OT: NIT vs. March Madness

Bills By 40

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head:

SLU got a 4 seed, got the A10 autobid, beat 13 seed NMSU (WAC champion) then lost to Pac 12 autobid Oregon.

VCU got a 5 seed, don't remember who they beat as the 12 seed, then got blown out by 4 seed Michigan.

Butler got a 6 seed, beat 11 seed Bucknell then lost to 3 seed Marquette.

Temple got a 9 seed, don't remember who the 8 seed was that they beat, then they took 1 seed Indiana down to the wire but lost.

La Salle got a 13 seed, I recall they were the very last team to be named during the selection show. They played in the opening round and won, then beat 4 seed K-State and then beat someone else to make the S16, before losing to Wichita State.

Mi$$ou was an 8/9 seed lost to Colorado St in the first round.

The Final Four was Wichita St, Louisville, Syracuse, and Michigan. Syracuse beat Indiana to get there, and Indiana players looked like they had never seen a zone before.

Almost forgot, Florida Gulf Coast dunked all over Georgetown and San Diego State to become the first 15 seed to make the S16.

I remember all this but the only thing I remembered about the NIT was Kentucky losing to Robert Morris.

Lasalle beat Boise State in the play-in game.

this "troll" will be sitting in Sect 219 on Thursday night for the 8th time this season. I will also be attending the Belmont - SIUE game this evening, because that's what I have done for the last 25 years, go to a lot of NCAA basketball games.

If you don't like what I have to say, then don't respond.

even if you actually do go to the game, you're still a huge troll. did you just create this account to have a contrary viewpoint to everyone else? seems like it.

NCAA first round over NIT title every time. if missing the tournament satisfies you, i guess i can understand the other point of view. i prefer not to win the loser's bracket though.

I agree with the people saying NCAA, but I think it's closer than some people think.

I can see the advantages that a deep NIT run would have for a young team, but then again, if that same young team is good enough to make the NCAA tournament while they're still young, they must be pretty darn good to begin with (barring a fluke conference tournament championship run).

To me, the visibility/publicity alone garnered by an NCAA appearance trumps any benefits gained from an NIT run.

I created this account because I have been following the Bills more closely this year. I bring more than just 3 years of perspective to all things related to the NCAA and post-season tournaments. I've been to some of the hollowed grounds of NCAA basketball like Allen, Hinkel, Gallager-Iba, Cameron, Pauley, Roberts and the Pit, and the big arenas like the Carrier and Dean domes. I've been to at least a dozen Sweet 16 DH's in STL, KC, Indy, Lexington, San Jose, LA, New Orleans, Atlanta and Minneapolis. I went to the Billiken's home games at the old Kiel Center for the NIT in 89 and 90.

If you consider me a troll for my answer to the question, then I will consider you to be a shill for the media to think that only your answer is the correct one. I didn't realize the NIT was so far beneath SLU basketball. If that's the case, then take down those banners at Chaifetz. I will tell you, though, that next year it very well could be a good alternative for the Billikens, as they will likely be one of the bubble teams who could benefit down the road in 16 or 17 with a nice run in the 15 NIT tournament.

I created this account because I have been following the Bills more closely this year. I bring more than just 3 years of perspective to all things related to the NCAA and post-season tournaments. I've been to some of the hollowed grounds of NCAA basketball like Allen, Hinkel, Gallager-Iba, Cameron, Pauley, and the Pit, and the big arenas like the Carrier and Dean domes. I've been to at least a dozen Sweet 16 DH's in STL, KC, Indy, Lexington, San Jose, LA, New Orleans, Atlanta and Minneapolis. I went to the Billiken's home games at the old Kiel Center for the NIT in 89 and 90.

If you consider me a troll for my answer to the question, then I will consider you to be a shill for the media to think that only your answer is the correct one. I didn't realize the NIT was so far beneath SLU basketball. If that's the case, then take down those banners at Chaifetz. I will tell you, though, that next year it very well could be a good alternative for the Billikens, as they will likely be one of the bubble teams who could benefit down the road in 16 or 17 with a nice run in the 15 NIT tournament.

As much as I hope next years team can surprise us and make the dance, I would agree that the NIT would be beneficial for the following years, JBR

I created this account because I have been following the Bills more closely this year. I bring more than just 3 years of perspective to all things related to the NCAA and post-season tournaments. I've been to some of the hollowed grounds of NCAA basketball like Allen, Hinkel, Gallager-Iba, Cameron, Pauley, Roberts and the Pit, and the big arenas like the Carrier and Dean domes. I've been to at least a dozen Sweet 16 DH's in STL, KC, Indy, Lexington, San Jose, LA, New Orleans, Atlanta and Minneapolis. I went to the Billiken's home games at the old Kiel Center for the NIT in 89 and 90.

Row and seat number for Thursday? Let me know ASAP so I can block you on here going forward. See you at the game though.

Cool you've been to a lot of basketball games. You're now an expert on SLU basketball. And yes, please take down the NIT banners at Chaifetz.

Recruits don't give a ###### about the NIT. They want to see your name on the bracket come tournament time.

Both are equally beneficial to your team. Being treated like royality, being on the big stage, seeing your name on every NCAA tournament bracket and then losing in the first round. Huge motivation. Playing a couple extra games against decent competition and winning the NIT. Again good motivation and good to get in a couple extra practices. But the what the NCAA does for your school and program is drastically better than the NIT.

Also you're the perfect troll. Ignoring what other people admit. No one here has denied that being in the NIT can be beneficial to you. Yet you keep trying to play that card. Everyone else agrees though that the NCAA is better.

I find this sentence interesting. It would have been easy to put Mizzou in the first half, yet you didn't. You did know Kentucky for the second half.

I challenge you to name just 10 of the 15 at-large NCAA selections to lose in the first round of 2013 NCAA's, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP. ( I mention at-large because those are really the teams that are comparable to this option.)

What's your point? MY point is that no one cares about the NIT in terms of publicity. Trying to even argue that point is futile.

Kentucky only got publicity because of how pathetic their loss was. I'm not going to waste my time naming all of the ncaa tourney teams. We all can probably make a decent list on this board without looking.

The CBI team could have realized a benefit from the N(ot) I(nvited) Tournament. That was a young team who would been able to get extra practice time together.

In that sense, the NIT can be used as a building block...but most fans I know would rather play for the big prize than be #69.

Nice job trying to move the goal posts. No one said the NIT was so far beneath SLU. You stated earlier that in some cases it is better to play deep into the NIT than lose in the first round of NCAA tournament.

That is never the case. It doesn't matter what kind of team you have. It is always better to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament even if you are a young team. You better prepare yourself for the next tournament by playing in the tournament. Nothing can prepare a young player better for everything they will have to deal with surrounding the NCAA tournament than the NCAA tournament. The strange shoot around times, the media crush, the excitement on campus, how to deal with ticket requests, playing in a building with bad shooting backgrounds, time management, etc..

The CBI team could have realized a benefit from the N(ot) I(nvited) Tournament. That was a young team who would been able to get extra practice time together.

In that sense, the NIT can be used as a building block...but most fans I know would rather play for the big prize than be #69.

The big man wanted the NIT. Settled for CBI only they agreed to the Bills playing in their Anaheim and KC preseason tournaments.

The big man wanted the NIT. Settled for CBI only they agreed to the Bills playing in their Anaheim and KC preseason tournaments.

It was nice too that we were able to play at home throughout until the final. Of course, I don't think we had a choice between the NIT and CBI. We didn't get invited to the NIT and you're not allowed to turn down an invite.

Was that the year Dayton won the NIT?

Let's end this w/ a hypo. If next year SLU, a young team, is the 68th team, ie a play in game, how happy would everyone on here be if they turned it down and said, " no we'd rather play in the NIT for the possibility of more games. " ? I'll vote very unhappy. Look getting a dance invite is a reward for a good season, the NIT is a concession for those not good enough.

It was nice too that we were able to play at home throughout until the final. Of course, I don't think we had a choice between the NIT and CBI. We didn't get invited to the NIT and you're not allowed to turn down an invite.

Was that the year Dayton won the NIT?

Yes. After SLU beat Dayton twice, SVU got the NIT bid.

Yes. After SLU beat Dayton twice, SVU got the NIT bid.

And didn't we finish ahead of Rhode Island, who also got an NIT bid?

Perhaps a more reasonable discussion to have would be whether it's better to lose in the first round of the NIT or the last round of the CBI.

Victories over the College of Charleston, Boston University and Saint Louis in the CBI last season were key building blocks for the team that eventually lost to Butler in a national semifinal.

"We were still getting to know each other," Smart said before the Final Four. "When we played in that tournament, it gave us a phenomenal opportunity to continue building and learning and playing a lot of our young guys."

While the CBI isn't the NCAA tournament, it is an extra two weeks of tournament basketball and, more important, an extra two weeks of practice.

spacer1.gifJOEYRODRIGUEZ250_414USPW.JPGspacer1.gifGuard Joey Rodriguez helped VCU go from CBI champion to the Final Four.

Football coaches often say one of the reasons they like the bowl system is the extra practice opportunities. Basketball coaches feel the same way about the NIT, CBI and CollegeInsider.com tournaments.

Victories over the College of Charleston, Boston University and Saint Louis in the CBI last season were key building blocks for the team that eventually lost to Butler in a national semifinal.

"We were still getting to know each other," Smart said before the Final Four. "When we played in that tournament, it gave us a phenomenal opportunity to continue building and learning and playing a lot of our young guys."

While the CBI isn't the NCAA tournament, it is an extra two weeks of tournament basketball and, more important, an extra two weeks of practice.

spacer1.gifJOEYRODRIGUEZ250_414USPW.JPGspacer1.gifGuard Joey Rodriguez helped VCU go from CBI champion to the Final Four.

Football coaches often say one of the reasons they like the bowl system is the extra practice opportunities. Basketball coaches feel the same way about the NIT, CBI and CollegeInsider.com tournaments.

So advancing in march madness doesnt count as extra practice?