VCU over the Bills by 17

The Wiz

There's no such thing as a curse, I like to call it "ish happens". Whatever happens is gonna happen regardless. VCU is better for it because they have young talent and a great coach who knows how to get them good minutes. So whatever happens after VCU destroys SLU Tuesday, happens.

Get ready to face the Bills tomorrow! We can chat after....

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Shaka has said we were clearly the class of the league the last two years. Will really suck for VCU fans if they fail yet again to win an A-10 championship. Zero titles in four chances so far. If they don't win this year they can clearly point to the injuries as the cause, but still, it proves how much tougher it is to win titles in a league like the A-10 than in a league like the CAA.

You were better two years ago. We would've beaten SFA or Louisville with a healthy Melvin Johnson.

You would have never beaten Louisville. First, it would not have happened. Second, the NCAA would have never allowed it to happen.

You lost to Stephen F. Austin of the Low Con Southland Conference.

You run a gimmick system, easily beaten by a good coach with decent players. Your team is very pedestrian when forced to play the half court game.

Our freshmen this year have made some dumb mistakes, but none quite so dumb as contesting a three point shot at the buzzer while holding a four-point lead. They engineered a way to lose that game. Impressive in its own way.

Directly after missing FTs to seal it. I'm not sure even VCU could give up a 5 point play .

You were better two years ago. We would've beaten SFA or Louisville with a healthy Melvin Johnson.

Wait, I thought we weren't even that good the last 2 years? Let me get this straight: SLU wasn't that good 2 years ago, but SLU was better than VCU. How bad was VCU that season then?

I would say VCU was the better team last year by a decent magin, SLU was slightly better in 2012-2013, and SLU was better by a decent margin in 2011-2012.

I do think playing a gimmick system can be really smart for a non elite program. VCU wouldn't likely beat traditional basketball powers for recruits under normal circumstances, but with their havoc system they are able to narrow the type of player they target based on the kids that have the physical attributes to succeed in their system and they have an exciting system to sell these recruits who may also be targeted by programs in the traditional power conferences. Not a bad strategy in my opinion. Ultimately it typically comes down to which team has the best players and they have really elevated the talent level they are bringing in. Sometimes having a gimmick at least gives you a chance recruiting against programs with a higher profile.

Our freshmen this year have made some dumb mistakes, but none quite so dumb as contesting a three point shot at the buzzer while holding a four-point lead. They engineered a way to lose that game. Impressive in its own way.

-something to look forward to??

-we have fouled 3 point shooters too often this season and once is too often and we are way past that number

It's funny you guys' only comeback about VCU is always the false statement that our system is a gimmick. We barely pressed during the Final Four run with less talent than today and we did fine. Our recent losses besides the Richmond game are only because of injuries. Many teams have forced us into a half-court game and we won, including UNI and URI. Google VCU's offensive and defensive efficiency rankings for this season. By the way, Shaka comes from the Pitino and Donovan coaching tree, coaches that have won titles running the press. It's Shaka's turn. Peace, until you're back at the top of the conference again.

I would say VCU was the better team last year by a decent magin, SLU was slightly better in 2012-2013, and SLU was better by a decent margin in 2011-2012.

VCU was not better last year under any standard that matters. SLU won a conference title and a game in the tournament. VCU won neither.

I am all about looking at the advanced stats like BPI, kempom, etc., but those are supposed to be predictive metrics, not what you strive to excel in for their own sake. The games that are actually played is what matters, and SLU was better in each of the first two years the teams spent in the same conference. 2011-12 is actually the one year on that list when VCU accomplished more than SLU, but an A-10 team vs. a CAA team is an apples to oranges comparison. I doubt that VCU team would've won the title or even finished second in the A-10 that year.

-something to look forward to??

-we have fouled 3 point shooters too often this season and once is too often and we are way past that number

Agree, fouling on any three point attempt is dumb. But fouling in that scenario is just incomprehensibly, boneheadedly dumb. Funny that the VCU fans cry and moan about the call. The point is that there was no need or earthly reason to even contest the shot. The only thing that accomplishes is give the ref a chance to blow the whistle on you. Our guys are just plain bad this year, but they have not done anything so incomprehensibly stupid as that.

It's not a gimmick because of what it is. It's a gimmick because the team where's "HAVOC" on their warm ups. As far as I know, Pitino hasn't named his press.

Exactly. Such a douchey move. Maybe the Bills teams of the last three years should've worn warmups with "BBQ sauce" on the back in big letters in tribute to Majerus' hallmark man-to-man defense.