Students: tickets for Friday?

gobillsgo

The problem with this post is that it makes the assumption that students would buy in advance (and then in turn be obligated). They would simply not buy them in the beginning bc it is too much of commitment to make so far in advance.

I think there should be enough students there for VCU tonight. Recruiting students to go to the games goes right up until about an hour til tip off....I like that they offer flexibility for the apathetic student. I was a die hard back in 2005 and even I felt nervous to buy any type of ticket in advance...."I must remain unfettered"

I was a die hard 91 through 95. The student section was nearly filled with students who purchased their tickets prior to the season. If you couldn't go, you gave your ticket to another student who was glad to use it.

I'm not saying we were any better than any other era. I'm just saying during that time students didn't have any problem making this commitment. It was the culture on campus at the time. There was always buzz when the applications went out all the way up to the time of the deadline to turn them in.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a die hard 91 through 95. The student section was nearly filled with students who purchased their tickets prior to the season. If you couldn't go, you gave your ticket to another student who was glad to use it.

I'm not saying we were any better than any other era. I'm just saying during that time students didn't have any problem making this commitment. It was the culture on campus at the time. There was always buzz when the applications went out all the way up to the time of the deadline to turn them in.

Student section was a ghostland when I got on campus in '06. Has improved as the team has, substantially, and have been impressed on some of the turnouts this season as others have noted.

Former student here during the Majerus/Crews era:

For those who aren't familiar, student tickets aren't "free" a few years back the students approved a $30 per year fee to provide 1000 tickets to students every game. Before that student tickets were $10/game or $130 per season. A combination of better teams and cheaper tickets HAS dramatically improved attendance. Generally, those tickets are first-come first-serve, but for big games where the AD knows the section will be full and it may be near a sellout, they pre-distribute student tickets so as to not have to deal with a line and having too many students show up. While students could get tickets and then not go, that doesn't generally seem to be the case. For pre-distributed games, the section is always overflowing. In fact, I believe distributing tickets raises student attendance by creating a sense of scarcity and marketing the game earlier in the week.

Last night, since it wasn't a sellout, I they let students come on their own and it looked like they used the overflow seating above the student section.

cgeldmacher - Usually tickets are either not distributed or are distributed 2/3 days before a game. Also, as for the current section being AWFUL, I seem to remember a lot of discussions a few years ago stating that during down years, there were only 10-20 students showing up at Scottrade.

In the era where I had student tickets ('91-'96), I am willing to admit that Billiken basketball (Spoonball) was the in thing to be doing in St. Louis. SLU was putting 15K to 20K in the Kiel/Savvis Center during these years. The student section was packed nearly every game with students that had to pay for season tickets in advance of the season and take the Metrolink to the game. I'm not taking credit for any of this. I was just a student enjoying the team at that time.

Flash forward to present day. We have made the tournament for three consecutive years for the first time in the program's history, won our conference title twice in a row, and are one of the few teams to win games in the NCAA tournament in each of the past three years. You mention bad student sections during the lean years. I'm talking about having to bribe students with pizza to show up during some of the best years of the program. Then those students come into Chaifetz with bellies full of free pizza and DO NOTHING. Can somebody please stand up and wave their arms when the other team is shooting a foul shot? I stand by my "AWEFUL" description of the current student sections until they prove to me otherwise. Such proof has been nowhere to be found this season.

In the era where I had student tickets ('91-'96), I am willing to admit that Billiken basketball (Spoonball) was the in thing to be doing in St. Louis. SLU was putting 15K to 20K in the Kiel/Savvis Center during these years. The student section was packed nearly every game with students that had to pay for season tickets in advance of the season and take the Metrolink to the game. I'm not taking credit for any of this. I was just a student enjoying the team at that time.

Flash forward to present day. We have made the tournament for three consecutive years for the first time in the program's history, won our conference title twice in a row, and are one of the few teams to win games in the NCAA tournament in each of the past three years. You mention bad student sections during the lean years. I'm talking about having to bribe students with pizza to show up during some of the best years of the program. Then those students come into Chaifetz with bellies full of free pizza and DO NOTHING. Can somebody please stand up and wave their arms when the other team is shooting a foul shot? I stand by my "AWEFUL" description of the current student sections until they prove to me otherwise. Such proof has been nowhere to be found this season.

Were you at the VCU game?

Those were good times, with students even camping out at the Arena to get tickets when the moment they became available.

I stand by my "AWEFUL" description of the current student sections until they prove to me otherwise. Such proof has been nowhere to be found this season.

As in you are full of awe at how good they are?

-10 seconds left in first half

Thanks Cowboy.

I watched it on the DVR about 3 times and even with slowing it down, I didn't see anything. In fact I got to hand it to JeQuan Lewis on how fast he got out the student section. Also he had absolutely no emotion on his face.

Its just your typical VCU bellyaching we get every time we play them. These sorry sacks cannot even win gracefully. No class.

I think the students have been fine this year, save for the idiot(s) who shoved an opposing player.

Any dipsh1t who pulls something like that should be banned for the season.

Its just your typical VCU bellyaching we get every time we play them. These sorry sacks cannot even win gracefully. No class.

Yes yes...the fanbase the shoves opposing players is going to say the fanbase that complains about their players being shoved have no class...

Yeah, the guy wearing the $4,000 suit is holding the elevator for the guy who doesn't make that in four months...COME ON!