OT: Live look-in at campus protesters

DoctorB

FYI:

The camp-in protest continues here at SLU; and if you want to check in the university has set up a live feed available 24/7 on Youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6u6Ne10T5Y

This movement continutes pretty strongly here in the LOU, for you out of towners; It is rather surprising to me at least that our new president has allowed this camp-out to continue on SLU property but his handling of it has been outstanding, I think. It illustrates some -- shall we say, differences -- from our previous administration.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biondi would've turned a fire hose on them.

First, his name was Fr. Biondi.

Second, I would have been glad to hold the hose.

Third, one thing that is consistent throughout all the events is that facts need not be considered. Gun residue on the Shaw area shooter? Na, he was just holding a sandwich (Where do you buy a gun powder residue sandwich?) Let's not let minor facts stand in the way of a nightly party on the streets. (By the way why are these events on city streets always held after dark?)

Fourth, regarding the impending canonization of Michael Brown. We all seem to want to ignore the fact that this "passive gentle giant" had just roughed up a store clerk as he stole a significant number of cigars from a retail establishment. Having just committed the crime (I assume many/most of the anarchists, masquerading as protesters might not even consider this a crime) I'm sure there is absolutely no doubt that he felt an arrest imminent as the policeman stopped him. Given that likely mindset, of course he just stood there with his hands raised and saying don't shoot.

Fifth, we now have a new definition of the word, "justice." It means arrest any white officer involved in a shooting with a black man, without regard to what an investigation, including a grand jury, might reveal. I don't think I have seen the "Rev Al" carrying his justice signs at any black on white shootings or even any black on black shootings-again with the new definition of "justice" those things just don't qualify!

Too bad there is not a ROTC building on the SLU campus. If there was, the current agitators would likely be joining their ultra-lib Wash U. friends in re-enacting the arson that took place back in the Viet Nam era.

As a SLU grad I'm very disappointed in the new administration and the actions of the SLU Law School. True ACLU types should be just as interested in the ability of the Ferg. police officer to get a fair and impartial investigation and/or trial, but no, it doesn't meet the liberal test of who is entitled to due process. I'm just so happy that the US Dept. of Justice sees fit to consider this case a national priority that warrants federal funds and resources being spent-thanks you Mr. Holder-I'm sure you and your staffers have no pre-conceived notions about anything having to do with the Brown incident.

Third, one thing that is consistent throughout all the events is that facts need not be considered. Gun residue on the Shaw area shooter? Na, he was just holding a sandwich (Where do you buy a gun powder residue sandwich?) Let's not let minor facts stand in the way of a nightly party on the streets. (By the way why are these events on city streets always held after dark?)

Fourth, regarding the impending canonization of Michael Brown. We all seem to want to ignore the fact that this "passive gentle giant" had just roughed up a store clerk as he stole a significant number of cigars from a retail establishment. Having just committed the crime (I assume many/most of the anarchists, masquerading as protesters might not even consider this a crime) I'm sure there is absolutely no doubt that he felt an arrest imminent as the policeman stopped him. Given that likely mindset, of course he just stood there with his hands raised and saying don't shoot.

Fifth, we now have a new definition of the word, "justice." It means arrest any white officer involved in a shooting with a black man, without regard to what an investigation, including a grand jury, might reveal. I don't think I have seen the "Rev Al" carrying his justice signs at any black on white shootings or even any black on black shootings-again with the new definition of "justice" those things just don't qualify!

Too bad there is not a ROTC building on the SLU campus. If there was, the current agitators would likely be joining their ultra-lib Wash U. friends in re-enacting the arson that took place back in the Viet Nam era.

As a SLU grad I'm very disappointed in the new administration and the actions of the SLU Law School. True ACLU types should be just as interested in the ability of the Ferg. police officer to get a fair and impartial investigation and/or trial, but no, it doesn't meet the liberal test of who is entitled to due process. I'm just so happy that the US Dept. of Justice sees fit to consider this case a national priority that warrants federal funds and resources being spent-thanks you Mr. Holder-I'm sure you and your staffers have no pre-conceived notions about anything having to do with the Brown incident.

:(:unsure::wacko::blink:-_-:rolleyes::huh:

I kind of feel for the students as well. They came to SLU to get an education, not to be injected into St Louis City's problems surrounding the relationship between police and locals. Social Justice is in the SLU DNA so they have to deal with this situation in a nuanced manner. At some point though a disruption will have to be classified as exactly what it is....a disruption.

In the spirit of finding compromise and stemming unrest....I do not think that the wearing of cameras for all police officers is that outrageous of a demand.

Excellent post.

I hate to see the fine name of our Saint Louis University being forced, unwillingly associated in any way with this outlandish unfounded movement.

Kick them off campus.

I'm just thankful that these have been peaceful protests as opposed to violent riots. The administration is in a pickle; either kick them out and be victimized or let them stay and give them the perception that they are in support. Either way we have repercussions. That being said I think it is time for the non-student protesters to move on as they have overstayed their "welcome"

Bauman. I believe his name is actually Larry Biondi.

I would be pissed if I had to wade through these protestors to get home or to class. Especially protesting something that has 0 to do with Saint Louis University.

And it's not going to be long before some enterprising undergrad full off booze commits a futile and stupid gesture against the crowd.

Is this really something to get worked up about? It isn't hurting anyone and the fact SLU isn't cracking down on them makes the school more attractive to the age demographic the school recruits from.

I imagine it may be annoying or inconvenient for some students, but I tend to agree with this. This isn't the first protest to be held on a college campus, after all, and it seems a fair number of students are getting involved. If they want to peacefully protest in an academic setting in which the administration seems happy to accommodate them, then go for it. It's much more productive than what we've witnessed at some other protest locations, anyway.

I figure this may have been an attempt to show that systemic racism exists by getting the university to kick them off campus by force. I certainly don't like them being on campus but I think SLU made the right move in taking the high road on this.

+1. I don't like having the distraction on our campus, but I think the University has handled this perfectly.

There was, from what I heard, a SLU student (RA in Gries) who led the protestors onto campus. Most people are pretty pissed about this. I was told that he also tried to sneak people into the building if you can believe that. I honestly think he should face serious discipline for this, or even be expelled, if it is true....

Again, I think the administration is handling it very well and nothing has gotten out of control. Most students are not being distracted or anything like that during midterms. However, it is becoming old and I think most people just want the protestors gone.

I've seen multiple reports that those still here, the people camping out, are SLU students.

The actual protestors are from all over, some SLU students have just joined in. During the Q&A two nights ago, a woman said that she was from Oakland and was part of the Occupy protests there a couple years back

The actual protestors are from all over, some SLU students have just joined in. During the Q&A two nights ago, a woman said that she was from Oakland and was part of the Occupy protests there a couple years back

I always wonder how those people support themselves. Traveling from one protest to another doesn't seem like it'd pay very well.