Recruiting - 2016

Well there was this one guy named Larry.........

Perhaps I should have narrowed my question a little. In the last decade and a half, how many One-and-Doners have gone to smaller programs? Recruiting was a completely different animal when Hughes and Odom were being pursued. Furthermore, high schoolers could jump straight to the NBA back then so players of that ilk never even bothered to play a year in college. My overall point was that the reason why one-and-done players haven't been hurt by the programs of their choosing is because they choose larger, proven programs.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I should have narrowed my question a little. In the last decade and a half, how many One-and-Doners have gone to smaller programs? Recruiting was a completely different animal when Hughes and Odom were being pursued. Furthermore, high schoolers could jump straight to the NBA back then so players of that ilk never even bothered to play a year in college. My overall point was that the reason why one-and-done players haven't been hurt by the programs of their choosing is because they choose larger, proven programs.

what's your definition or the math for a "decade and a half"? seems to me the examples given i.e. hughes, odom etc were in the last decade and a half.

Memphis is a major program, especially during the Calipari years

Memphis BECAME a major program because Calipari was able to convince one and dones to come to his program in a NON Major conference

Anthony Bennett is going to go in the top 15 tonight. I guess it just depends on if you consider UNLV a major program.

• 2 weeks later...

Memphis BECAME a major program because Calipari was able to convince one and dones to come to his program in a NON Major conference

Memphis was a major program before Calapari. Two Final Four appearances, one shot at the National Titles. According to wikipedia about 20 guys drafted.

Calapari secured his coaching style at a school with enough history to enable him to get the recruits that he did.

That being said, I am not not vouching for or against the statement 5 star recruits only go to major programs.

I just looked through the last decade of rivals top150 list. Of the top 10-12 prospects every year I found about 2 that I would consider going to a non bcs/major program. Those were Anthony bennett and Tony Mitchell. Everyone else went to a bcs program or Memphis and a few gonzagas were in there.

I'm not saying it isn't possible we get tatum, I'm saying it will be incredibly difficult. And moving up to a major conference like the beast and getting a couple ncaa runs will help out chances an insane amount

By the time Tatum is a senior he may very well be the #1 player in the country. If he went to SLU it would be unprecedented for any non-major program. Lets just hope his dad isnt offered a new tractor

By the time Tatum is a senior he may very well be the #1 player in the country. If he went to SLU it would be unprecedented for any non-major program. Lets just hope his dad isnt offered a new tractor

I'd be more concerned with his dad being offered a new job, unless its with us.

We should have Justin Tatum on staff. Ironically, I would say that even if he didn't have a top 5 nationally ranked player/ son. Tatum would be the perfect assistant coach

We should have Justin Tatum on staff. Ironically, I would say that even if he didn't have a top 5 nationally ranked player/ son. Tatum would be the perfect assistant coach

I agree with having Tatum on staff regardless of what his son chooses to do.

That has been my thought regarding Justin Tatum -- regardless of Jayson -- and Jamall Walker for some time, but the current powers-that-be don't want to shake things up. We'll have to root for Jim Whitesell, Jim Platt, or Tanner Bronson to move on (or up) in order to open up a spot for any Billikens alumni (besides Danny Brown). And even then we don't know whether Jim Crews would have someone else in mind before Tatum or Walker.

That has been my thought regarding Justin Tatum -- regardless of Jayson -- and Jamall Walker for some time, but the current powers-that-be don't want to shake things up. We'll have to root for Jim Whitesell, Jim Platt, or Tanner Bronson to move on (or up) in order to open up a spot for any Billikens alumni (besides Danny Brown). And even then we don't know whether Jim Crews would have someone else in mind before Tatum or Walker.

Justin Tatum was also a massive as a player at SLU, so that likely does not help his cause. Having a son that is an elite prospect certainly does.

Justin Tatum was also a massive ###### as a player at SLU, so that likely does not help his cause. Having a son that is an elite prospect certainly does.

Everyone matures and loses some of that college age cluelessness. From everything I hear Justin has really done an nice job as a coach although he does have the reputation of pushing his players very hard to play the right way and get better. This year at CBC should be interesting.

Justin Tatum was also a massive ###### as a player at SLU, so that likely does not help his cause. Having a son that is an elite prospect certainly does.

Tatum gets a bad rap. It was always rumored he didn't get along with Romar. Look what tatum went through though, NCAA clearinghouse issues, losing a huge chunk of eligibilty, never gets to play with Hughes. Then since he lost all that time he's stuck behind an inferior player in Baniak most of his career. By all accounts he and Romar are on good terms, if they ever were on bad terms and Tatum is a helluva HS coach. Not sure if he is college material though. Pining for Walker, he's on staff at a big 10 school. Why would he come here?

Tatum gets a bad rap. It was always rumored he didn't get along with Romar. Look what tatum went through though, NCAA clearinghouse issues, losing a huge chunk of eligibilty, never gets to play with Hughes. Then since he lost all that time he's stuck behind an inferior player in Baniak most of his career. By all accounts he and Romar are on good terms, if they ever were on bad terms and Tatum is a helluva HS coach. Not sure if he is college material though. Pining for Walker, he's on staff at a big 10 school. Why would he come here?

Baniak may have been one of the most impressive, impact Freshmen who brought so much hope and optimism. While he played well and contributed for four (4) years, I certainly expected his Junior and Senior years would have been even better than they were. Maybe his mind was on medical school... maybe he simply hit a ceiling based upon his talents... but even so, you're wrong, Baniak was much better than Tatum.