SLU Soccer Rankings (Week 6)

kwyjibo

SLU has a big home game against Indiana tonight. It is for history and will be a big game this year as well. Indiana is not generally ranked but they have a decent record and are currently ahead of SLU in the RPI. SLU needs to beat top RPI teams in order to get some RPI bonuses in the official RPI. SLU is also playing at Rhodey on Saturday--there is a good chance I will be attending and will report here if I do.

Polls:

NSCAA (coaches)--38th (getting votes; last week 31st)

College Soccer News (websperts)--20th (last week 20th)

Top Drawer Soccer (websperts)--23rd(last week 23rd)

Soccer America (websperts)--18th;(last week 21st)

Rankings:

Official RPI: 41st (first run)

Gaucho Dan RPI: 44th (last week 20th--see what happens when you beat a bad team!)

Massey Ratings (computer with MOV): 29th (last week 22nd; needed to beat C. Arkansas by 4 goals to tread water!)

It used to be that SLU had more weight with the coaches but their polling makes no sense--SLU beat Central Arkansas Bears and should have just treaded water in the polls. Soccer America moving SLU up to 18th is a bit generous as well.

The winning percentage of their remaining opponents is still bad (.363) so SLU has little margin of error for a decent RPI (and teams like Memphis have proven to be much worse than expected). SLU got some bonuses in the official RPI for beating Tulsa and Louisville so their official RPI is less than Gaucho Dan's.

(Note: I updated this post to reflect the fact the official NCAA RPI came out).

Man....what a poor effort from SLU last night. We score first, then give up two goals to Indy, and then FINALLY wake the hell up to put actual pressure on Indy's offensive third and grab a late goal to tie with 90 seconds to go. Then we go to OT and lose. I have been a McGinty fan since he got here but after watching SLU play Denver and then Indy, I am losing a bit of confidence in his coaching. While I will admit that we have a completely new team out there for the most part, I see nothing of substance on the field. Their most consistent pass is backwards to the backs. Their most successful passes are between their backs. The attack is limited to balls over the top....couldn't tell you how many times a ball was lofted from 25 yards out to somebody up top. There was nothing dynamic in their play in an around their offensive third. No energy when guys were on the ball or off. Indy came to play and it showed. Very disappointed...not so much in losing but in just how SLU seemed the lesser of the two teams out there....at home as well.

Yep....Just over 6000. Great atmosphere for sure. I think they said it was the second highest.

Unfortunately, I did not get to go, but Indiana tweeted that it was the second highest with the highest being against Indiana in 1999.