Austin McBroom

TRN

You lost me when you called AM an idol

Let's put it this way: if somebody told you "Hey, you're awesome. I wish more people were like you.", would you not be grateful? Who cares if he retweets it? He's not trying to form a twitter-dictatorship and mold everybody into an Austin McBroom clone; he's just showing appreciation towards his fans, in a 21st century type of way. I can appreciate your argument for specific tweets, such as "everybody needs to be like AM", but look at it this way: you're a measly little Billiken fan perusing through Twitter when you come across a tear-jerking motivating heart-warming video featuring an idol such as Austin McBroom. You watch the video then share with him your thoughts on the matter, giving him a little appreciation while you're at it. He shares your comment (retweets it) and your day is made because one of your favorite college basketball players shared your profile and thoughts with everybody that follows him. Not only did he take the time to read what you had to say, but he got you all types of good publicity. I don't know how many of you are Twitter-regulars, but speaking from experience, it's very easy to retweet or favorite everything you come by. I have about 8k tweets during my twitter career, and I bet 5.5k of them are retweets. If someone speaks highly of me, I'm going to be grateful of it and do them a favor by giving them some recognition: aka a simple retweet. A retweet is like a big thank you, especially if you're a figure of some type of authority such as Austin McBroom.

You can't tell me that somebody tweeting him, saying - "Austin I really appreciate what you did for that man. That was extremely kind and generous and more people should follow your example." - shouldn't get some type of recognition? Some people appreciate being recognized for their work, and that doesn't necessarily mean they're cocky, doing it for their own good, or not humble. It's just his way of showing appreciation for others' appreciation. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

I understand where you're coming from, and I appreciate a good argument, however I disagree with your viewpoint and that's why I'm continuing this conversation. Some people may publicize because of greed or for personal gain, but in this particular case, you can't take anything bad from it. Come on now. This video couldn't do anything but good, for example, my friend and I decided after watching this video to follow in their footsteps and do the same ourselves. Maybe even taking it one step further by attempting to find employment for our friend-to-be. Austin McBroom was simply trying to make the world a better place...

I see your "no offense intended", but I am taking a little bit of offense from this. I don't typically associate myself with the majority of my generation, which I would agree sucks, but not fair to stereotype like that. That's similar to women saying "All guys are @$$holes." Come on, now... Keep an open-mind, I'd like to think that I'm an alright guy.

I realize that this is also an unlikely generalization. I cannot speak on behalf of everybody that manages a twitter account, but those people with humility and integrity like myself, and from the reputation he has shown to me, Austin McBroom, would fit in the category that provides truth to my prior statement. There are exceptions to every rule, but I believe AM fits in this category.

Just appreciate the man... Excelling on the court, the classroom, AND as a human being. That's what being a Billiken is all about.

P.S. Shout-out to whomever actually takes the time to read all of that, I hope I didn't put that much thought and effort into it for it to be skimmed or ignored hah,

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You lost me when you called AM an idol

I lost you because you're intimidated by a well-written, meaningful statement.

All I have to say is this:

We have players doing good things. Another school in the state has players getting arrested. I'll take the good things from our Billikens.

Definitely the more appealing option of the two. I've been riding high and mighty in comparison to all of my Mizzou-fan friends lately, and it just keeps getting better.

Baffles me how people can find a way to complain about everything. Kids are getting locked up left and right and yet a player makes a video and suddenly he is criticized for fulfilling his own selfish ego? Smdh. The kid did a good deed. McCall retweeted fans after every game yet no one is to point a finger at him for being "prideful." I'm sure Jesus is shaking his fists at Austin this very minute.

Baffles me how people can find a way to complain about everything. Kids are getting locked up left and right and yet a player makes a video and suddenly he is criticized for fulfilling his own selfish ego? Smdh. The kid did a good deed. McCall retweeted fans after every game yet no one is to point a finger at him for being "prideful." I'm sure Jesus is shaking his fists at Austin this very minute.

Sir, spot on. Where have you been all thread? Hah.

Yeah, I don't totally understand it, but retweeting every positive message you get on there seems to be par for the course. It's basically the equivalent of "liking" on Facebook, which I understand a little better than Twitter. I don't think retweeting positive comments from fans/followers means McBroom really thinks he's the second coming of Christ, or that everybody in the world should model themselves after him.

I lost you because you're intimidated by a well-written, meaningful statement.

Definitely the more appealing option of the two. I've been riding high and mighty in comparison to all of my Mizzou-fan friends lately, and it just keeps getting better.

I wasn't that well-written...

Yeah, I don't totally understand it, but retweeting every positive message you get on there seems to be par for the course. It's basically the equivalent of "liking" on Facebook, which I understand a little better than Twitter. I don't think retweeting positive comments from fans/followers means McBroom really thinks he's the second coming of Christ, or that everybody in the world should model themselves after him.

I don't think it makes him a bad guy. I think he is a good guy. It is just an example of a generation that doesn't understand humility at all. They just don't get it because they have grown up in an age that glorifies a lack of humility. Most don't even understand what humility is.

Austin is a different cat and I dig it.

And there's no place I'd rather discuss Twitter etiquette then this board.

Looking forward to the day Austin has a terrible against south Alabama state a&m and we can talk about whether or not he was distracted in the off-season.

Let's be real, this is the kind of talk that ensues in the offseason. Some have nothing else to argue about.

Let's put it this way: if somebody told you "Hey, you're awesome. I wish more people were like you.", would you not be grateful? Who cares if he retweets it? He's not trying to form a twitter-dictatorship and mold everybody into an Austin McBroom clone; he's just showing appreciation towards his fans, in a 21st century type of way. I can appreciate your argument for specific tweets, such as "everybody needs to be like AM", but look at it this way: you're a measly little Billiken fan perusing through Twitter when you come across a tear-jerking motivating heart-warming video featuring an idol such as Austin McBroom. You watch the video then share with him your thoughts on the matter, giving him a little appreciation while you're at it. He shares your comment (retweets it) and your day is made because one of your favorite college basketball players shared your profile and thoughts with everybody that follows him. Not only did he take the time to read what you had to say, but he got you all types of good publicity. I don't know how many of you are Twitter-regulars, but speaking from experience, it's very easy to retweet or favorite everything you come by. I have about 8k tweets during my twitter career, and I bet 5.5k of them are retweets. If someone speaks highly of me, I'm going to be grateful of it and do them a favor by giving them some recognition: aka a simple retweet. A retweet is like a big thank you, especially if you're a figure of some type of authority such as Austin McBroom.

You can't tell me that somebody tweeting him, saying - "Austin I really appreciate what you did for that man. That was extremely kind and generous and more people should follow your example." - shouldn't get some type of recognition? Some people appreciate being recognized for their work, and that doesn't necessarily mean they're cocky, doing it for their own good, or not humble. It's just his way of showing appreciation for others' appreciation. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

I understand where you're coming from, and I appreciate a good argument, however I disagree with your viewpoint and that's why I'm continuing this conversation. Some people may publicize because of greed or for personal gain, but in this particular case, you can't take anything bad from it. Come on now. This video couldn't do anything but good, for example, my friend and I decided after watching this video to follow in their footsteps and do the same ourselves. Maybe even taking it one step further by attempting to find employment for our friend-to-be. Austin McBroom was simply trying to make the world a better place...

I see your "no offense intended", but I am taking a little bit of offense from this. I don't typically associate myself with the majority of my generation, which I would agree sucks, but not fair to stereotype like that. That's similar to women saying "All guys are @$$holes." Come on, now... Keep an open-mind, I'd like to think that I'm an alright guy.

I realize that this is also an unlikely generalization. I cannot speak on behalf of everybody that manages a twitter account, but those people with humility and integrity like myself, and from the reputation he has shown to me, Austin McBroom, would fit in the category that provides truth to my prior statement. There are exceptions to every rule, but I believe AM fits in this category.

Just appreciate the man... Excelling on the court, the classroom, AND as a human being. That's what being a Billiken is all about.

P.S. Shout-out to whomever actually takes the time to read all of that, I hope I didn't put that much thought and effort into it for it to be skimmed or ignored hah,

old guy here, never tweeted no Facebook etc. Very well said on the twitter / your generation thing.

TL,DR

I don't think it makes him a bad guy. I think he is a good guy. It is just an example of a generation that doesn't understand humility at all. They just don't get it because they have grown up in an age that glorifies a lack of humility. Most don't even understand what humility is.

This. McBroom is part of a generation of special snowflakes that has been raised on self-promotion and social media. But, at the end of the day, his actions in this video should inspire all the Billiken pride in the world. Because, like someone else pointed out, the other school in this state has guys getting arrested left and right; we have guys participating in this extraordinary act of kindness and empathy. This should be cause for celebration, not criticism and suspicion.

This. McBroom is part of a generation of special snowflakes that has been raised on self-promotion and social media. But, at the end of the day, his actions in this video should inspire all the Billiken pride in the world. Because, like someone else pointed out, the other school in this state has guys getting arrested left and right; we have guys participating in this extraordinary act of kindness and empathy. This should be cause for celebration, not criticism and suspicion.

I appreciate this argument much more because of the approach. You're on the right side of it, sir.

I got texts today from several people who aren't SLU fans, but saw the McBroom stuff online (and maybe on TV?) and thought it was really cool. So I'd say that proves ABAS right on his main point here.

? No one said what he did wasn't a good thing. But by retweeting all of the stuff he retweeted it makes it look like he did it for the attention, not just to raise awareness

Like I said, it proves ABAS correct on his main point that the deed set a positive example and presented the school/team in a positive light publicly.

I'm not looking to re-open the debate on Twitter etiquette/vanity; just sharing that what ABAS actually said was vindicated by the reaction I got from people who don't follow the team in the slightest but know I do.

Like I said, it proves ABAS correct on his main point that the deed set a positive example and presented the school/team in a positive light publicly.

I'm not looking to re-open the debate on Twitter etiquette/vanity; just sharing that what ABAS actually said was vindicated by the reaction I got from people who don't follow the team in the slightest but know I do.

Clearly it sets a positive example, that was never up for debate. Motives was, though

Just seems like a pointless post then. No one disagreed that it set a positive example. So yeah ABAS' point was correct. So was everyone else who said that the video itself sets a positive example.

Talk about a pointless post...ABAS posts a positive thread about one of our players, you guys try to turn it into something negative by reading into his motivations, and I try to get it back on track by saying that ABAS's original point was absolutely correct. Then you guys try to drag it back into the naysaying, and I'm the one making a pointless post? Pretty silly. It's a good story for the school, and you need to move on and talk about something else if you can't handle that.