table showing finals ratings going back to 1977. The current period is nowhere near the numbers from the 90s

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_Nielsen_ratings

I think he meant viewership records, not ratings. Globally more people watching the games than ever before but more Americans tuning in, most years probably not.

The Bucks won't move unless there is some ridiculous stalemate with their arena. Otherwise that market has supported the Bucks well. Chaifetz may very well want to keep it in Milwaukee too, why not he lives in Chicago. Gotta think Milwaukee wants oprah to buy the team though. First time I've heard her name mentioned. She'd have a championship there in no time.

NBA seems to be trying to play up the Bucks a lot lately as well. They are a dreadful team but their Greek rookie has been getting tons of pub in the last few weeks. He's a precocious talent but for all the articles written on him he's still only averaging 6 and 5.

I'm a big NBA fan but my interest multiplies during the playoffs. Regular season is much too long. i don't follow any particular team, but will only watch games with particular players involved. I'd never turn off a Kevin Durant game.

The Greek kid and John Henson are the milwaukee young rising stars and best hooe for a future all star. Thr problem is thst Milwsukee ovrrpaid to keep Ilyasova 2 years and no matter how awful hes been he continues to start and rake minutes from ghem. Their young frontcourt of Ssnders, Henson. Antetokounmpo is the defensive minded, and extrrmely long and athletic. If they csn add a good shooting wing in the draft to place next to Antetokounmpo, they could cault right back into the playoffs. Parker would be ideal, if not him, you cant pass on Wiggins, if they are both gone, you csn take a point guard like Exum or Smart and play Brsndon Knight at shooting bec a use he can shoot it

The Greek kid and John Henson are the milwaukee young rising stars and best hooe for a future all star. Thr problem is thst Milwsukee ovrrpaid to keep Ilyasova 2 years and no matter how awful hes been he continues to start and rake minutes from ghem. Their young frontcourt of Ssnders, Henson. Antetokounmpo is the defensive minded, and extrrmely long and athletic. If they csn add a good shooting wing in the draft to place next to Antetokounmpo, they could cault right back into the playoffs. Parker would be ideal, if not him, you cant pass on Wiggins, if they are both gone, you csn take a point guard like Exum or Smart and play Brsndon Knight at shooting bec a use he can shoot it

This is what happens when you post at 5 am, kids

Not to return back to the NBA/NCAA discussion but the NBA made my point last night. The Lakers lost 130-145. I know Bilas doesn't like the 55-50 score lines, but that is more aggregious

But, but Brian said the NBA has the best defenders! The offenses must just be THAT good.

In all seriousness, obviously the NBA has the best players, but the product is trash. Very little effort in most games, which may occur in other pro leagues but it is way more obvious when it happens in the NBA. There's about a 3 week span in the summer when the best basketball players in the world put out the best product possible. Seeing the level they pay at during the playoffs makes it clear no one gives a in the regular season, and that is why I don't watch until the playoffs

NBA is a boring game. Too many one on one and two man plays. It may be better if Milwaukee had an NBA team.

Listened to Hammond at a private event a couple of weeks ago. Ilyasova has a contract that makes him a trade bait in the final year of his deal. The team can opt out of the contract for $200,000. Hammond thinks he can turn Ilyasova's contract into a first round pick in a couple years from a team needing cap relief. He also said, Exum is not a point, he just thinks he is one. He really liked Randle, but you could tell Parker was his favorite. He was a bit indifferent about the Kansas kids.

As for the rest of the team, Sanders is awful. No court sense on the court, no common sense off the court. Being suspended by the league for the positive dope test is just the lastest screw up. Henson has regressed this year. Don't know why. Not athletic enough for the 4, not strong enough for the 5. I like Giannes, but he has a long way to go. Needs strength.