OT: Live look-in at campus protesters

DoctorB

ANY PROTESTORS WHO ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE UNIVERSITY IN SOME WAY NEED TO GET THE FUOK UP OFF OF OUR PRIVATE UNIVERSITY GROUNDS AND LET KIDS GO TO CLASS. SICK OF THIS SH.IT. HAVE A POLICE OFFICER THERE AND ANYONE WHO CAN'T PRODUCE A UNIVERSITY ID GETS MOVED THE FUOK OFF CAMPUS.

WE PLAYED FOOTBALL WITH A CRACKHEAD ONCE OVER BY THE ENGINEERING SCHOOL AND AFTER WE WERE DONE BUSTING HIM UP HE TRIED TO COME INTO GRIES AND WE TOLD HIM TO MOVE THE FUOK ON. SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY IS A PLACE FOR LEARNING, NOT CRYBABY CRACKHEAD SH.IT.

AND YES, I'M YELLING.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ANY PROTESTORS WHO ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE UNIVERSITY IN SOME WAY NEED TO GET THE FUOK UP OFF OF OUR PRIVATE UNIVERSITY GROUNDS AND LET KIDS GO TO CLASS. SICK OF THIS SH.IT. HAVE A POLICE OFFICER THERE AND ANYONE WHO CAN'T PRODUCE A UNIVERSITY ID GETS MOVED THE FUOK OFF CAMPUS.

WE PLAYED FOOTBALL WITH A CRACKHEAD ONCE OVER BY THE ENGINEERING SCHOOL AND AFTER WE WERE DONE BUSTING HIM UP HE TRIED TO COME INTO GRIES AND WE TOLD HIM TO MOVE THE FUOK ON. SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY IS A PLACE FOR LEARNING, NOT CRYBABY CRACKHEAD SH.IT.

AND YES, I'M YELLING.

good point. safety concern. those lazy bums might be packin

There is no harm right now other than just a distraction for students, but you also can't blame students/parents for being afraid. I know it's been "peaceful" on campus, but everyone saw videos, pictures, news, etc about the protests and riots just last month.

I just don't want SLU to turn into a "go to" place for protests. And I also think SLU is walking a thin line. Do you let future protest groups onto your campus? What happens if a pro-police group wants to peacefully protest on the other end of campus? Do you let that happen?

You let whoever wants to protest to protest as long as they do it peacefully and are not too disruptive.

They want the cops to come in and to start busting heads. Don't give them what they want, because if you do then you really will become the go to place for future protesting. Plus, that would really drive future students and their parents away from the school.

You let whoever wants to protest to protest as long as they do it peacefully and are not too disruptive.

They want the cops to come in and to start busting heads. Don't give them what they want, because if you do then you really will become the go to place for future protesting. Plus, that would really drive future students and their parents away from the school.

Yep. They'll move on soon, and things will return to normal.

Is this really something to get worked up about? It isn't hurting anyone and the fact SLU isn't cracking down on them makes the school more attractive to the age demographic the school recruits from.

I'm not sure this makes the school more attractive, Brian. Again, the atmosphere around the school, from what I can tell, is that students are fed up with the protests. I don't think seeing these protests and associating them with the other violent protests (which will happen, rightly or not) will make our school more attractive to upper middle class white, which is our student body.

I don't think I have seen the "Rev Al" carrying his justice signs at any black on white shootings or even any black on black shootings-again with the new definition of "justice" those things just don't qualify!

I disagree with you on almost everything and I'm probably not going to change your mind.

But fyi you are wrong with this sentence. Al has led a lot of talks and conferences on black on black crime. Just because you didn't pay attention doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'm not sure it has been mentioned, but the father of the kid who was killed at Shaw works at SLU - http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/protesters-stage-sit-in-at-st-louis-university/article_9805e775-dffa-5b5a-b79d-6559866711ed.html

Since apparently we are now free to talk about current events/political issues (which I have always been fine with) a few random thoughts... the article above explains why there was an original gathering at SLU. Not sure why they are still there, but on the other hand, not sure why it is freaking some people out. Demonstrations at a college campus? Wow, that is crazy. :rolleyes: As long as it remains peaceful and not too disruptive, no big deal. Pro-Life groups often have demonstrations on campus. I suspect some of the folks bothered by this demonstration are not bothered by that.

The kid in the Shaw incident was reportedly carrying a gun and firing it at an officer. If that is how it went down, I can't say I feel sorry for the kid. Based on what we know, however, the Michael Brown situation is in much more of a grey area to say the least. Gunning down an unarmed 18-year-old because he stole some stuff and was walking in the middle of the street or got a little mouthy... I don't know? Is that the best we can do or should we expect better from law enforcement? (I have a great of respect for law enforcement and have a family member who was a police officer. It is an extremely difficult and underpaid profession. I am by no means a blame the police first guy).

Unfortunately, I think the protestors combining the two incidents only muddies the situation if we are to have a healthy dialogue about use of police force.

I disagree with you on almost everything and I'm probably not going to change your mind.

But fyi you are wrong with this sentence. Al has led a lot of talks and conferences on black on black crime. Just because you didn't pay attention doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Maybe you were in Milwaukee when the Kirkwood police officer was killed in Meachum Park but I was here and didn't see the "Rev" in town carrying any signs or leading any walks. I also missed seeing him when Cookie Thornton killed two Kirkwood police officers along with a few other officials. If he ain't gonna get on TV (which is now easier since he is a regular on that failing TV station-MSNBC) the "Rev" ain't showin his face. Let's just face this most obvious fact, the "Rev" is a racist and if you can't acknowledge that fact then I pity you. There are many true leaders/role models in and for the black community, but the "Rev" ain't amongst 'em.

First, his name was Fr. Biondi.

Second, I would have been glad to hold the hose.

Third, one thing that is consistent throughout all the events is that facts need not be considered. Gun residue on the Shaw area shooter? Na, he was just holding a sandwich (Where do you buy a gun powder residue sandwich?) Let's not let minor facts stand in the way of a nightly party on the streets. (By the way why are these events on city streets always held after dark?)

Fourth, regarding the impending canonization of Michael Brown. We all seem to want to ignore the fact that this "passive gentle giant" had just roughed up a store clerk as he stole a significant number of cigars from a retail establishment. Having just committed the crime (I assume many/most of the anarchists, masquerading as protesters might not even consider this a crime) I'm sure there is absolutely no doubt that he felt an arrest imminent as the policeman stopped him. Given that likely mindset, of course he just stood there with his hands raised and saying don't shoot.

Fifth, we now have a new definition of the word, "justice." It means arrest any white officer involved in a shooting with a black man, without regard to what an investigation, including a grand jury, might reveal. I don't think I have seen the "Rev Al" carrying his justice signs at any black on white shootings or even any black on black shootings-again with the new definition of "justice" those things just don't qualify!

Too bad there is not a ROTC building on the SLU campus. If there was, the current agitators would likely be joining their ultra-lib Wash U. friends in re-enacting the arson that took place back in the Viet Nam era.

As a SLU grad I'm very disappointed in the new administration and the actions of the SLU Law School. True ACLU types should be just as interested in the ability of the Ferg. police officer to get a fair and impartial investigation and/or trial, but no, it doesn't meet the liberal test of who is entitled to due process. I'm just so happy that the US Dept. of Justice sees fit to consider this case a national priority that warrants federal funds and resources being spent-thanks you Mr. Holder-I'm sure you and your staffers have no pre-conceived notions about anything having to do with the Brown incident.

I wonder what side you would have been on back in the day when MLK was leading protests? His groups were often labeled "agitators" and they faced fire hoses. Would you have ordered the National Guard to fire guns at the Kent State "agitators"?

We whould probably keep this discussion to what is going on at SLU.

While I'm not a moderator, Steve commented in another thread yesterday that any talk of Ferguson should be prohibited. Already posters are going overboard on this. Lets close this thread before it gets ugly.

While I'm not a moderator, Steve commented in another thread yesterday that any talk of Ferguson should be prohibited. Already posters are going overboard on this. Lets close this thread before it gets ugly.

I have yet to decide what to do with this thread. The only reason it does remain open though is because of what is happening on SLU's campus, and for now, I am with brainstl that discussion should be kept to what is going on at SLU.

When I attended SLU, there were anti-Bush protests, anti-Iraq War protests, anti-Israel protests, and anti-ROTC protests. One day, a bunch of people laid on the ground in front of the library with chalk outlines, representing people who had been executed in Missouri. I just walked around them. I really fail to see how these "agitators" are "terrorizing" the students and preventing them from getting an education.

There was, from what I heard, a SLU student (RA in Gries) who led the protestors onto campus. Most people are pretty pissed about this. I was told that he also tried to sneak people into the building if you can believe that. I honestly think he should face serious discipline for this, or even be expelled, if it is true....

Again, I think the administration is handling it very well and nothing has gotten out of control. Most students are not being distracted or anything like that during midterms. However, it is becoming old and I think most people just want the protestors gone.

Serious discipline?

How about the the student code "police" who went after KM and WR following "the Incident"? Do they still exist? Maybe we can press a 2L (second year law student) into service to represent this guy who lives in Gries.

Just got this memo from our current "provost"; they are asking us to give "accommodations" to students on mid-term grading!

ps: the protesters are NOT all SLU students.

Ellen Harshman

Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs

Date: October 14, 2014

Re: Mid-term exams and assignments

Since Sunday night, I have received several messages from students who have been expressing

concerns that the night-time events on campus could potentially have a negative effect on their

performance on their mid-term exams this week. These communications have been very

thoughtful, recognizing the importance of campus dialogue on issues of social justice, but also

noting that the demonstrators have added to the students’ stress during time they would be

preparing for exams and/ or sleeping.

I have asked that each of the deans in schools with undergraduate programs communicate with

faculty members to suggest that under these circumstances it would be appropriate to provide

some flexibility for students who feel they were disadvantaged in their preparation for mid-term

exams because of the demonstrations on campus. You may already have received such a

message from your dean. I am adding my comments because of the number of messages from

students that have come to me over the past 12 hours. I have encouraged the students with

whom I have been in contact to speak to individual faculty members if they believe some

accommodation is warranted. For those students who seem to be exhibiting high levels of stress

or anxiety, I would urge you to help the student contact resources in University Counseling

Center, Campus Ministry, or Residence Life.

Just got this memo from our current "provost"; they are asking us to give "accommodations" to students on mid-term grading!

Ellen Harshman

Since Sunday night, I have received several messages from students who have been expressing

concerns that the night-time events on campus could potentially have a negative effect on their

performance on their mid-term exams this week. These communications have been very

thoughtful, recognizing the importance of campus dialogue on issues of social justice, but also

noting that the demonstrators have added to the students’ stress during time they would be

I have asked that each of the deans in schools with undergraduate programs communicate with

faculty members to suggest that under these circumstances it would be appropriate to provide

some flexibility for students who feel they were disadvantaged in their preparation for mid-term

exams because of the demonstrations on campus. You may already have received such a

message from your dean. I am adding my comments because of the number of messages from

students that have come to me over the past 12 hours. I have encouraged the students with

whom I have been in contact to speak to individual faculty members if they believe some

accommodation is warranted. For those students who seem to be exhibiting high levels of stress

or anxiety, I would urge you to help the student contact resources in University Counseling

Wow, some of these students are foo foo.

Reminds me of Engineering Chemistry class when the power went out for 5 mins during a 2 hour Chemistry final exam. I was slated to earn about a 40% (apparently along with the rest of the class). However, somehow we made the case (read:whined and complained enough) to the prof that the power going out was catastrophically detrimental to our chemistry aptitude.

He then made it that test grade count only if it helped your grade. What a great feeling.

Ellen Harshman

This is cracking me up! I tried to get away with some while at SLU sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. I didn't hold it against the professor if it didn't.

Stress? This is stressing them out? They have no clue about stress.

Anyway, when I was at SLU, I loved to patronize the anti-war protesters and the School of the Americas crowd. Once they were protesting "Smart Bombs". I'm a fan of PGMs (Precision Guided Munitions) and may have partaked in their use from time to time. Anyway they had no clue about them at all or come back to my questions about if they preferred non-guided munitions that had more collateral damage.