Changes in Branding for Athletics

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that's true. If anything, I suspect they FORGOT to show Tatum the duck shirt, and that's why they were unable to seal the deal.

Also, please add the duck tagline to your signature. Anyone who is committed to making SLU a winning program should do it. Thanks.

But doesn't "where winners migrate" mean that these winners have to come from outside of the area? And if that is the case wouldn't that shirt be against recruiting locally? And if that shirt was against recruiting locally, isn't that a shot at the entire Crews recruiting system?

I'll take my Fort Collins Skyhawks LONG sleeve winners migrate tshirt, which is awkward because don't birds migrate away from the cold, and move along. http://skyhawks.teamfanshop.com/catalog/product/Fort_Lewis_College_Skyhawks_Winners_Migrate_Long_Sleeve_T-Shirt_-_Navy_Blue

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the shirt is in reference to the starting point of the migration. We have seen a lot of local recruits head elsewhere. The ducks should have logos in their feathers for Duke, Iowa, Illinois, etc.

Hey guys, a corporate rebranding process has its own procedures and its own rhythms. Nothing is done based on a personal whim, everything is researched and lengthy discussions about the shade of the colors used or the exact font and size of the font take place. Logos are compared to any number of the logos of other similar institutions and discussed at length. The rebranding consultant may have focus group meetings involving randomly selected public, faculty, or students. When the process is finished, you may be sure the rebranding has undergone extensive research and is backed up by all kinds of arcane data. More importantly, every step of the process has been presented and approved along the way by the top corporate levels. Once it is done it is done.

The problem with this process is that it may produce a new brand that is so commonplace or so bland as to make you want to cry. This process is not going to produce anything flashy or exiting, because it tends to produce middle of the road acceptable results. I have lived through a couple of corporate rebrandings, the last one I am certain cost well into the 6 or 7 figures (more likely into the seven figures but I never found the exact price). The company in charge of the rebranding created enough documentation to fully support their fee. The process that has taken place at SLU will be similar to what I described, be certain of that fact.

As I posted some time ago, you never know what the results will be in a rebranding.

We get what we get, it is out of our hands.

While we're on the topic of egregious uses of the university's brand, I have some bad news, fellas: the duck shirt is SOLD OUT in size large.

It is, however, available in 2X-5X, which is somewhat surprising to me, as I figured this shirt would've appealed more to our beefier fans.

If you wear a large, I suppose you could try your luck on eBay. Godspeed.

http://shop.slubillikens.com/COLLEGE_Saint_Louis_Billikens_Mens_T-Shirts/Saint_Louis_Billikens_Winners_Migrate_T-Shirt_-_Royal_Blue

The good news is you can still find the camo cap with the pink "SLU" logo at any Lids in the bargain bin.

If the logo is anything but the third photo from this tweet - https://twitter.com/SLUArchives/status/652169180720971776 - then it will be a missed opportunity.

They already have the answer! It didn't need any work, just go back to the best one. It's so simple.

A marketing firm and people at SLU can't justify their pay if you just go back to something you already had.

Can those who've seen it at least tell us if the new logo has the crown or not?

I feel bad for Lubely's Bakery. I have bought a lot of cookies from them over the years because they have the Billiken shape/stencil ready to go over there. Now it's going to be outdated.

A marketing firm and people at SLU can't justify their pay if you just go back to something you already had.

They may feel this way, but if they returned to one of the greatest logos of all time, I think they'd get a lot of good response. I say they can update the wordmark, script, uniforms, etc. as they see fit in order to keep up with the times (since college athletic uniforms have become an arms race for some dumb reason), but there's no need to go with a generic 'modern' college sports logo when you have this:

E3MHlO5.png

Ive heard nothing but terrible things about the new logo from those who have seen it. Fans, alumni, and students should collectively protest this change if the majority view it as something that will hinder SLU from becoming a more successful brand.

Maybe we should at least wait to see it though, right? What we have so far is next to nothing - hearsay from someone who may or may not have seen someone else's phone screen with what may or may not have been the logo, and he's having a hard time conveying exactly what it looks like.

My feeling right now is just that we've been sitting on a great logo for years and don't need to reinvent the wheel, maybe just tweak it. But we still don't know what the new one looks like, so perhaps we can hold the outrage until it rolls out.

Maybe we should at least wait to see it though, right? What we have so far is next to nothing - hearsay from someone who may or may not have seen someone else's phone screen with what may or may not have been the logo, and he's having a hard time conveying exactly what it looks like.

My feeling right now is just that we've been sitting on a great logo for years and don't need to reinvent the wheel, maybe just tweak it. But we still don't know what the new one looks like, so perhaps we can hold the outrage until it rolls out.

This is the only intellegent thing said in this thread. I'm not saying the logo is going to be amazing, I love the current Billiken logo, but we haven't even seen the damn logo.

If student athletes, alumni, professors, and AD members were involved in making it, that means some people who care about this school like it. If it sucks we'll go from there. Personally I wanted them to establish something timeless, something that doesn't need to be updated. We'll see what happens.

But the panic over a logo that has been disliked by one person is crazy.

Hey guys, a corporate rebranding process has its own procedures and its own rhythms. Nothing is done based on a personal whim, everything is researched and lengthy discussions about the shade of the colors used or the exact font and size of the font take place. Logos are compared to any number of the logos of other similar institutions and discussed at length. The rebranding consultant may have focus group meetings involving randomly selected public, faculty, or students. When the process is finished, you may be sure the rebranding has undergone extensive research and is backed up by all kinds of arcane data. More importantly, every step of the process has been presented and approved along the way by the top corporate levels. Once it is done it is done.

The problem with this process is that it may produce a new brand that is so commonplace or so bland as to make you want to cry. This process is not going to produce anything flashy or exiting, because it tends to produce middle of the road acceptable results. I have lived through a couple of corporate rebrandings, the last one I am certain cost well into the 6 or 7 figures (more likely into the seven figures but I never found the exact price). The company in charge of the rebranding created enough documentation to fully support their fee. The process that has taken place at SLU will be similar to what I described, be certain of that fact.

As I posted some time ago, you never know what the results will be in a rebranding.

We get what we get, it is out of our hands.

Depends. You like this one?

091201-37a.jpg

What? No! It's so much easier to pre-hate.

Pre-hate! I'm not putting my pitch-fork back in the closet. I got it out I'm using it. PRE-HATE!!