Students: tickets for Friday?

gobillsgo

I am suddenly seeing the source of the student section apathy/patheticness. I have two major problems with what I am hearing:

1. Students get free tickets

2. The free tickets are distributed very near the time or date of the game

I'm going to sound like a cranky old man for what I type next (I guess I actually am at this point). My era was the Spoonball days. During this time, student section tickets were at a premium. One student section ticket for the entire season cost something like $25.00 or $40.00. I can't exactly remember. You could get up to four seats together. Well before the season, after everyone had put in their application for tickets and paid, there was a lottery system to decide who got the best seats. Two years while I was at SLU, my group got such a good lottery number that we sat in the 2nd row. The other years, we ended up at the top of the student section. Because you paid for your tickets and because you actually chose them, you felt an obligation to go to the games despite the fact that you had to walk down Grand and catch the Metrolink to get downtown. Students who didn't get season tickets could get single game tickets for like $5.00 a piece, but they were always sitting behind everyone who had season tickets.

The policy of handing out free tickets right before games explains a lot. First of all, how many students can just sit around and wait to see if something better comes up at the last minute. They have no obligation. Also, there would appear to be no guarantee that the most dedicated student fans are getting the seats closest to the court. Most games where the students section is actually filled up, I see the first several rows sitting on their hands most of the game.

If this is correct, about the student section seats being handed out free at the last minute, I blame the athletic department's poor policy on ruining the atmosphere in the student section.

This doesn't excuse the students. If you are a student who gets on Billikens.com, please understand that compared the student sections of the past, your era is AWEFUL. The students in the student section appear to not want to be bothered by something like waving their arms around when the other team takes a foul shot. Walk across the arena some time in the second half and watch the other team take a foul shot. The student section gets shamed (or should feel shamed) by the fact that one side of the shooters view (the band) is making an attempt to distract while the other side (the students) are not. Many times, I look over and half the student section is on their phones. I find myself wondering how many actually know the score at any given moment.

If I have anything wrong about the ticket policy, let me know.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am suddenly seeing the source of the student section apathy/patheticness. I have two major problems with what I am hearing:

I'm going to sound like a cranky old man for what I type next (I guess I actually am at this point). My era was the Spoonball days. During this time, student section tickets were at a premium. One student section ticket for the entire season cost something like $25.00 or $40.00. I can't exactly remember. You could get up to four seats together. Well before the season, after everyone had put in their application for tickets and paid, there was a lottery system to decide who got the best seats. Two years while I was at SLU, my group got such a good lottery number that we sat in the 2nd row. The other years, we ended up at the top of the student section. Because you paid for your tickets and because you actually chose them, you felt an obligation to go to the games despite the fact that you had to walk down Grand and catch the Metrolink to get downtown. Students who didn't get season tickets could get single game tickets for like $5.00 a piece, but they were always sitting behind everyone who had season tickets.

The policy of handing out free tickets right before games explains a lot. First of all, how many students can just sit around and wait to see if something better comes up at the last minute. They have no obligation. Also, there would appear to be no guarantee that the most dedicated student fans are getting the seats closest to the court. Most games where the students section is actually filled up, I see the first several rows sitting on their hands most of the game.

If this is correct, about the student section seats being handed out free at the last minute, I blame the athletic department's poor policy on ruining the atmosphere in the student section.

This doesn't excuse the students. If you are a student who gets on Billikens.com, please understand that compared the student sections of the past, your era is AWEFUL. The students in the student section appear to not want to be bothered by something like waving their arms around when the other team takes a foul shot. Walk across the arena some time in the second half and watch the other team take a foul shot. The student section gets shamed (or should feel shamed) by the fact that one side of the shooters view (the band) is making an attempt to distract while the other side (the students) are not. Many times, I look over and half the student section is on their phones. I find myself wondering how many actually know the score at any given moment.

The problem is that the best (most enthusiastic) students don't always get the best seats. Some schools use a point system (I think Steve mentioned this in another thread when talking about GW) where the students that show up to the most games get the best seats. I have no idea why SLU doesn't do something akin to this... Instead you have a bunch of unenthusiastic students showing up early to get free stuff, and they are always seated in the front rows, while much more enthusiastic students are forced to sit in the back. If you aren't going crazy or cheering your butt off, you have no business sitting near the front IMHO.

Because people here have no school spirit. People at other schools would die to have free tickets, or even just to SEE A GAME. It's hard to get tix at Cameron and IU and UK I imagine. The students don't know how good they have it

The problem with this post is that it makes the assumption that students would buy in advance (and then in turn be obligated). They would simply not buy them in the beginning bc it is too much of commitment to make so far in advance.

I think there should be enough students there for VCU tonight. Recruiting students to go to the games goes right up until about an hour til tip off....I like that they offer flexibility for the apathetic student. I was a die hard back in 2005 and even I felt nervous to buy any type of ticket in advance...."I must remain unfettered"

The problem with offering free pizza and stuff is that when you don't, people won't show up.

SLU students suck anyway. My guess is that if you asked 100 SLU students who the best player on this year's team was, you'd get the following:

55% - McBroom

25% - Jett

10% - #4

5% - Smith

3% - Glaze

2% - Yarbrough

The problem with offering free pizza and stuff is that when you don't, people won't show up.

SLU students suck anyway. My guess is that if you asked 100 SLU students who the best player on this year's team was, you'd get the following:

55% - McBroom

25% - Jett

10% - #4

5% - Smith

3% - Glaze

2% - Yarbrough

I think about 5% (mostly female) would answer: "We have a basketball team?" with a scrunched up confused face.

55% - McBroom

25% - Jett

10% - #4

5% - Smith

3% - Glaze

2% - Yarbrough

Glaze is too low, and I would imagine Ellis would still get 1 or 2 votes.

Former student here during the Majerus/Crews era:

For those who aren't familiar, student tickets aren't "free" a few years back the students approved a $30 per year fee to provide 1000 tickets to students every game. Before that student tickets were $10/game or $130 per season. A combination of better teams and cheaper tickets HAS dramatically improved attendance. Generally, those tickets are first-come first-serve, but for big games where the AD knows the section will be full and it may be near a sellout, they pre-distribute student tickets so as to not have to deal with a line and having too many students show up. While students could get tickets and then not go, that doesn't generally seem to be the case. For pre-distributed games, the section is always overflowing. In fact, I believe distributing tickets raises student attendance by creating a sense of scarcity and marketing the game earlier in the week.

Last night, since it wasn't a sellout, I they let students come on their own and it looked like they used the overflow seating above the student section.

cgeldmacher - Usually tickets are either not distributed or are distributed 2/3 days before a game. Also, as for the current section being AWFUL, I seem to remember a lot of discussions a few years ago stating that during down years, there were only 10-20 students showing up at Scottrade.

55% - McBroom

25% - Jett

10% - #4

5% - Smith

3% - Glaze

2% - Yarbrough

ho ho.

that being said i was impressed by SB last night. Seemed like lot more than usual and enthused. Seems like attendance is on the upswing. Should be some fun players to watch. Maybe it's second hand cool aid but i do think the future looks bright.

Last night, since it wasn't a sellout, I they let students come on their own and it looked like they used the overflow seating above the student section.

The thing is, they sell "young alumni" season tickets in that section, but still consider it nothing more than "overflow" when they actually have an excess of students who decide they want to come. That is the biggest thing that bugs me about the new ticket policy. I don't like having to kick kids out of my seats after they have been told specifically to go and sit up there by the AD or whoever it is directing traffic down in the actual student section. The AD certainly knows we are sitting up there every game. They could at least make it clear to the students when they direct them up there that there ARE in fact some seats in that section that are claimed on an every-game basis. The kids get up there and get pissed because they expect it to be a free-for-all just like the student section.

The thing is, they sell "young alumni" season tickets in that section, but still consider it nothing more than "overflow" when they actually have an excess of students who decide they want to come. That is the biggest thing that bugs me about the new ticket policy. I don't like having to kick kids out of my seats after they have been told specifically to go and sit up there by the AD or whoever it is directing traffic down in the actual student section. The AD certainly knows we are sitting up there every game. They could at least make it clear to the students when they direct them up there that there ARE in fact some seats in that section that are claimed on an every-game basis. The kids get up there and get pissed because they expect it to be a free-for-all just like the student section.

Yup. Weird that they would sell season tickets there knowing they use if for overflow. When they do give out paper tickets, I believe the ones above have actual seat numbers on them, but I'd assume the students don't notice/care. Last night was probably worse than usual without paper tickets.

VCU fans are freaking out about this apparent shove from a SLU student

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/F9982ABE681170859567219961856_30010323344.1.5.9448517581945501336.mp4?versionId=nl6KEzyYNJZ2aTPnsIHTj4orjY3ZAIx5

Discussion starts here

http://forums.vcuramnation.com/threads/the-official-beat-the-slu-bills-in-st-louis-thread.14449/page-63

Some comments from them

Kinda funny he just started running after getting pushed. .. like, Cool, thanks for the jumpstart bro!
One SLU knucklehead. Great to see JQ keeping his composure and restraining himself from going Ron Artest on the idiot.
Their fans will get a very warm welcome when they come back to the STU. A 15 point loss, and a long drive back home.
F them. Losers.
That's just friggin insane. Friggin thugs. SLU should be taking a close look at this, now that the evidence is right out in the open. Geez, I think they need a jail under that arena like they have for the Raiders and Eagles home games. Huge props to Q for not even turning his head.
That video should be sent to both the A10 and the SLU AD. Someone tweet it to them.
Someone please do. Yes, it may have been considered a "little" thing, but large things are based on established precedent, and that verged on assault. Punks need to keep their hands to themselves. And their AD needs to ban whoever that was. Thanks to our fans for not doing stuff like this.
That kind of behavior from a fan can result in retaliation that could lead to a bench clearing brawl with players going into the stands. The A10 and SLU need to at least have to comment on it and that kid shouldn't be allowed back at games.
Posted along with others to the A10 page. No room for this crap in the game. I suspect nothing will become of it though. The A10 wouldn't want any negative exposure...
JQ's lack of a response is admirable; two wrongs don't make a right. However, the one wrong in this case needs to be addressed by SLU's AD. You can't let a fan do this, celebrate it with a high-five, and do nothing to them. A lack of a response by SLU's AD is in effect a condonement of such action by fans.

-was there contact with or from a fan? yes, no question, possibly two

-was the fan giving the player a boost to get back to the game or a shove which is something very different? that is unknown

-the only possible reaction from their bench was one guy stood, not sure if in reaction to the contact with the fan or to give high 5 for the effort

-if that happened to one our our players in an opposing student section some on here would be going crazy, too

-most of all, the VCU player doesn't turn around so PERHAPS he is being told "good hustle", but no reaction from him is first, a tribute to him and second perhaps a signal of an over reaction on their board

-protecting their own, I can see it

Is there actually any proof this took place or just someone saying it did?

It sure looks to me like someone in the student section shoves or punches him. He leaps the board, goes around the guy standing in the blue shirt, and then there's a lot of motion directed toward his back, but then he gets lost in the crowd heading toward the sideline to get back in.