Via Twitter: Welmer out for 4 Months with Stress Fracture

thetorch

As BillikensBlog stated, this rule change will affect those who transfer for the 5th year. However, if a player stays at the same school they will not be affected. I was under the assumption that they had passed this closing of the loophole, but apparently it is still not completed. It should be done within the next couple of years from what I have heard.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you writing off Agbeko as well as Jolly?

I'm willing to write off Jolly entirely (which is nothing new, I know). If he's on the floor, we're out of options.

Agbeko is constantly hurt from everything I've seen, read, and heard. He's never been 100% and there are things that lingered over the summer, through the Bahamas trip, and probably still. I'm just not counting on him being a guy who ever gets starter-type minutes.

Straight from the horse's mouth: Elliott told me earlier today he is definitely out for the year & redshirting.

It's disappointing because he really improved in the few practices and I think a lot of observers were surprised at his game so far. A lot of us were hoping he could give us some consistent points off the bench -- including a few timely 3-pointers. Scrappy kid who runs the floor well and knows how to cut to the rack ... a very pleasant surprise, seeing him live on multiple occasions. Tough loss. Hang in there dude, keep lifting ....

A year of watching practices and games will make him even better when he returns next season. Then we'll have an extra year of him later when he is at his best.

And adding muscle. Hoping for a poor man's Sam Decker in a couple years.

I actually think he would have benefited greatly by actually getting in some games down the stretch. Nothing makes you realize what is required to play at this level more than actually playing in games. All reports indicate that Welmer is a hard worker and I think him actually experiencing what it takes physically at this level would have pushed him to put even more work into preparing for the 16-17 season.

Put me in the camp of those disappointed that he is redshirting.

Not sure I'd call that "best case." Best case is he develops and either 1) he stays loyal to SLU similar to how he stayed loyal to SLU for a year between when he committed and when he actually signed or 2) the NCAA closes that loophole and that option doesn't even exist.

His 5th year right now would project to be another "rebuilding" year under Crews or another coach. If the 5th year rule still applies and if he were a productive big, he'd have 50% of all BCS schools calling him.

When was the last time SLU had a 5th year big that was decent? When was the last non-Kwamain 5th year guy that made a difference?

His 5th year right now would project to be another "rebuilding" year under Crews or another coach. If the 5th year rule still applies and if he were a productive big, he'd have 50% of all BCS schools calling him.

When was the last time SLU had a 5th year big that was decent? When was the last non-Kwamain 5th year guy that made a difference?

Honestly, if you can project SLU's success, or lack thereof, 5 years from now then you have a better crystal ball then I do.

I actually think he would have benefited greatly by actually getting in some games down the stretch. Nothing makes you realize what is required to play at this level more than actually playing in games. All reports indicate that Welmer is a hard worker and I think him actually experiencing what it takes physically at this level would have pushed him to put even more work into preparing for the 16-17 season.

Put me in the camp of those disappointed that he is redshirting.

I absolutely would have preferred for him not to get injured and to be playing this year. That being said, he can get his first year of game experience next season after watching and learning this year. After that, he will still have three years of eligibility left just like he would have had after this season if he didn't get injured.

Honestly, if you can project SLU's success, or lack thereof, 5 years from now then you have a better crystal ball then I do.

Im just basing it on the fact that the huge soph class plus this years class would both be gone, replaced by, hypothetically, another large group of underclass men.

very strange that he this injury required surgery and that he would be out for 4 months; most stress fractures heal in 6 weeks without surgery

depends upon which bone either the 4th or 5th Metatarsal often requires surgery, as without it does not heal. He may well have been off it for a while already and it did not get better. I would not call it strange.

He will be a Junior as far as age is concerned when he starts playing and he is more mature for his age at this point.

He is going to be a very good player. I find it interesting that people on here are so quick to talk about Crews being fired or leaving but don't have any suggestions for a replacement that would take the team to the top of the A-10 again.

He will be a Junior as far as age is concerned when he starts playing and he is more mature for his age at this point.

He is going to be a very good player. I find it interesting that people on here are so quick to talk about Crews being fired or leaving but don't have any suggestions for a replacement that would take the team to the top of the A-10 again.

Yeah, David King, there you go again with empty rhetoric, mindlessly bashing Crews....can we be a little more constructive and suggest precisely who would take us to the top of the A10?

Billiken Nation is waiting for your response.

Yeah, David King, there you go again with empty rhetoric, mindlessly bashing Crews....can we be a little more constructive and suggest precisely who would take us to the top of the A10?

I don't think anyone expects us to be consistently in the top 10. I think most want nothing more than to be the consistent top 50 program that they were promised many years ago.