Larry Hughes Basketball Earnings

HoosierPal

I just heard Chris Carrawell on the radio. He said Duke, Syracuse and SLU were his final three. Obviously it worked out pretty well for him, but it confirms that SLU was a serious contender, which I have heard fans of other local programs try to debunk. He said he really liked Spoon and gave SLU very strong consideration. He said that if Jahidi White had gone to SLU or transferred back to SLU, he and Loren Woods would have definitely gone to SLU. He said he "wouldn't have been able to turn down Spoon." Wow!

Losing out on all of the Cardinal Ritter kids was definitely a bitter pill to take. Jahidi basically came down to G-town and us and went with John Thompson and his history of developing bigs. He committed the fall before our breakout 93-94 year and you have to believe that if he had been a year later we would have landed him given the explosion of Spoonball. We were never that close to getting Woods from my recollection but Chris was also a painful one to lose. Chris had a very good 4 year career and I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

A lot of younger Billiken fans don't remember/know about these near misses which is why I get so annoyed when they comment that it would simply be great to be in the top 3 of Tatum even if he goes elsewhere. No it wouldn't! It sucks big time. It sucks more than being told early in the process by David Lee and Beal that they aren't interested.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrawell was then asked if he would be interested in the SLU head coaching job down the line. He is currently an assistant. He said that he grew up a SLU fan and still follows the program. He spoke highly of the A-10. He was very impressive on the air. If he is a rising star as an assistant, he could be somebody to keep an eye on down the road.

Carrawell is an assistant at Marquette. He was teammates with Coach Wojo. I believe he was an assistant in the D-NBA before this gig.

Carrawell is an assistant at Marquette. He was teammates with Coach Wojo. I believe he was an assistant in the D-NBA before this gig.

Carrawell spent 3 years with Springfield Armor in the D-League as an assistant. Helped Willie Reed grow up in the D-League.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/3/31/4167002/armor-coach-bob-mackinnon-on-kris-joseph-willie-reed-toko-shengelia

Armor Coach Bob MacKinnon On Willie Reed - 3/31/13

We're really proud of what Willie's done, and the professionalism more than anything he's gained this season. He's a guy who if he's not the youngest guy in the league, he's one of the three youngest guys in our league and has been all year. He came in, didn't understand the work ethic, the day-to-day professionalism needed and I think he's learned a lot and I'm really proud of the fact that if you look at some of our players last year - Jeff Foote not really on anybody's NBA radar and he was an NBA call-up; Willie Reed, not on anyone's NBA radar and now has put himself in that position. And for our big guys, I think it's a great testament to what our assistant, Chris Carrawell, does with our big people and the mentorship he provides to those guys.

A lot of younger Billiken fans don't remember/know about these near misses which is why I get so annoyed when they comment that it would simply be great to be in the top 3 of Tatum even if he goes elsewhere. No it wouldn't! It sucks big time. It sucks more than being told early in the process by David Lee and Beal that they aren't interested.

I wasn't around for those years, but can imagine that it sucked. I had no idea that SLU was in the top 2 for Jahidi White until this morning when I read that. Being in the top 3 means nothing. Except that in 20 years when Tatum is retiring from the league, one person can start a post on this board that says "Young SLU fans won't remember, but Tatum was down to Duke and SLU but chose Duke, imagine what could have been with Tatum and X,Y, and Z players."

Sounds like fun.

Would love to see Chris Carrawell as a Billiken assistant. Absolute class act.

Assistants of Cheaney and Carrawell....nice.

And just think, a squad of Carrawell and Cheaney at forwards, with Crews and Bronson walking up the ball, and Danny Brown on the boards, likely could take on any five of our scholarship players and give them a solid game!

Pat Kennedy convinced Quentin Richardson to come to Depaul in 1998 and Andre Brown in 2000. An incredible recruiting coup that exposed Kennedy's inability to coach elite talent and put him on the first bus to Palookaville. Now how Kennedy was able to lock down the Public High league over a three year period, who can say?

I feel fortunate as a hometown basketball fan to have gotten Larry for that one year. For us to pull it off again would be like lightning striking twice.

The legitimate concerns for Jayson going to a blue blood school have already been stated.

The legitimate concern for Jayson coming to SLU is who will be his teammates - Larry came with Baniak, Tatum and Heinrich, Spoon was an exceptional communicator (even if he may have been lazy/burned out as a recruiter) to seal the deal and the glory days of Claggs, H and Highmark were still fresh. While the memories of our recent NCAA Tourneys is still fresh, this year can sure make all that seem like a distant memory. In short, we will need a good enough group of teammates or his one (1) year or his time at SLU will not be good. The rest of this season is huge for us. If MB and DR continues to develop at the guard position, if MY continues/improves his game, if RA and AG start contributing an inside game, then Jayson's opinion of SLU will be better by the time he makes his choice in November. Personally, I believe that our Frosh will make great strides this summer and that Neufeld will make an impact next year but game results won't be known until AFTER Jayson makes his decision -- hence this year is important for him and the other locals in our program. Then again, maybe this year's clunker of a season will give the green light to Jayson and the other locals to come in to the program and start immediately -- maybe we are back to selling immediate playing time to the local kids.

The legitimate concerns for Jayson going to a blue blood school have already been stated.

The legitimate concern for Jayson coming to SLU is who will be his teammates - Larry came with Baniak, Tatum and Heinrich, Spoon was an exceptional communicator (even if he may have been lazy/burned out as a recruiter) to seal the deal and the glory days of Claggs, H and Highmark were still fresh. While the memories of our recent NCAA Tourneys is still fresh, this year can sure make all that seem like a distant memory. In short, we will need a good enough group of teammates or his one (1) year or his time at SLU will not be good. The rest of this season is huge for us. If MB and DR continues to develop at the guard position, if MY continues/improves his game, if RA and AG start contributing an inside game, then Jayson's opinion of SLU will be better by the time he makes his choice in November. Personally, I believe that our Frosh will make great strides this summer and that Neufeld will make an impact next year but game results won't be known until AFTER Jayson makes his decision -- hence this year is important for him and the other locals in our program. Then again, maybe this year's clunker of a season will give the green light to Jayson and the other locals to come in to the program and start immediately -- maybe we are back to selling immediate playing time to the local kids.

That is alot of marbles to balance.

I still recall JT saying in an interview last summer that it would be good for the city if he stayed as it would show those who follow him you don't necessarily have to go big time to be big. He should know that the buzz around SLU and St.Louis would be huge if he stayed at home, versus going to a UK, Duke, or UNC where he's just another ho hum Mickey D All American. I still believe these 5 stars treat their selection like genius kids treat the Ivies. It's status, ie I'm going to UK, Duke, etc. That means they are in the elite of the elite and is an ego booster for them. Whereas if they choose a SLU, his peers will roll their eyes and look at him like he just took a huge dumb pill. It would take a special kid to say, who cares what you guys think. Hopefully, JT is that special.

It would be good for SLU if he did come but in term of his future earnings potential would SLU be looked at as a risky move? When LH did it, he did not have the full force of the internet/social networking juggernaut to deal with. Between Facebook, Twitter, and Istagram there is enough talk there to destroy anyone. I say he ends up taking the safe route that he is expected to take to protect his stock for the draft when he gets there. Just a thought...but who knows the future. Would be a nice move if he said yes to SLU.

The point isn't really whether he'll make more or less in future NBA earnings by coming to SLU; the point is that choosing SLU for his one-and-done year is not a hindrance to potential future NBA earnings. For the most part, Jayson is the master of his own destiny when it comes time to making NBA money in the long run. The second contract is the big one. The question these top kids have to ask now is more in regards to the first contract - i.e. How will my school choice affect my draft position, which affects guaranteed money out of the chute for the first few seasons.

It's a fair question but one that can be argued a number of ways. Kentucky has positioned itself as a quasi farm system for the NBA draft, where the top players can go spend a year or two or (gasp!) three, with the knowledge that they're given a full slate of resources to make themselves the most exposed, attractive, NBA-ready players on draft day. Recruits have to measure whether they want to be part of that system, be part of another top-flight program, or be "The Man" for a year or two at a program one tier down.

Which is where SLU and Hughes come in. He was the National Freshman Player of the Year, averaging 20.9 PPG and unquestionably being handed the keys to the program for a season. Would he have pulled that off as a member of a top-ranked incoming class elsewhere? Would he have pulled that off playing behind more established junior or senior stars somewhere? Probably not, but it's hard to say how that affects draft position, which isn't based on stats. NBA scouts find the best talent, period.

Of course, this was all first pointed out by a very astute poster on January 7th: http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24410&page=68

Which is where SLU and Hughes come in. He was the National Freshman Player of the Year, averaging 20.9 PPG and unquestionably being handed the keys to the program for a season. Would he have pulled that off as a member of a top-ranked incoming class elsewhere? Would he have pulled that off playing behind more established junior or senior stars somewhere? Probably not, but it's hard to say how that affects draft position, which isn't based on stats. NBA scouts find the best talent, period.

If Hughes went to Kentucky instead of SLU, he may not have been such a stand out and may not have averaged over 20, but one thing we do know is he would have a Championship ring. Every kid wants to win and if they have an opportunity to make a legitimate run at a title, they will most likely seize that opportunity.

If Hughes went to Kentucky instead of SLU, he may not have been such a stand out and may not have averaged over 20, but one thing we do know is he would have a Championship ring. Every kid wants to win and if they have an opportunity to make a legitimate run at a title, they will most likely seize that opportunity.

I think most would rather have the money. He wouldn't have been drafted in the Top 10 after his freshman season had he gone to UK. He got drafted higher and made more money by coming to SLU. He single-handedly elevated a mediocre (to put it kindly) supporting cast into the second round of the Tourney. That's more impressive than being one of many standout players on a team. He was able to showcase every part of his game, because SLU did not have a lot of great options out on the court.

YES! That is why FBJT decides to stay for his sophomore year!

Larry Hughes is probably not the best comparison for Jayson Tatum (with regards to draft stock). Jayson is the #1 rated recruit in a loaded class and considered a surefire top of the draft prospect. Outside of a rule forcing him to go to college, he likely would not be making this decision and would be a top of the draft guy if he could go pro next summer. He will be drafted highly in the 2017 NBA Draft regardless of which of his final 10 schools he chooses. So NBA Draft stock really should not be part of the decision. The kid will be a star wherever he goes.

I think the question he will need to answer is whether he wants to spend 6 months playing for an elite program and with all that comes with it (top notch facilities, every game on national tv, joining an alumni of NBA stars, etc.) or stay home and be a hometown hero playing in the A-10. Most elite recruits go with the former.

SLU offers him a unique opportunity and he is well aware.

Honest question, if you were in his shoes would you even consider SLU?

When this is all done I would be really interested in knowing how many posts on this board were related to Jayson Tatum.