The Legacy of Jim Crews continues....

Keith Carter denied fifth season at Valpo

As a freshman at St. Louis, Carter played in the Billikens first two games of the 2012-13 season and once more on Dec. 19 before suffering a foot injury. Interim coach Jim Crews would not allow Carter to redshirt that season, and he subsequently transferred, playing the second semester of the 2013-14 season for Valpo.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/05/11/valpos-carter-denied-fifth-season/

Rick was pretty high on him.

Rick was high on manning and Barnett too.

I still don't see how carter could have gotten a redshirt his freshman year after playing a few games and not really being injured.

Rick was high on manning and Barnett too.

I still don't see how carter could have gotten a redshirt his freshman year after playing a few games and not really being injured.

I agee - Crews never thought he was really hurt - now was he hurt or not - I do not know but apparently that disagreement is what soured him on SLU. To blame Crews is not really totally fair for the maybe injury thing - but I do blame Crews for not figuring out a way to keep the kid.

I thought the reason Crews refused to redshirt him was the Kwamain injury. So he decided to burn a year of his eligibility and only got garbage time minutes in three blowouts out of him. What a waste, for both Carter and the program here.

I thought the reason Crews refused to redshirt him was the Kwamain injury. So he decided to burn a year of his eligibility and only got garbage time minutes in three blowouts out of him. What a waste, for both Carter and the program here.

Once he played the first two games, a redshirt was out of the question unless he claimed he was hurt and wanted to appeal to the NCAA. That's why Carter's request to redshirt never made sense to me. He couldn't per the rules.

Once he played the first two games, a redshirt was out of the question unless he claimed he was hurt and wanted to appeal to the NCAA. That's why Carter's request to redshirt never made sense to me. He couldn't per the rules.

You can get a fifth year if you only play in a handful of games before the semester break and then get injured. Josh Kroenke at Mizzou was one example. Not sure if his situation was somehow different from Carter's, or if the rules have changed since then. I think they both claimed the actual injury occurred in preseason and then they tried to play through it.

You can get a fifth year if you only play in a handful of games before the semester break and then get injured. Josh Kroenke at Mizzou was one example. Not sure if his situation was somehow different from Carter's, or if the rules have changed since then. I think they both claimed the actual injury occurred in preseason and then they tried to play through it.

I think the rules are different if your father is a billionaire.

I second kshoe's assessment ----- look at EC Mathews of Rhode Island this year. Injured after one half of one game. Counts as a total year. When he's done,he might be able to petition for a fifth year but only then. Don't believe the rules have changed. Carter was gone when Majerus was gone. For all my dislike of CrewSplatt's incompetance, this was not an instance of that.

Doesn't it have to be a season-ending injury (within the first few weeks) — not just one that hampers performance? A sprained ankle or dislocated finger won't pass mustard.

Yes. UCONN's Morgan Tuck played eight games her sophomore year and got hurt. She redshirted the rest of that year. The rules are the same for women and men alike.

Carter wanted to redshirt at the beginning of the season. Mitchell got hurt and Crews didn't let him. Than he ended up sitting most of the time anyways.

Doesn't it have to be a season-ending injury (within the first few weeks) — not just one that hampers performance? A sprained ankle or dislocated finger won't pass mustard.

A sprained ankle or dislocated finger won't even pass muster let alone mustard.

Crews screwed up a lot of things, but this wasn't one of them. Mitchell was hurt to start the season, so we needed Carter to play. He got hurt in the Santa Clara game. It was reported as a minor injury at first, but Carter seemed to be dragging his feet... trying to go for the redshirt idea. I think Crews must have gotten an early indication the kid was sniffing around at transferring. I got the sense that 1) Carter wanted to play for RM (can't blame him) 2) Found out that there was a LOT of competition for PT with the return of KM to go along with MM and Jordair.

Crews screwed up a lot of things, but this wasn't one of them. Mitchell was hurt to start the season, so we needed Carter to play. He got hurt in the Santa Clara game. It was reported as a minor injury at first, but Carter seemed to be dragging his feet... trying to go for the redshirt idea. I think Crews must have gotten an early indication the kid was sniffing around at transferring. I got the sense that 1) Carter wanted to play for RM (can't blame him) 2) Found out that there was a LOT of competition for PT with the return of KM to go along with MM and Jordair.

If he wanted to transfer, redshirting would have been the worst thing to do. If he transferred after redshirting not only would he have had to sit a year, but he would have lost a full year of eligibility having already burned his redshirt season.

If he wanted to transfer, redshirting would have been the worst thing to do. If he transferred after redshirting not only would he have had to sit a year, but he would have lost a full year of eligibility having already burned his redshirt season.

Carter was simply a kid who received alot of bad advice - mostly from those closed to him. Had he wanted to leave after the death of RM and prior to the season, then he should have received good advice, acted upon the advice and left SLU. Instead, he apparently decided to give it a try under Crews at SLU - and lo and behold - it did not go so well. Then, he changed his mind about SLU and, IMHO, may have injured himself but he sure acted like he was more injured than he was. In short, he came across as not being honest or believable with Crews and SLU, he played another game or 2 and then he decided to quit and run off to Valpo. Staying another year with the newly promoted assistant coach (without Byrce Drew) would sure be better than no more eligibility/basketball but also wouldn't be the same as this past year anyway. At some point, living the dream must come to end. No one cares anymore about your sports. Be thankful he had college basketball experience and now has no student loans but otherwise, just shut up and get a job like the rest of us.

But he seemed to be angling for a medical redshirt, which would have given him an extra year, correct? Glad nobody bought it.

Carter was simply a kid who received alot of bad advice - mostly from those closed to him. Had he wanted to leave after the death of RM and prior to the season, then he should have received good advice, acted upon the advice and left SLU. Instead, he apparently decided to give it a try under Crews at SLU - and lo and behold - it did not go so well.

Except Majerus didn't die until early December, after Carter had already played in two games. In fact the official announcement that Majerus would not return didn't come until after Carter had already played in those first two games.

If he wanted to redshirt before the season started, that at least gives the outward appearance that he might've been wanting to stay at SLU to play for Majerus or another coach, but not all that wild about the idea of burning a year of eligibility as a backup player for "interim" Coach Crews.