HS Class of 2014 Updates

Pistol

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread separate from Recruiting 2014 where we could keep tabs on the guys already signed (since they're no longer being recruited). I'm thinking it could be a place for updates on how their seasons are going, but also information like upcoming games that we might be able to see, team rankings, good articles, etc. I'll go ahead and throw all five into this one, but moving forward I won't keep them in a list format, just individual updates. As always, anyone's updates, observations, and information are greatly appreciated.

Marcus Bartley: MacArthur High School, Decatur, IL - PG: 6-4, 175

Bartley is off to a great start this season for the 3-3 MacArthur Generals. He scored 22 in a 62-59 win over Galesburg, going a perfect 12-12 from the FT line (including the ones that gave them a 60-56 edge and sealed the game at 62). Previously, he hit a game-winning layup at the buzzer to beat Decatur West 56-54. He had 15 and 6 assists in a loss to Bloomington. In the consolation title game of the Decatur Turkey Tournament, he scored 18 in an 80-66 win over Eisenhower, apparently scoring most of those points on strong drives to the basket. All indications are that he's the clear team leader and the word "smooth" appears in almost every description of him.

Austin Gillmann: Oakville High School, Oakville, MO - C: 6-11, 210

I'm only seeing one game played so far for Oakville, but Gillmann had an impressive 19 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 blocks. He was 7/8 from the stripe and 50% from the field in a 63-42 win over Summit. The Tigers play at home on Friday against Holt.

Brett Jolly: Blair Academy, Blairstown, NJ - C: 6-10, 215

Blair Academy is 3-0 in the early going. I can't find good stats anywhere, but he appears to have scored 4 in a blowout win to open the season. Blair plays again tonight.

Miles Reynolds: Whitney Young High School, Chicago, IL - G: 6-2, 170

Reynolds is off to a strong start for the loaded Whitney Young Dolphins. He started the season with 25 points in a 62-59 loss to St. John Bosco, who won on a 3 at the buzzer in the marquee game of the Chicago Elite Classic. He had 12 in an 86-55 win over Westinghouse. WY plays again tomorrow in the Geico ESPN HS Basketball Showcase in Minnesota.

Davell Roby: White Station High School, Memphis, TN - G: 6-4, 200

White Station is off to a 5-0 start. Roby is averaging 8.2 PPG so far, but I wouldn't read too much into it. A couple games have been blowouts and he has teammates signed with Florida, Illinois, and Campbell. The Spartans spread out the scoring; no one on the team has scored more than 18 points in a game this season. White Station plays again Friday against Central, and will also be playing in the Bass Pro Tournament January 16-18 in Springfield, MO and the Penny Hardaway Hoopfest in Dyer County, KY (Jan. 25th on ESPNU).

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread separate from Recruiting 2014 where we could keep tabs on the guys already signed (since they're no longer being recruited). I'm thinking it could be a place for updates on how their seasons are going, but also information like upcoming games that we might be able to see, team rankings, good articles, etc. I'll go ahead and throw all five into this one, but moving forward I won't keep them in a list format, just individual updates. As always, anyone's updates, observations, and information are greatly appreciated.

Bartley is off to a great start this season for the 3-3 MacArthur Generals. He scored 22 in a 62-59 win over Galesburg, going a perfect 12-12 from the FT line (including the ones that gave them a 60-56 edge and sealed the game at 62). Previously, he hit a game-winning layup at the buzzer to beat Decatur West 56-54. He had 15 and 6 assists in a loss to Bloomington. In the consolation title game of the Decatur Turkey Tournament, he scored 18 in an 80-66 win over Eisenhower, apparently scoring most of those points on strong drives to the basket. All indications are that he's the clear team leader and the word "smooth" appears in almost every description of him.

I'm only seeing one game played so far for Oakville, but Gillmann had an impressive 19 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 blocks. He was 7/8 from the stripe and 50% from the field in a 63-42 win over Summit. The Tigers play at home on Friday against Holt.

Blair Academy is 3-0 in the early going. I can't find good stats anywhere, but he appears to have scored 4 in a blowout win to open the season. Blair plays again tonight.

Reynolds is off to a strong start for the loaded Whitney Young Dolphins. He started the season with 25 points in a 62-59 loss to St. John Bosco, who won on a 3 at the buzzer in the marquee game of the Chicago Elite Classic. He had 12 in an 86-55 win over Westinghouse. WY plays again tomorrow in the Geico ESPN HS Basketball Showcase in Minnesota.

White Station is off to a 5-0 start. Roby is averaging 8.2 PPG so far, but I wouldn't read too much into it. A couple games have been blowouts and he has teammates signed with Florida, Illinois, and Campbell. The Spartans spread out the scoring; no one on the team has scored more than 18 points in a game this season. White Station plays again Friday against Central, and will also be playing in the Bass Pro Tournament January 16-18 in Springfield, MO and the Penny Hardaway Hoopfest in Dyer County, KY (Jan. 25th on ESPNU).

Thanks much for the updates. I saw the stats for Gillman and it appeared he played just a little more than half of the game. Nice to see that 7 out of 8 from the free throw line. I am happy about the potential of our inside recruits but I am extremely happy with our three guard recruits. They all seem to be big time excellent players and if you add in Ash next year should be fun to watch.

I nominate Pistol as poster of the year. Thanks for all the research you have done - really awesome!!!

Reportedly, Jolly had at least one outstanding game this year in which he scored in double figures and rebounded well. He played well down low with his back to the basket

The game was against Tilton (MA) in which Jolly had 16 points on 6-8 shooting and also brought down 7 rebounds.

Watching this Whitney Young-Apple Valley game on ESPN2. Jones/Okafor the big draw. I like Saint Louis commit Miles Reynolds a lot too.

Miles Reynolds picking up where he left off @ Chicago Elite Classic. Looks like St. Louis Univ recruit will have huge sr yr @ Whitney Young.

Miles Reynolds might be a name to remember. Headed to St. Louis U.

the crews phase is just starting. he is making a team of tall people. basically 6'2 and up + mcboom.

Tall is good. Obviously. But people should realize that if we are recruiting semi under the radar guys that are taller than the average for their position there is probably a reason they are under the radar. Maybe they don't shoot great. Maybe defense is a question mark. Or they aren't particularly strong. Or aren't as athletic.

Part of the reason we were able to get studs like kwamain, McCall, Jett and Evans was that they weren't considered tall enough for the big 10 or other bcs conferences (except for some lower tier big 10 schools).

Personally, I kind of prefer a team of undersized but highly skilled players over a tall, less skilled team. The hope, of course, is that crews has identified a bunch of tall players that have skills that other coaches did not properly identify. Only time will tell.

Tall is good. Obviously. But people should realize that if we are recruiting semi under the radar guys that are taller than the average for their position there is probably a reason they are under the radar. Maybe they don't shoot great. Maybe defense is a question mark. Or they aren't particularly strong. Or aren't as athletic.

Part of the reason we were able to get studs like kwamain, McCall, Jett and Evans was that they weren't considered tall enough for the big 10 or other bcs conferences (except for some lower tier big 10 schools).

Personally, I kind of prefer a team of undersized but highly skilled players over a tall, less skilled team. The hope, of course, is that crews has identified a bunch of tall players that have skills that other coaches did not properly identify. Only time will tell.

Taller players are always better.

I do not get your theme here--these guys were not under the radar--they were offered by well known schools in BCS conferences including LSU, Oklahoma State, Creighton and a bunch of SEC schools. They play on excellent high school teams with outstanding teammates and their AAU teams are among the best in the country. These are fine players who selected SLU as the place they wanted to play ball and get an education. Why do you think we can't recruit top players who as guards also happen to be tall?

I do not get your theme here--these guys were not under the radar--they were offered by well known schools in BCS conferences including LSU, Oklahoma State, Creighton and a bunch of SEC schools. They play on excellent high school teams with outstanding teammates and their AAU teams are among the best in the country. These are fine players who selected SLU as the place they wanted to play ball and get an education. Why do you think we can't recruit top players who as guards also happen to be tall?

I hesitate to even respond to this because inevitably it will sound like I'm down on our recruits and I'm not trying to be, but there are holes in what you just posted.

For example, despite what verbal commits website might say, I highly doubt Bartley still had an offer from OSU when he committed to SLU. You simply don't have a list of MVC teams, Creighton, SLU and then a school like OSU.

Playing on good highschool or AAU teams means little. Its nice to have good teammates and play difficult competition but there are advantages to being the best player on your team too. Facing the other team's best defender, getting double teamed, taking the last shot in every game, those are nice qualities too. We all loved the fact that Crawford dominated his highschool season last year. How do I compare the 30 he averaged in small town ball to the 8.2 Roby is averaging for a really good Memphis team? I don't know that one is necessarily better than the other.

I watched Reynolds last night. I saw a very smooth and athletic player that got most of his points driving to the basket or at the FT line. He did hit 2 threes but they were wide open (the type of wide open you never get in college) and he missed a bunch of others. Based on my one game of GOSEETHEKIDPLAY I'd say his strengths are his size, athleticism and smoothness while his current weaknesses are shooting and defense.

As to your last sentence: the players that can shoot, are athletic, play good defense and are sufficiently tall are typically ranked in the top 100 or so. Our recruits are not and seldom have been top 100 quality. There are going to be weaknesses in each of these guys and since height is not one of them, its probably fair to ask what are those weaknesses. Hopefully that doesn't offend those that want to believe every recruit we've signed is perfect.