free throws

papal

This is not about our free throw shooting which obviously needs to improve. It is about having players in the lane when we are shooting free throws. I thought Crews and the coaching staff did a great job of preparing for vcu. The freshman keep improving. Kudos to the coaching staff. Having said that, we were down 1 point with about 7.3 seconds and shooting 2 free throws. We missed the first. Wehad only ONE player in the lane for the second . There were 3 possible scenarios. 1) we miss the free throw-they get the rebound, We obviously need to foul as soon as possible-easier with 2 players in the lane; 2) we miss and get the rebound-much easier with 2 rebounders in the lane;3) we make the free throw (which we did); then we are in easier position to play defense slowing down the play, or (in retrospect) calling time out to prepare to defend to prevent what happened in the next 7.1 seconds

Treveon Graham is an A10 POY contender and made an acrobatic play against a double team.

Tip your cap and move on.

Ash got beat and Manning failed to block the shot. In other news Ash is not Jordair Jett and Manning is not Anthony Davis.

The strategy was sound, the execution was lacking.

There is no need to try to put blame on the staff or players for yesterday's defeat. Based on everything we saw all season we should have lost by a lot. The game plan was solid and overall it was excuted well.

I have been as down as anyone on this team and I hate moral victories. That said, there was a lot to like about yesterday's game.

I admit I misread and thought the original poster meant 2 guys in the lane defending our basket.

While I generally give Crews the benefit of the doubt on his unconventional philosophy regarding offensive FT attempts, Roby should have been the 2nd man there opposite Yarbrough with Ash at the line down 1.

Roby only had 3 fouls, and his assigned man for the final play (Weber) was on the low block next to the empty spot.

It might have been a lapse on Roby's part, as you can see on the replay Crews is talking to Roby, as if to say "Get down there for this rebound" right as Ash was getting the ball. Granted out of a timeout you'd have thought that detail would have already been covered.

I agree - we should have had 2 on the lane for the potential rebound. That made no sense to me what he did yesterday and honestly for other games. I also thought they should have met the VCU players on the winning basket at the half court line at least. Make them eat up some time even a second could have altered the shot their guy took.

Regarding Graham's game winner, as I listened to the game live, hearing Rammer's call made me think the Bills played matador defense and Graham had an uncontested layup. But then I watched the replay, and that was a rather acrobatic shot by an all-conference first-teamer against pretty good defense. It was no direct layup, and he had to shoot from an odd angle. It was a heck of a basket.

Jett's basket against UMass for the championship (am I remembering that correctly?) was more of a layup than Graham's shot.

It was an acrobatic shot, but still ugly defense. It was such a solid game all around (especially defensively) for the first 39 minutes, it's tough not to be a little disappointed in that play and maybe even moreso the wide open three that led up to it.

Yeah, Burgess was WIDE open (as Jimbo might say, more wide open than....)! It appear that no one was guarding him. It was either a missed assignment, a lack of rotation, or a conscious decision to avoid shots by Weber or Graham while "disrespecting" Burgess.

At that point of the game, Burgess was 0-for-3 and ha dmisse dhis last three somewhat badly. Do I want him to shoot it? Absolutely. Better him than Graham, Johnson, Weber and even Brooks. He hit it. And we did not hit ours (free throws even). Great game. We didn't so much lose as we ran out of time.

At that point of the game, Burgess was 0-for-3 and ha dmisse dhis last three somewhat badly. Do I want him to shoot it? Absolutely. Better him than Graham, Johnson, Weber and even Brooks. He hit it. And we did not hit ours (free throws even). Great game. We didn't so much lose as we ran out of time.

Don't care if he was a CE 0-15... You never want someone THAT wide-open shooting. Unless it's JB.