OT: Forbes America's Top Colleges

I don't remember where SLU ranked last year but we come in at #207 this year. One spot ahead of Mizzou at least.

Link to the the start of the list http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

Link to SLU's page http://www.forbes.com/colleges/saint-louis-university-main-campus/

Link to the criteria http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinehoward/2013/07/24/ranking-americas-top-colleges-2013/

We were in the 400s a couple of years back...

But Forbes is notorious at having some BS ranking criteria (Rate My Professor reviews?! And also placing such a premium on Leader's Lists and National Awards is a fairly narrow metric)

Haverford College went from #1 to #43 in only a few years...illustrates how ridiculous these rankings can be...

To some degree all of these lists of "best" colleges, cars, etc... are based upon subjective data. For example judging cars the magazines include items like fit and finish, sporty drive, quality of fittings, etc... I have no idea how colleges are judged by magazines but they may have items like salaries of professors, student satisfaction, retention rate, percent of students going to grad school, etc. If you include items like these, particularly retention rate and % of students going to grad school, you will favor schools with high class students whose families expect the kids to go to grad school, graduate, make useful contacts while in school, etc... In other words, the country club effect. Pomona is good but it is a peculiar school, there are six separate colleges basically sharing a campus or campuses, all specializing in different areas and all having specific social types of student bodies attending. The six colleges are independent of one another but the students I believe can attend classes in any of the colleges, there may be some restrictions in the number of classes they can attend, etc... They do attract a very upper class student body and all six separate colleges are very expensive. Exactly the country club type of atmosphere I am referring to. Other schools, take Florida Golf Coast, attract more of a normal type of student body, and the parents of these kids may not be ready or capable to foot a grad education or expect it from their children. It is a pervasive form of bias that sneaks into reports like these which favor certain kinds of schools over others. Among Jesuit schools, Georgetown and BC attract a higher social level of students than other institutions and have some of the same characteristics I described above. If you factor in certain parameters into the review of the schools, schools catering to upper socioeconomic classes will come up on top.

This ranking system clearly does not take into account the poon crushing abilities of the bball squad. Therefore, I will choose to ignore this poll and suggest all others do the same.

Mods, please close this topic now - it's out of control.

• 1 year later...

Where do the other A-10 schools rank out of curiosity?

#22 Davidson

#96 Richmond

#122 GW

#150 Fordham

#222 UMass

#227 St. Joes

#232 George Mason

#242 Dayton

#304 Duquesne

#344 LaSalle

#424 Rhode Island

#460 VCU

Couldn't find St. Bonaventure

at Easter I was in line near a Jesuit seminarian or whatever they call them now; he told the people in front of us he was working in East Saint Louis

before being assigned to a university-his choices; SLU, Fordham, and somewhere else I can't recall at the moment. He said everyone wants in

SLU and no one hopes to go to Fordham and he was an East coaster, himself.

Anyone choosing schools on magazines is naive to say the least