Via Twitter: Welmer out for 4 Months with Stress Fracture

thetorch

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, to let a returning player sit out periodically. Have you ever played a competitive sport and been hurt?

I have. Not at the college level.

When you are cleared medically you don't sit out practices. You may work your way back in the playing rotation, but you don't sit out practices,

The thing is Bartley is/was supposed to be the point guard. He has already missed the whole summer and the Bahamas. He needs all the practice time he can get. It just makes no sense to sit the kid out of practice if he has been cleared and is 100%.

We are talking about practice, but these practices have extra importance in Bartley's case.

I have. Not at the college level.

When you are cleared medically you don't sit out practices. You may work your way back in the playing rotation, but you don't sit out practices

You are so wrong. Particularly when you have 6 weeks to build an athlete back up. But, with your wealth of competitive experience, you know more than SLU trainers and medical support staff.

Guys no one has been told what kind of "nagging foot injury" Bartley developed last year. The nature of the injury has a lot to do with the player's capabilities and, separately, with his ability to tolerate sustained effort. A soft tissue injury which becomes chronic is a lot harder to evaluate and declare 100% recovered and capable. These conditions can and do recur, rehabilitation is a matter of try and see, with gradual increases in the stress sustained. Therefore saying Bartley is 100% recovered is something that literally has no meaning, IF what he had was a soft tissue injury which became chronic, because these conditions can come back. If they do come back they generally start at a very low level, in an indolent fashion, and then ramp up as the constant effort on the area involved is maintained. This is the way I am reading the statement, yes he is OK now but the staff wants to make sure this injury does not recur and kill his ability to contribute late in the season. In other words, 100% recovery is not an absolute, it is relative to the nature of the injury and to the injury's capability to recur in an indolent fashion, or not recur at all. A chronic soft tissue inflammatory injury does not heal like a broken bone, the chance for a comeback is always there. Since we simply do not know what he had to start with we cannot judge what his real situation is or how well he can sustain constant practice. I do not think the Drs. have the ability to totally rule out a recurrence of a soft tissue inflammatory injury condition under sustained stress. I do not think Crews can be sure, not yet anyways, of how much Bartley can be pushed. Therefore he has opted to start him gradually to prevent further problems later on. This may indeed be the best way to deal with a situation involving a chronic soft tissue inflammatory injury.

If he is 100% healthy why would you hold him out of any practices or drills? That makes absolutely zero sense.

Are you an MD who has examined him? Do you have his medical record for this injury in front of you?

There are valid reasons why they would keep him out of practice to strengthen him before making all of the necessary cuts and movements required in a D-1 basketball practice. It's early October.

As usual, just ragging Crews.

Are you an MD who has examined him? Do you have his medical record for this injury in front of you?

There are valid reasons why they would keep him out of practice to strengthen him before making all of the necessary cuts and movements required in a D-1 basketball practice. It's early October.

As usual, just ragging Crews.

We are just reacting to the quote and poking fun at that, I would assume most of us understand how a player comebacks from an injury and is eased into things as they gain strength, but to the extent a player is not a full participant and is still gaining strength then he would not be 100% (would imply in a few weeks he would be >100%) which is what people are poking fun at (within the same quote saying a guy is 100% and that he is being held from certain activities).

We are just reacting to the quote and poking fun at that, I would assume most of us understand how a player comebacks from an injury and is eased into things as they gain strength, but to the extent a player is not a full participant and is still gaining strength then he would not be 100% (would imply in a few weeks he would be >100%) which is what people are poking fun at (within the same quote saying a guy is 100% and that he is being held from certain activities).

you are reacting to what you mistakenly think the quote says, either unwittingly or with malicious intent. There was nothing about gaining strength in his quote. He specifically does not say anything about strength, nor does he imply that he would gain anything and be more than 100%.

“Marcus is 100 percent physically but not doing 100 percent of everything yet." (he does not say he cannot do 100 % of everything, just that he is not doing 100%)

"But he’s darn close (to doing everything),” because as Crews said. “We’ve (presume he means coaches not MBM) been very slow on him and I would think he’s close. He’s going to practice, but does he do the whole practice or go three straight days? I’m not sure about that yet.” This last point is nuanced and it seems additional information is needed like how he actually practices......

come on MBMs this is not rocket science.......

For the record, I am an MD. I am telling you all that there are injuries, tendonitis and other inflammatory soft tissue injuries, that do recur, that are a ***** to treat, and that may appear totally gone, only to come back again. Like it or not they do exist. I have not examined Bartley and do not know what it is he has, but if he had any such chronic soft tissue inflammatory injury this would be a very good reason not to push him hard in practice or during play. I am not making this up.

For the record, I am an MD. I am telling you all that there are injuries, tendonitis and other inflammatory soft tissue injuries, that do recur, that are a ***** to treat, and that may appear totally gone, only to come back again. Like it or not they do exist. I have not examined Bartley and do not know what it is he has, but if he had any such chronic soft tissue inflammatory injury this would be a very good reason not to push him hard in practice or during play. I am not making this up.

Hemostasis, inflammation, proliferation, maturation

This thread has reached a new level of absurdity.

Players who are actually 100% practice. 0% of players who are 100% are voluntarily held out of practice (barring disciplinary reasons or scheduling conflict). Crews is rounding generously. This is not a dispute.

you are reacting to what you mistakenly think the quote says, either unwittingly or with malicious intent. There was nothing about gaining strength in his quote. He specifically does not say anything about strength, nor does he imply that he would gain anything and be more than 100%.

Holy hell, overreact much? We really need the season to start.