Schedule: 2016-2017

Looking ahead at this upcoming season, what do we know about the schedule so far? Any tournaments, return games, and other games that we might know about at this point?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only tournaments with reaming spots:

Gulf coast showcase - Fort Meyers

Lone Star Showcase - Cedar Park, Texas

Corpus Christi coastal classic- Didnt we play this one already?

Rainbow Classic - Hawaii

Challenge in Music City - Nashville

Heard something about a possible Vegas Tournament.

Could be the "Men who speak up" tournament already 4 teams, looking for 4 more. : Alabama, BYU, Minnesota, Valpo.

Also the Global sports classic, also looking for a few more. : TCU, UNLV, Washington, WKU

Believe we have return game to Indiana State.

Was this more than a home-and-home? Because we played there in 2014-2015; I was fortunate enough to sit by Box and Won, Westy03, and a couple others.

Was this more than a home-and-home? Because we played there in 2014-2015; I was fortunate enough to sit by Box and Won, Westy03, and a couple others.

I believe this year's game was the start of another Home and Home with them. They played here in 13-14.

I think most of us remember that game well, one of the high points over the past two seasons...

Indiana State will have a few local kids playing for them next season with Jordan Barnes (CBC) and Donovan Franklin (O'Fallon) headed there in addition to Emondre Rickman (Collinsville).

I think most of us remember that game well, one of the high points over the past two seasons...

Indiana State will have a few local kids playing for them next season with Jordan Barnes (CBC) and Donovan Franklin (O'Fallon) headed there in addition to Emondre Rickman (Collinsville).

OH NO, we have to play v Jordan Barnes, who according to Uncle Jack (billiken roy) is better than any returning player we have and obviously will be All-Valley. We are doomed. Might as well mail that one in.

OH NO, we have to play v Jordan Barnes, who according to Uncle Jack (billiken roy) is better than any returning player we have and obviously will be All-Valley. We are doomed. Might as well mail that one in.

Wouldn't have to be a valley starter let alone all conference to be better than our returnees.

I thought it would be interesting to look and any trends with Coach Ford's non-conference schedules from previous seasons.

For right now I'm going to look at out of conference strength of schedule (OOC SOS):

It feels like SLU has had a pretty poor out of conference strengths of schedule most years, but the numbers don't exactly bear that out.

Here are the ranks the past few years (based on NCAA RPI - imperfect measure, but easily available):

2016 - 156

2015 - 253

2014 - 72

2013 - 86

2012 - 138

Meanwhile here are where Ford's teams ranked

OSU

2016 - 303

2015 - 145

2014 - 97

2013 - 103

2012 - 157

2011 - 141

2010 - 119

2009 - 21

UMass

2008 - 39

2007 - 119

2006 - 71

EKU

2005 - 120

First a few caveats. I believe that often assistant coaches or DOBs have more to do with setting up the schedule than head coaches. However, I am assuming the head coach has some influence on the overall strength. The schedules for Ford's 1st years on the job may have already been in place somewhat because of previous commitments, so those likely should be thrown out. Also, at EKU Ford was likely scheduling a lot of buy games, so that likely isn't predictive for SLU going forward.

I wanted to take the numbers back to his UMass days because presumably with OSU being in one of the top (if not the top) basketball conferences, he would not have necessarily needed to put together a strong OOC schedule to wind up with a good overall SOS. The relatively higher numbers while at UMass compared to OSU seem to bare this out. There also seems to be some stronger scheduling for his better teams.

Overall, it looks like we can expect Ford to put together a similar or slightly stronger OOC schedule than we have been used to seeing at SLU. The awful 2016 schedule looks like an anomaly for him as his team typically have an OOC SOS around 150 or higher. Given his schedules at UMass look stronger than his OSU schedules, I would assume we will see something similar while he is at SLU.

At some point in the future, I may look into teams that he has scheduled regularly in the OOC schedule because that may hint at who we might see SLU play going forward.

I am sure the coach approves every game that is schedule so the AC who does the schedule is not doing this without direction. I do think you make a fair point that if you are in a power 5 conference there is little need to go overboard with scheduling a bunch of tough OOC games. It would be interesting to know what his total SOS was for those years.

It looks like Ford canceled the ISU game, likely due to Jordan Barnes being on the roster. Good move coach you avoided a HUGE embarrassment. After all, Barnes is better than EVERY RETURNING PLAYER on your roster. (I have this from a very reliable insider - can't divulge the source or he would cut me off.)

Here is an excerpt from the 'Haute Trib-Star. No mention of playing the Billikens.

How does the non-conference schedule look? The Sycamores are walking into a buzzsaw with its MTE tournament. Indiana State plays in the AdvoCare Invitational in Orlando, Fla. The field? Florida, Miami, Gonzaga, Iowa State, Seton Hall, Stanford and Quinnipiac. That is far and away the most rugged field ISU has faced in one of these tournaments. Just playing in this field should help ISU’s RPI. If it wins a game or two, it could be massive.

The rest? Butler visits Hulman Center to conclude a 2-for-1, a rare two where the pair was at Hulman Center. ISU plays at Utah State in the Mountain West/MVC Challenge.

There’s the mix of the traditional in-state/nearby mid-major foes (Valparaiso, Ball State, Eastern Illinois). Western Kentucky visits Hulman Center and so will a likely Division II team. ISU might do a buy game, but given its schedule, it might not have to.

– Todd Golden, Tribune-Star

After all, Barnes is better than EVERY RETURNING PLAYER on your roster. (I have this from a very reliable insider - can't divulge the source or he would cut me off.)

[/i][/b]

I hate people like you

It looks like Ford canceled the ISU game, likely due to Jordan Barnes being on the roster. Good move coach you avoided a HUGE embarrassment. After all, Barnes is better than EVERY RETURNING PLAYER on your roster. (I have this from a very reliable insider - can't divulge the source or he would cut me off.)

Here is an excerpt from the 'Haute Trib-Star. No mention of playing the Billikens.

How does the non-conference schedule look? The Sycamores are walking into a buzzsaw with its MTE tournament. Indiana State plays in the AdvoCare Invitational in Orlando, Fla. The field? Florida, Miami, Gonzaga, Iowa State, Seton Hall, Stanford and Quinnipiac. That is far and away the most rugged field ISU has faced in one of these tournaments. Just playing in this field should help ISUs RPI. If it wins a game or two, it could be massive.

The rest? Butler visits Hulman Center to conclude a 2-for-1, a rare two where the pair was at Hulman Center. ISU plays at Utah State in the Mountain West/MVC Challenge.

Theres the mix of the traditional in-state/nearby mid-major foes (Valparaiso, Ball State, Eastern Illinois). Western Kentucky visits Hulman Center and so will a likely Division II team. ISU might do a buy game, but given its schedule, it might not have to.

Todd Golden, Tribune-Star

Man you sure are bitter since your idol JC was fired. You should drink more

Only tournaments with reaming spots:

Gulf coast showcase - Fort Meyers

Lone Star Showcase - Cedar Park, Texas

Corpus Christi coastal classic- Didnt we play this one already?

Rainbow Classic - Hawaii

Challenge in Music City - Nashville

You are suggesting we're going to get reamed no matter where we play? ;)

We are not goring to get reamed regardless of where we play as it stands today. In order to make a statement like this we need to see how we play in the first few games. If we play as badly as some are pretty sure we will, then yes we may get reamed. If we play better than some people are predicting we may not get reamed after all. As it stands now it is wait and see.