Crews on 13-14 Season/Future

moytoy12

I was excited about Grandy when he committed and I agree that he was worth a shot. But it was still a big miss by RM. I don't want to harp on any of the guys, but Grandy just has not been good. Whoever said it a couple months ago was right. He was better when he was bigger and bulky. Ever since he shed weight and tried to use his speed, he's gotten way to fast and out of control.

I really hope Crews doesn't show the same loyalty to the seniors this upcoming season as he did last year. If he does, I think that we won't be very good and I think it'll really stunt the development of guys like Lancona and Agbeko.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When people talk about Top 150 lists, they mean Scout, Rivals, and ESPN. They aren't talking about JoeSchmoeSportsBlog like you're referencing. I get that Rivals once ranked him, but that's not what you're referencing.

Again, if you want Rivals, according to the Las Vegas Sun - "When he first committed, Glaze was ranked as the No. 14 power forward and No. 83 overall prospect in the 2011 class by Rivals.com, but not long after that, he was dropped to No. 138 overall."

This was written in the spring of 2011, shortly after he committed to SLU. And I just provided another source (Clark Francis) regarding him as a Top 100 recruit as late as the summer of 2011.

Again, if you want Rivals, according to the Las Vegas Sun - "When he first committed, Glaze was ranked as the No. 14 power forward and No. 83 overall prospect in the 2011 class by Rivals.com, but not long after that, he was dropped to No. 138 overall."

This was written in the spring of 2011, shortly after he committed to SLU. And I just provided another source (Clark Francis) regarding him as a Top 100 recruit as late as the summer of 2011.

Who the hell is Clark Francis?

Who the hell is Clark Francis?

Clark Francis has been the Editor and Publisher of the Hoop Scoop since 1983 and is widely recognized as one of the foremost authorities on high school basketball and recruiting in the United States.

Francis graduated from Indiana University in 1983 with a degree in journalism, is a member of the prestigious McDonald’s All-American Game Selection Committee, has written a monthly recruiting column for over 20 years for Basketball Times, and also has been published in numerous other places, including USA Today, Blue Ribbon Yearbook, Sporting News, Syracuse Post Standard, and the Cats’ Pause Pre-Season Yearbook.

Francis also has been a valuable source for numerous talk shows, newspapers, and magazines and provides a unique perspective, because he’s been to every NCAA Final Four since 1973, has attended almost all of the superstar oriented shoe company camps since 1983, and is usually ahead of the curve with his perspective and insight.

He also was a pioneer with regards to publishing recruiting information on the internet in the mid-90′s and was one of the first to recognize the importance of getting a head start on the future and keeping track of the top players at an early age.

I was excited about Grandy when he committed and I agree that he was worth a shot. But it was still a big miss by RM. I don't want to harp on any of the guys, but Grandy just has not been good. Whoever said it a couple months ago was right. He was better when he was bigger and bulky. Ever since he shed weight and tried to use his speed, he's gotten way to fast and out of control.

I really hope Crews doesn't show the same loyalty to the seniors this upcoming season as he did last year. If he does, I think that we won't be very good and I think it'll really stunt the development of guys like Lancona and Agbeko.

GG was still the energizer bunny when he was bigger and bulky. GG's problem is that he is only 6'5, he lacks guards skills (dribbling, perimeter shooting, etc.) and he cannot shoot/score outside of 3 feet. This was before he lost the weight as well as after. And recall, even when bulky, he was not any more effective than he is now.

Predictably, there's a lot of talk on here about a "short leash," "lack of consensus," "some reservations," etc., about Coach JC. It's like teacher evaluations ,where a lot of the negativity stands out. I gotta tell ya, I talk to a lot of fans and my feeling is most of them are very pleased and hopeful for the future.

My sense of the "consensus" is this: very, very strong support for JC. What he has accomplished, especially in context of the Coach Majerus death scenario, is just amazing to me. The team could have easily packed it in; I know, I was in contact with some of the players at that time. Recruiting has gone well and the assistants and staff are excellent. We won 19 in a row, reaching the top ten, before running low on gas and getting somewhat exposed offensively. He is a good man, good mentor, and runs a clean program, and goes for pretty good kids who do well in the classroom and the comunity. He also received coach of the year accolades, in case you missed it.

I'm frankly not really sure what the heck some of you guys are looking for, to be honest. Short leash my arse -- talk to some people in the AD. People at SLU are very pleased. Sorry if this is too much of a homer view...

Meanwhile, 2 of the most notoriously dirty programs play for the national title. Maybe some fans want a little more wheeling and dealing, a little more of that Kentucky smoke and mirrors... For me, I'm extremely happy and impressed with where we are--keep it at least fairly real. Go coach JC!

Best post of 2014

I said it. I said that getting leaner and trying to be quicker was not his style. We need a banger, an intimidating presence inside.

I said it was like Richie Incognito losing bulk to get quicker. Not to compare GG to Richie as to Richie's "problems".

I still say GG should add back that bulk / weight and play his previous style. He was strong, took up space, intimidating, effective in his role, got rebounds & put backs, made opponents nervous if they took the ball to the hoop.

He can still help us a LOT next year if he goes back to being GG, we need help like that next year for sure, a lot of unknowns with our bigs.

Clark Francis has been the Editor and Publisher of the Hoop Scoop since 1983 and is widely recognized as one of the foremost authorities on high school basketball and recruiting in the United States.

Francis graduated from Indiana University in 1983 with a degree in journalism, is a member of the prestigious McDonald’s All-American Game Selection Committee, has written a monthly recruiting column for over 20 years for Basketball Times, and also has been published in numerous other places, including USA Today, Blue Ribbon Yearbook, Sporting News, Syracuse Post Standard, and the Cats’ Pause Pre-Season Yearbook.

Francis also has been a valuable source for numerous talk shows, newspapers, and magazines and provides a unique perspective, because he’s been to every NCAA Final Four since 1973, has attended almost all of the superstar oriented shoe company camps since 1983, and is usually ahead of the curve with his perspective and insight.

He also was a pioneer with regards to publishing recruiting information on the internet in the mid-90′s and was one of the first to recognize the importance of getting a head start on the future and keeping track of the top players at an early age.

Clark Francis is also a guy who once wrote about how great a player named Ivan Renko was after Bobby Knight talked about Renko committing to Indiana. The problem was that Renko was a fictional player made up by Knight to show why some recruiting "experts" didn't know much.

Francis graduated from Indiana University in 1983 with a degree in journalism, is a member of the prestigious McDonalds All-American Game Selection Committee, has written a monthly recruiting column for over 20 years for Basketball Times, and also has been published in numerous other places, including USA Today, Blue Ribbon Yearbook, Sporting News, Syracuse Post Standard, and the Cats Pause Pre-Season Yearbook.

Francis also has been a valuable source for numerous talk shows, newspapers, and magazines and provides a unique perspective, because hes been to every NCAA Final Four since 1973, has attended almost all of the superstar oriented shoe company camps since 1983, and is usually ahead of the curve

with his perspective and insight.

Was this post written by Ace or by Clark`s mother?

I said it. I said that getting leaner and trying to be quicker was not his style. We need a banger, an intimidating presence inside.

I said it was like Richie Incognito losing bulk to get quicker. Not to compare GG to Richie as to Richie's "problems".

I still say GG should add back that bulk / weight and play his previous style. He was strong, took up space, intimidating, effective in his role, got rebounds & put backs, made opponents nervous if they took the ball to the hoop.

He can still help us a LOT next year if he goes back to being GG, we need help like that next year for sure, a lot of unknowns with our bigs.

What did we lose from GG this year as compared to last year, statistically speaking?

What did we lose from GG this year as compared to last year, statistically speaking?

+1

I'll answer. Nothing. And again, not sure where this notion got started that GG was this amazing basketball force until he shed some pounds and increased his muscles.