OT: Yogi Berra - Bills Fan

Box and Won

I heard that interview this morning around 8:30 on 920 and was going to post that. Apparently Yogi would always ask Hummel how the Billikens were doing and that included both the men's and women's teams. I thought that was a neat little anecdote as a Billiken fan. I know he delivered the commencement address at my brother's graduation at SLU in 2007 (I was the best man in a wedding and could not attend, plus my brother is a d!ckhead).

I was fortunate to meet Yogi several times, there was a family connection. He knew my SLU background and always asked about the latest SLU scuttlebutt with true interest. As a local Catholic University, back in his day, before mass media, SLU was a much more formidable local topic of interest.

He was a great ballplayer and a truly good man, the real deal, humble, polite, and genuine.

My Dad, a St. Louis native, was a small college catcher in the late '30s/early '40s. One time when I was kid he told me that despite Yogi's great MLB career, he was only the second best catcher on his block growing up. I asked him what the heck he was talking about and he said that Garagiola and Yogi lived on the same street and Garagiola was considered the better prospect when they were teenagers. That story is well known now but 50 years ago it was very surprising to hear.

Down on the Hill, there is a block of Victoria (I think) that has special signs designating it as Hall of Fame Place. There were three members of the Baseball Hall of Fame that grow up on the same block (Berra, Garagiola, and Jack Buck). Crazy to think that three Hall of Famers grew up within a distance of about 400 feet.

My father and I met Yogi at a game in the old kiel many many years ago. He was a huge Billikens fan.

Grossly underrated baseball player as well. Overshadowed by Bench and by his own personality. When he was in his prime, winning 3 MVPs, it was the most competitive era in baseball and he dominated.

Always thought that one of the better Yogiisms is the time he as given a check which was endorsed "Pay to Bearer." He said he hated it when people misspelled his name.

Tourch : How can a hall of famer be grossly underrated?

Harry Rogers didn't make our all century team, but he is in the Billikens HOF so he's not underrated. Only a top 5 all time Billiken player who didn't make a list of 15 guys. Same thing with Yogi. He's a top 25 player all time, not a top 75. For a variety of reasons he gets overlooked, a rare New York player who is underrated.

Harry Rogers didn't make our all century team, but he is in the Billikens HOF so he's not underrated. Only a top 5 all time Billiken player who didn't make a list of 15 guys. Same thing with Yogi. He's a top 25 player all time, not a top 75. For a variety of reasons he gets overlooked, a rare New York player who is underrated.

But Yogi is on the all century team