when bruce weber gets fired next month

billiken_roy

Weber caved to the booster pressure to recruit these high profile Chicago types. They didn't fit his system, and it led to his downfall. He will be successful at a mid major type school.

Weber should have parachuted out of there and into a mid major job last offseason, similar to Greg McDermott.

Also - I don't see how Stevens winds up at Illinois. I think Shaka Smart is the favorite to go there.

Any chance Bruce webber will end up as another asst on our bench? Could help recruiting and he is the kind of asst who would sound like a potential successor.

That thought crossed my mind. I am not sure we will have a successor in waiting. RM seems like he enjoys what he is doing and may continue for several more years. We certainly could do worse than Weber. I'm impressed by anybody who can win at Methdale. That hellhole is not an easy place to have success at. Not sure Weber would want to go back there. I don't think Weber will land a BCS head coaching job and any mid major head coaching opportunities he may have, might not offer the potential SLU will. I expect RM will have things set up for his successor to have long-term success, so that could appeal to Weber and he is a Midwestern guy. Plus, Weber is still very popular with the all important local media. Weber may not be a good fit coaching highly rated, overhyped players. Maybe Griffey's dad can come back to our boad and weigh in. Weber might be better suited at a mid major where he takes blue-collar types and overachievers and helps coach them up. Our own Tony Young played for Weber. It's probably a long-shot, but maybe something to look into. Another possibility could be looking into one of Weber's assistants.

Why would Berry want to go to IL as it would be a program in transition. Not saying SLU but there would seem to be better options out there.

The Berry family is enamored with Coach Stevens. If he went to Illinois and there was room for Nolan, I can't see him turning it down. As KShoe said, the ship on Nolan Berry sailed some time ago.

As far as another assistant goes, we will almost certainly need to replace Crews. I'd think someone younger would add good balance to the staff. I've always the idea of a Corey Frazier or Jason Tatum type but it seems as if that's not likely. Perhaps Tony Young could get the call-up from Graduate Assistant.

The Berry family is enamored with Coach Stevens. If he went to Illinois and there was room for Nolan, I can't see him turning it down. As KShoe said, the ship on Nolan Berry sailed some time ago.

As far as another assistant goes, we will almost certainly need to replace Crews. I'd think someone younger would add good balance to the staff. I've always the idea of a Corey Frazier or Jason Tatum type but it seems as if that's not likely. Perhaps Tony Young could get the call-up from Graduate Assistant.

I don't see Tony Young moving up, but I fully support Frazier or Tatum being involved in the program in some capacity.

It will be interesting to see who replaces Crews. According to Roy, there is no way Coach Harry is ready; he doesn't even know american geography.

-there was talk some years ago about hugh hefner wanting to donate some money to illinois to upgrade bball facilities, did either happen? is a new coach going to demand facilities upgrade? i have no idea the state of their facilities just asking

The Ubben Basketball Complex opened in 1998 and Assembly Hall was renovated in 1999. There is always talk of a new arena but the I think the Hall has Landmark status.

The Ubben Basketball Complex opened in 1998 and Assembly Hall was renovated in 1999. There is always talk of a new arena but the I think the Hall has Landmark status.

-thanks, i will take this to mean facilities are not an issue or in need of upgrade at illinois

Roy. I agree with you that Bruce Weber is not a really good coach (Top tier Division 1 coach that is). Yes, he did quite well with Bill Self's guys and yes he did put together 6 good years at SIUC, yes his resume was good enough to be given the Illini job, and yes he sure did benefit from Matt Painter at SIUC. And yes, at his now older age and at this stage in coaching, no way would he want to be an assistant at SLU and no way would I want him here at SLU as RM's assistant. Post-RM head coach, I'd still consider but that's another topic...

At the same time, after all the Porter emails, I thought we had reached consensus that the head coach is ultimately responsible for landing kids, that good recruiters are invaluable but to act like the head coach is irrelevant, that the head coach doesn't recruit as well and that kids pick schools based upon the assistant coach is simply wrong. Also, don't forget that Weber deserves alot of credit for his work at SIUC and in hiring Matt Painter (and I believe Chris Lowery) as assistants.

-were we on him before he committed to illini?

Yes, I remember Earl mentioning that we were recruiting him for a while. Hill should consider playing with Keith Carter, who continues to roll... http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-02-18/sports/ct-spt-0219-prep-bkb-warren-proviso-east-20120218_1_sterling-brown-paris-lee-proviso-east

I like how the articles usually mention that Carter is going to SLU. Carter's team hammered Hill's team earlier this year. Carter hit a great shot in that game - http://www.highschoolcube.com/schools/belleville-high-school-east-belleville-illinois/video/2011-state-farm-tournament-of-champions-varsity-basketball-belleville-east-vs-proviso-east-201238/clips/keith-carter-with-a-buzzer-beat-1441

Yes, I remember Earl mentioning that we were recruiting him for a while. Hill should consider playing with Keith Carter, who continues to roll... http://articles.chic...ee-proviso-east

I like how the articles usually mention that Carter is going to SLU. Carter's team hammered Hill's team earlier this year. Carter hit a great shot in that game - http://www.highschoo...uzzer-beat-1441

I'm really looking forward to Guy calling him Kevin Carter and the inevitible "Carter Country" references. (I know there are Bills fan old enough to remember that god-awful tv show.....)

Yes, I remember Earl mentioning that we were recruiting him for a while. Hill should consider playing with Keith Carter, who continues to roll... http://articles.chic...ee-proviso-east

I like how the articles usually mention that Carter is going to SLU. Carter's team hammered Hill's team earlier this year. Carter hit a great shot in that game - http://www.highschoo...uzzer-beat-1441

the belleville east coach is horrible. wasting a lot of talent this year imo. probably the most underachieving team in the st louis area.

i'm a bit worried. it appears porter has struck again. bought him a car bomb and stole his azzzzzz...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/edgytim/basketball/recruiting/player-Keith-Carter-99220

Imo it seems how good any job is depends on the abilities of the recent coaches. Had Self stayed at Illinois it would be a top 10 type job and the Illini would be a top 10 type program.

SIU was considered a pretty good mid-major job, is it anymore?

Probably not nearly as good as it was before. They're paying Lowerly somewhere around $1 mil/ per. I don't think they'll be willing to do that with the next coach.

I would be completely shocked if Stevens ended up at Illinois, although I do think he would do a terrific job there. The past 2 years he has turned down huge raises to BCS schools, saying that you shouldn't mess with happiness. Now, I'm not saying he will stay there forever, but this isn't the year he is going to leave. Butler is going to have an extremely good team next season. It could be the most talented Butler team they've ever had, and will certainly be top 3. He won't abandon that for a job at Illinois.

I would be completely shocked if Stevens ended up at Illinois, although I do think he would do a terrific job there. The past 2 years he has turned down huge raises to BCS schools, saying that you shouldn't mess with happiness. Now, I'm not saying he will stay there forever, but this isn't the year he is going to leave. Butler is going to have an extremely good team next season. It could be the most talented Butler team they've ever had, and will certainly be top 3. He won't abandon that for a job at Illinois.

while i understand the want for financial security, i also wonder when a successful up and comer makes a name for himself and then moves on and then doesnt replicate that success at the new school. dan monson comes to mind at gonzaga. of course stevens at butler. Weber himself at siu. assuming they can get paid accordingly, why not be the legend maker at their school. for example, coach K at duke. prior to coach k, while duke was a good basketball school, it wasnt the legend that he made it into. now it is the ultimate college basketball comparison.

while i understand the want for financial security, i also wonder when a successful up and comer makes a name for himself and then moves on and then doesnt replicate that success at the new school. dan monson comes to mind at gonzaga. of course stevens at butler. Weber himself at siu. assuming they can get paid accordingly, why not be the legend maker at their school. for example, coach K at duke. prior to coach k, while duke was a good basketball school, it wasnt the legend that he made it into. now it is the ultimate college basketball comparison.

Somebody just texted me and told me to put down Kelvin Sampson as one of those coaches.

Duke was in the ACC, they won 10 ACC titles before coach Coach K, went to the Fial Four four times before K showed up, played in the national championship game 3 years before he got the job, and made the Elite Eight the year before he arrived. Duke was a destination job before Coach K arrived,

If you look at the past few coaches at Butler you have examples of both sides. Todd Lickliter went to Iowa and failed. Thad Matta ended up at Ohio State and is obviously thriving. I think Stevens is in a completely different situation than both of them though and won't leave, at least not in the near future. First off, he is making a ton more money than either of them did. He already has financial security at Butler, so it's going to take more than money to lure him anywhere.

Second, Butler is a lot more established now and with top 100 recruits committed for 2012 and 2013 its a pretty sure thing that Butler isn't going anywhere. Sometimes mid major coaches are in a position where they were fortunate to end up with a good team and it's better to leave for a big payday in case the next generation of players aren't as good and you lose the hype associated with the organization. This obviously isn't the case at Butler. If Stevens does want to leave, he can be patient choose the time and program that is best for him. I don't feel like Illinois is that program right now.