OT: SLUH COACH

3Bill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many SLUH alum do we have on this board? I'll bet there's a bunch. count off...

The old man, class of '60, went to his 50th reunion recently. The 5 years I was there and a freshman at SLU, from '57 to '61 we never finished worse than 3rd in Class L. The '58 team was undefeated, the '61 team beat Bill Bradley's Crystal City team for the State Championship. They were 2nd once and 3rd twice in those years too. SLUH dominated under coach Emmit Hannick back then. I saw the new Danis Field House at the reunion, as well as the rest of the campus. Those were great days.

The old man, class of '60, went to his 50th reunion recently. The 5 years I was there and a freshman at SLU, from '57 to '61 we never finished worse than 3rd in Class L. The '58 team was undefeated, the '61 team beat Bill Bradley's Crystal City team for the State Championship. They were 2nd once and 3rd twice in those years too. SLUH dominated under coach Emmit Hannick back then. I saw the new Danis Field House at the reunion, as well as the rest of the campus. Those were great days.

Ah yes, I remember those days, decades before I was born - back when SLUH was good at sports.

Ah yes, I remember those days, decades before I was born - back when SLUH was good at sports.

Kid, that's back when high school basketball was "legit".

Now, certain schools - you know the ones - miraculously find inner city athletes that would under previous circumstances NEVER get into those schools and give them free rides.

Too many SLUH weenies on this board. Not enough claiming the great THS Rocks, wonder of Kentucky sports. Ahh, those great St. X games!

Ummm ... The only St X students I know of in STL were those I encountered daily on West Pine. They didn't seem to include many bigs.

Not only in hoops, the 1960 football team had a defense that named themselves "the Hungry Huns". They were undefeated, untied & UNSCORED UPON through the first 5 games that year until the CBC game. The Cadets scored the first TD of the season on us and of course their fans went crazy. We were all stunned until John Mahoney ran back the next kickoff for a TD. They shut up and we went crazy. We won 33-7. The last game of the year was at Assumption in the mud after an all day & night cold rain that wound up 0-0. Final record 7-0-1

Moose Kause, ND AD spoke at our awards dinner. 3 linemen went to play for the Irish from that team, Anton, Simon & Videmschek. There were a lot of other great players on that team too of course who were at the reunion.

I hated you guys back then, but after playing on the SLU frosh team with Garry Garrison & Jerry Strange in '61 we became friends and I realized you were not so bad after all. I had a lot of CBC friends all through my 4 years at SLU.

I hated you guys back then, but after playing on the SLU frosh team with Garry Garrison & Jerry Strange in '61 we became friends and I realized you were not so bad after all. I had a lot of CBC friends all through my 4 years at SLU.

yeah SLU really brings those MCC hatreds to an end. some of my best friends are SLUH and DeSmet alums. In fact, I'm going over to a DeSmet alums house to watch today.

I'm assuming it's because of his contract. It's not like Texas HS football up here, and the coaches are almost always teachers, as well. I'm sure the school had to wait until his contract reached its end and then said they wouldn't be renewing it. My understanding- someone correct me if I'm wrong- is that they sign a separate coaching contract and teaching contract. It takes something big to fire someone before the contract is up. In this case, he's staying around as a teacher.

Normally that is true.

Kid, that's back when high school basketball was "legit".

Now, certain schools - you know the ones - miraculously find inner city athletes that would under previous circumstances NEVER get into those schools and give them free rides.

Wow, it only toook one post for you to chime in with something racist. Nice work.

He was polishing his quiz bowl trophy as he typed that.

:lol:

The MCC as MB73 remembers it:

Posted Image

What MB thinks the MCC is now:

Posted Image

EDIT: I forgot that in MB's world, the top guys are paying for the bottom ones to go to school...somehow.

My last comment on the 50's at SLUH. I pulled out my "60 yearbook to get the football info correct. As good as the FB & BB teams were, the BEST TEAM those years were the rifle team. Fr. Hagan let anyone try out. I did once and wasn't a bad shot. I earned my expert marksman badge a few years later in the USMC. But I wasn't good enough for Hagan's deadeyes, they almost never missed the bullseye. The other best athlete in my class was Nelson "Bo" Burton, who led the bowling team, turned pro, and is in the HOF. We also had Harry Kohler in our class, a National Champion baton twirler as a freshman. He wowed us all at pep rallies and games with his tricks. We had a great time back then. I tell friends today that I spent 8 years in high school, living at home with my parents and 2 younger brothers, going from a Jr. Bill to a Billiken. I guess I turned out OK in the end. So far, so good.

My last comment on the 50's at SLUH. I pulled out my "60 yearbook to get the football info correct. As good as the FB & BB teams were, the BEST TEAM those years were the rifle team. Fr. Hagan let anyone try out. I did once and wasn't a bad shot. I earned my expert marksman badge a few years later in the USMC. But I wasn't good enough for Hagan's deadeyes, they almost never missed the bullseye. The other best athlete in my class was Nelson "Bo" Burton, who led the bowling team, turned pro, and is in the HOF. We also had Harry Kohler in our class, a National Champion baton twirler as a freshman. He wowed us all at pep rallies and games with his tricks. We had a great time back then. I tell friends today that I spent 8 years in high school, living at home with my parents and 2 younger brothers, going from a Jr. Bill to a Billiken. I guess I turned out OK in the end. So far, so good.

My buddy is the rifle coach there now. They're still doing really well. Too bad there aren't more local programs to compete with.

Something that always amazed me was how Fr. Hagan would ride his bike everywhere at a maximum speed of 1/2 mph and somehow never tip over or appear to lose his balance. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I ever even saw him move his feet on the pedals. It was almost like he was floating everywhere he went.