Crews on 13-14 Season/Future

moytoy12

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree Moy. I am not sold on him as a Coach either but he embodies what college athletics should be about.

You guys have lost your mind. The man has done a fantastic job at SLU. He was named coach of the year the last TWO years in the conference and last year he was named national coach of the year by the college coaches--who ought to know who can coach. We are one of only 10 teams to make the NCAA and win at least one game over the past three years--and we did that without even one 5 or 4 star recruit--but Coach Crews and this staff coached them up to the point that we could play with anyone. Our achilles heel was that we did not have any "pure shooters" in our lineup and when we went cold there was nothing the coaches could do about that. I believe that Crews did a fantastic job the past two years and he has a wonderful demeanor and he truly cares about the kids. I think you do him a tremendous disservice in your constant criticism.

You guys have lost your mind. The man has done a fantastic job at SLU. He was named coach of the year the last TWO years in the conference and last year he was named national coach of the year by the college coaches--who ought to know who can coach. We are one of only 10 teams to make the NCAA and win at least one game over the past three years--and we did that without even one 5 or 4 star recruit--but Coach Crews and this staff coached them up to the point that we could play with anyone. Our achilles heel was that we did not have any "pure shooters" in our lineup and when we went cold there was nothing the coaches could do about that. I believe that Crews did a fantastic job the past two years and he has a wonderful demeanor and he truly cares about the kids. I think you do him a tremendous disservice in your constant criticism.

We'll see how Crews does without Majerus' players. Not talking about recruiting rankings. Talking about the way Majerus developed those players in the 2 years that he coached them. Personally I think Crews is going to do a great job going forward, but you can't make any judgments based on the last 2 years.

Its far from "constant" and I have pointed out that I have a great deal of respect for his overall defensive philosophy and the way he handles his players.

I do not care for how he refuses to use timeouts when games are getting out of hand and his obvious lack of adjusting schemes during games (the end of the NC State game notwithstanding)

Why must we all in be in "lock-step" with everything he does to be considered loyal fans?

Settle down, Billikan. It's ok for fans to not buy into a coach's philosophy 100%. It's ok to have objective thoughts/questions. He'll forget more in the next 6 min then I'll ever know about bball, but I think it's fair to ask why JC does "x" or doesn't do "y".

I questioned some of RM's strategies as well. Coaches will always get questioned. It's the nature of fans/ignorance/monday morning QB'ing.

All that being said, I love JC's outlook on life for his players. I love the values he is instilling in them. I couldn't be more proud to have JC as a leader and example for our guys during this period in their lives.

Settle down, Billikan. It's ok for fans to not buy into a coach's philosophy 100%. It's ok to have objective thoughts/questions. He'll forget more in the next 6 min then I'll ever know about bball, but I think it's fair to ask why JC does "x" or doesn't do "y".

I questioned some of RM's strategies as well. Coaches will always get questioned. It's the nature of fans/ignorance/monday morning QB'ing.

All that being said, I love JC's outlook on life for his players. I love the values he is instilling in them. I couldn't be more proud to have JC as a leader and example for our guys during this period in their lives.

Coach Crews seems to talk more about core personal values than about basketball when he mentions this team. That's not a bad thing by any means.

I think next year will tell us a lot about his game coaching. If Coach Crews and the Billikens hear their name called on Selection Sunday (early, not that abortion that happens later), he'll have probably proven a lot of us wrong or at least made us less skeptical.

Not in anyway trying to compare the two, but Frank Haith was named national coach of the year the year before Crews.

Coach Crews seems to talk more about core personal values than about basketball when he mentions this team. That's not a bad thing by any means.

I think next year will tell us a lot about his game coaching. If Coach Crews and the Billikens hear their name called on Selection Sunday (early, not that abortion that happens later), he'll have probably proven a lot of us wrong or at least made us less skeptical.

You believe we should get to the NCAA tournament NEXT YEAR or Crews is a bust? LOL. You will be mighty disappointed next year.. doesn't matter if RM was here or Crews, the shot of us sniffing a bid to the tournament is small and SLU fans better realize that quick or it will be a long long season for some of you.

You believe we should get to the NCAA tournament NEXT YEAR or Crews is a bust? LOL. You will be mighty disappointed next year.. doesn't matter if RM was here or Crews, the shot of us sniffing a bid to the tournament is small and SLU fans better realize that quick or it will be a long long season for some of you.

I could be wrong, but I thought he was saying that if we make the Tourney next year it will silence a lot of doubters whereas if we miss the Tourney, it will leave people skeptical.

Yeah, I believe that SLU should make the NCAA tournament. The days of praying for a bid to the NIT are over.

I didn't say bust at any point.

Let's face it, there are many people still skeptical of Jim Crews and Saint Louis University basketball. He has a great chance to kill some of it forever next season.

One last question: So since we lost a lot of talent we should all take the loser point of view that it will be impossible to compete? Sorry, I'm not buying that.

Remember RM couldn't make the tournament with Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell as seniors and Reed, Conklin, Mitchell and Cassity not to mention a top 100 recruit(big center that transferred to Lindenwood) as freshman. If Crews takes us to the tournament next year he will have a threepeat as coach of the year in the A-10.

Remember RM couldn't make the tournament with Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell as seniors and Reed, Conklin, Mitchell and Cassity not to mention a top 100 recruit(big center that transferred to Lindenwood) as freshman. If Crews takes us to the tournament next year he will have a threepeat as coach of the year in the A-10.

That goes to my point that he can kill off more of the skepticism about Coach Crews. It will be tough, but it's always tough to make the tournament. I wanted to go the hot-shot recruiting assistant route back when he was signed, but he has proven quite a bit. If he takes the next step (winning with his guys), the skepticism will dissipate (at least until he doesn't call a timeout during an opposing run).

I don't expect to make the Tourney next year, but IMO the following year is critical for the program. If we can get back to the Tourney that will be a good sign that what was built can be sustained. I remember back to the year after H/Clag and Highmark graduated - They made the NIT the following year, even though it was quesionable whether they deserved it, and then the year after, the program fell off the cliff, just two years after the height of Spoonball. We can't have that again. If this incoming class can go to three NCAA Tourneys like DE, JJ, RL & co. did, then I would be thrilled.

Not having pure shooters is not why we lost..we need guys who can create their own shots. This past season we had 1 who was hurt towards the end. Shooters are a dime a dozen. Having one or two is enough. Case in point is Dayton...they are not succcessful because they have pure shooters. It is because they have guys that when the shot clock is close can breakdown their defenders and get to the tin or dish it off for a easier shot.

Next seasons team has more of those guys and some pure shooters. If they are good defensively it will be a plus. That is why I am not going to be surprised that we make the tourney again. SLU is on the upswing and talent pool left and coming in will be successful.

Not having pure shooters is not why we lost..we need guys who can create their own shots. This past season we had 1 who was hurt towards the end. Shooters are a dime a dozen. Having one or two is enough. Case in point is Dayton...they are not succcessful because they have pure shooters. It is because they have guys that when the shot clock is close can breakdown their defenders and get to the tin or dish it off for a easier shot.

Next seasons team has more of those guys and some pure shooters. If they are good defensively it will be a plus. That is why I am not going to be surprised that we make the tourney again. SLU is on the upswing and talent pool left and coming in will be successful.

I watched that Dayton game last night and they hit a bunch of wide open threes where the pass lead to the shot. We missed at least 8-10 of those against Louisville. Whether you call it pure shooters or not--Louisville has Hancock--we did not have shooters who could be counted on to make an open 3 if the opportunity presented itself--at least not late in the season except in some short bursts like the few we hit in the comeback against NCState. I actually think our shooters might be better next year, particularly if Austin M can regain his confidence. Lancona and Crawford have a nice release and Ash can shoot as well. The key will be our overall defense which will not be near as good, at least at the start of the year. Also, don't discount John Manning. He has a nice shot from 15 feet and my guess is that he will be more comfortable and stronger as a senior. Also, Jolly is a shooter and the freshman guards all have had their moments as shooters/scorers in their hs careers. I would not predict an NCAA tournament bid but I would bet we will be better at the end of the year than anyone thought we might be and the following year we should be in line to compete for a conference title.

I don't expect to make the Tourney next year, but IMO the following year is critical for the program. If we can get back to the Tourney that will be a good sign that what was built can be sustained. I remember back to the year after H/Clag and Highmark graduated - They made the NIT the following year, even though it was quesionable whether they deserved it, and then the year after, the program fell off the cliff, just two years after the height of Spoonball. We can't have that again. If this incoming class can go to three NCAA Tourneys like DE, JJ, RL & co. did, then I would be thrilled.

To be fair, the next season we had Larry Legend and were back dancing. I agree with your overriding point though, we need to be decent next year but good again the year after when McBroom and Ash are seniors, TL, MC and RA or juniors and the upcoming freshmen are all sophs.

None of are used to having our team be where it is now. the teams that stay at the top level do so by reloading with quality recruits. They may never gel as a team but going in their talent level is higher than all the lower level teams that we are trying to leave behind. With coach we slowly got to where the incoming recruits are actually expected to be good. With the departing seniors class we first had a group that combined with RM's proven ability to mold his players seemed capable of being a top 10 team and that's what has happened. With the freshmen and the upcoming recruits we have now being as good a group as ever talent wise,combined with our usual low SOS and cautious optimism seems quite reasonable.

I watched that Dayton game last night and they hit a bunch of wide open threes where the pass lead to the shot. We missed at least 8-10 of those against Louisville. Whether you call it pure shooters or not--Louisville has Hancock--we did not have shooters who could be counted on to make an open 3 if the opportunity presented itself--at least not late in the season except in some short bursts like the few we hit in the comeback against NCState. I actually think our shooters might be better next year, particularly if Austin M can regain his confidence. Lancona and Crawford have a nice release and Ash can shoot as well. The key will be our overall defense which will not be near as good, at least at the start of the year. Also, don't discount John Manning. He has a nice shot from 15 feet and my guess is that he will be more comfortable and stronger as a senior. Also, Jolly is a shooter and the freshman guards all have had their moments as shooters/scorers in their hs careers. I would not predict an NCAA tournament bid but I would bet we will be better at the end of the year than anyone thought we might be and the following year we should be in line to compete for a conference title.

Not saying Dayton does not have shooters to knock dowwn open looks but a number of shot creators and willing shooters means they will get their offense going irrespective of not shooting the ball well. That would be good for SLU. I am just not confident on basing our success on shooters. We just did not have a strong component of that this season. I am expecting more of that from Ash, RA, MC, Reynolds, and a few others to keep defenses on their toes. Just do not want those SLU dry spells we started to get used to coming back..

I don't expect to make the Tourney next year, but IMO the following year is critical for the program. If we can get back to the Tourney that will be a good sign that what was built can be sustained. I remember back to the year after H/Clag and Highmark graduated - They made the NIT the following year, even though it was quesionable whether they deserved it, and then the year after, the program fell off the cliff, just two years after the height of Spoonball. We can't have that again. If this incoming class can go to three NCAA Tourneys like DE, JJ, RL & co. did, then I would be thrilled.We had o