And west on 70

brianstl

The protesters' response to the media presence has been pretty hilarious, especially considering that Mizzou is home to one of the top J-schools in the country.

The funniest thing was the idiot professor asking for muscle to get rid of the journalist was begging for the press to show up 3 days earlier on Facebook.

And what is up with this safe space crap? You have no right in this country not to be offended or not to be bothered when you are on public property.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither really fixed anything. I just think SLU did a much better job of handling their situation than Mizzou did. SLU had a chance to become a much more explosive situation than Mizzou ever did. SLU handled theirs with minimal damage done to the image of the school. Mizzou's image is in tatters right now.

Wolfe had to go because he let the situation devolve into what it became.

The situations have some key differences though. SLU had non students protesting on campus (like you said a potentially more explosive situation) and were able to come to an agreement that appeased them and got them off campus. Mizzou had their football team get involved bringing national exposure to what was mostly a non story (would have likely ended the same as SLU with agreements to action that I think I heard were already being drafted) and the group of students protesting wanted nothing less than the removal of Wolfe, so it was a much more extreme group demands wise affiliated with the University who were able to make it huge national news thanks to the football team (also giving the University no other choice).

The situations have some key differences though. SLU had non students protesting and were able to come to an agreement that appeased them and got them off campus. Mizzou had their football team get involved bringing national exposure to what was mostly a non story (would have likely ended the same as SLU with agreements to action that I think I heard were already being drafted) and the group of students protesting wanted nothing less than the removal of Wolfe, so it was a much more extreme group who actually was affiliated with the University.

I think if the administration would have just paid lip service to the grad students and formed a committee to try to address their concerns after the health subsidies were cut, it would have stopped most of this before it ever got started. Instead they gave less than two weeks notice that this was happening and said sorry this is the way it is going to be.

Wolfe didn't realize this was totally different than making a benefit cut at Novell.

I think if the administration would have just paid lip service to the grad students and formed a committee to try to address their concerns after the health subsidies were cut, it would have stopped most of this before it ever got started. Instead they gave less than two weeks notice that this was happening and said sorry this is the way it is going to be.

Wolfe didn't realize this was totally different than making a benefit cut at Novell.

Completely agree.

I think on some level it was inevitable. Chickens coming home to roost on a hire that was ridiculous to begin with. Even SEC schools are supposed to pretend that they're institutions of higher learning. The Wolfe hire openly mocked that idea. The ugliness toward young black men when they're not on the football field (which has always been around in Boone County) just provided an especially nasty backdrop for Wolfe and Company to turn a blind eye to.

The situations have some key differences though. SLU had non students protesting on campus (like you said a potentially more explosive situation) and were able to come to an agreement that appeased them and got them off campus. Mizzou had their football team get involved bringing national exposure to what was mostly a non story (would have likely ended the same as SLU with agreements to action that I think I heard were already being drafted) and the group of students protesting wanted nothing less than the removal of Wolfe, so it was a much more extreme group demands wise affiliated with the University who were able to make it huge national news thanks to the football team (also giving the University no other choice).

The Mizzou situation was also directly fueled by events on campus. The SLU protests were part of bigger regional and national issues. The SLU Occupiers were never really protesting actions by the SLU Administration, at least not directly.

And what is up with this safe space crap? You have no right in this country not to be offended or not to be bothered when you are on public property.

I read a comment yesterday that explained "safe spaces" perfectly. Basically, safe spaces are the result of the participation trophy generation starting to reach adulthood.

When did the swastika come to represent oppression against blacks? The final solution was aimed at Jews - not African Americans.

Hopefully this is an attempt at humor. The final solution was aimed at other groups as well as Jews (including more than a few Catholics). And the swastika has been used as a symbol of all-purpose hate in the U.S. since the skinheads and KKK joined forces in the 1960s. Sometimes the rebel flag just isn't extreme enough to provoke the reaction you're aiming for.

The doofuses in Boone County probably don't realize that.

Also, thanks to MB for the BYU -4 tip.

Read you history - Hitler believed that blacks were inferior so the symbol does impact across other races. Also, I know you did not comment on this but others have - the health care issue at MU was resolved when the insurance was reinstated about a week later after it was taken away. This issue was all about how poorly the administration had handled many issues that involved black students over a long period of time. Eventually all this builds and creates a firestorm.

The issue that many have is not with "direct" forms of racism, but more so with underlying institutional and systematic forms of racism which are still present in society. America has been integrated for what, just about 50 years? The effects of years and years of racially divided society did not go away over night, and you can still see the aftermath in the fractured and divided greater St. Louis Area. Is it "just" for certain communities to have a plethora of resources and funds as opposed to minority communities which lack those resources? It is a tough issue, but to say that certain forms of disparity do not exist anymore is just plain ignorant. This is where many of the racial issues today lie. Do people in St. Louis still want to live in the counties and suburbs for fear of living in the city near communities which are primarily black? Absolutely.

Racism may not be direct anymore (although there are certainly people who are openly racist), but it still exists in other ways if you look just below the surface. That is what has been going on lately. That being said, I am not justifying certain actions that people have taken, but there is definitely a reason for why these things have been going on, particularly in St. Louis and the state of Missouri.

Read you history - Hitler believed that blacks were inferior so the symbol does impact across other races.

Sure. I guess I failed to consider that the racist's choice of medium - doo-doo - would have made it a little more difficult to accurately depict other racist symbols.

It all comes around. The generation that protested over civil rights and Vietnam in college is now protesting oppressive coffee cups in senectitude.

What a fabulous word. New one on me, although now that I know what it means, I probably should have had a good guess based on its Latin root.

In fairness, one of the chief idiots leading the "protest" is a GenXer.

It sounds a bit more polite than decrepitude.

And I'm still fuzzy on where the cutoff between Gen X and Oregon Trail and Millennial is, exactly. I just know no one seems to want to admit to being a Millennial now, just like for a while no one wanted to admit to being Gen X.

The issue that many have is not with "direct" forms of racism, but more so with underlying institutional and systematic forms of racism which are still present in society. America has been integrated for what, just about 50 years? The effects of years and years of racially divided society did not go away over night, and you can still see the aftermath in the fractured and divided greater St. Louis Area. Is it "just" for certain communities to have a plethora of resources and funds as opposed to minority communities which lack those resources? It is a tough issue, but to say that certain forms of disparity do not exist anymore is just plain ignorant. This is where many of the racial issues today lie. Do people in St. Louis still want to live in the counties and suburbs for fear of living in the city near communities which are primarily black? Absolutely.

Racism may not be direct anymore (although there are certainly people who are openly racist), but it still exists in other ways if you look just below the surface. That is what has been going on lately. That being said, I am not justifying certain actions that people have taken, but there is definitely a reason for why these things have been going on, particularly in St. Louis and the state of Missouri.

Excellent post.

Sure. I guess I failed to consider that the racist's choice of medium - doo-doo - would have made it a little more difficult to accurately depict other racist symbols.

There were some great shartists in Gries, circa 2002-2003.

The real interesting thing here real be the fallout as players around the country realize they actually have the power. What happens now when players see the success the Mizzou players are having here and decide focus on compensation?

What happens if a team or two inside the college football top four decide to unite and force the issue a couple weeks before the college football playoffs? What happens if a couple of number one seeds decide to force the issue heading into the NCAA tournament? What happens when billions of dollars are on the line instead of millions?

Dan Wetzel's column on this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/missouri-protest-exposes-ncaa-s-greatest-fear-200005001.html

When did the swastika come to represent oppression against blacks? The final solution was aimed at Jews - not African Americans.

The "final solution" was aimed at everyone who didn't agree with the Nazis; Jews and Gypsies was blatant ethnic hate, but anyone who publicly spoke up joined them in the camps. Hitler was no fan of any religion. Communists were sub-human. Aryans were the "master race."

A quote of Hitler's that I have never forgotten:

"A state, which in this epoch of race-poisoning, that dedicates itself to the cherishing of its best racial elements must someday be master of the world."

I sat and thought about this awhile, so then I remembered the entire quote and edited it.

Man, this is a well reasoned post.