Today's P-D Billiken article

bauman

Unless it's buried in another thread, I'm surprised to see that no one has yet commented on the Billikens' article in today's local rag.

In short, JC ducked the reasons for AM & TL leaving (good decision Coach), was non-committal on the possible return of GG and said that he is not going to fill the two open scholarship slots just to fill them. He is fine with the current roster unless a program-changer (my term) wants to come to SLU. Also, they are out recruiting.

I think I could have written the article w/o talking to JC. By the way, I saw a team score a bucket on an in bounds play under their basket last night. I hope JC and the staff were watching.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless it's buried in another thread, I'm surprised to see that no one has yet commented on the Billikens' article in today's local rag.

In short, JC ducked the reasons for AM & TL leaving (good decision Coach), was non-committal on the possible return of GG and said that he is not going to fill the two open scholarship slots just to fill them. He is fine with the current roster unless a program-changer (my term) wants to come to SLU. Also, they are out recruiting.

I think I could have written the article w/o talking to JC. By the way, I saw a team score a bucket on an in bounds play under their basket last night. I hope JC and the staff were watching.

Our players are too dumb to learn an inbounds play, or our coaching staff was too dumb to teach one. That is the narrative from Crews.

Our players are too dumb to learn an inbounds play, or our coaching staff was too dumb to teach one. That is the narrative from Crews.

And we have fans dumb enough to buy that and believe we can win 20 games next plus finish in the top half of the conference.

And we have fans dumb enough to buy that and believe we can win 20 games next plus finish in the top half of the conference.

Brian.

Let the blue koolaide begin flowing with this comment. Short of the players quitting the last five games, this team should have won 14 to 15 games. If that gets fixed and with dedication by the guys, including the addition of weight and strength, this team can easily win 3 more games. And if we find a post presence (neufeld and/or current roster guy) 20 wins is doable. After this year, I will believe it when I see it but 20 wins is certainly possible.

Brian.

Let the blue koolaide begin flowing with this comment. Short of the players quitting the last five games, this team should have won 14 to 15 games. If that gets fixed and with dedication by the guys, including the addition of weight and strength, this team can easily win 3 more games. And if we find a post presence (neufeld and/or current roster guy) 20 wins is doable. After this year, I will believe it when I see it but 20 wins is certainly possible.

+1

Completely agree that we played well below the potential of these players. If they actually mesh together and play to their potential, if Milik cuts the turnovers, if Davell and Bartley handle the ball well at the point, if Ash plays less selfishly, we will be a much better team. 20 wins? Possibly.

Count me as someone who believes it is possible. The difference between SLU last year and a team that would have won 20 game is physicality. As a group we were soft pushed off the block, pushed underneath the basket when rebounding, when we drove we avoided contact and hoped a ref would bail us out......certainly there were other issues mental mistakes etc but strength will be a huge addition to this team

Hmmm one more sip, ahh and 30 more pounds and Neufeld and Gillman will play like August and Ash will shoot as good as Grant whose 3 OT shot went in.....good stuff

Brian.

20 wins will almost certainly have to include 10 conference wins. I just don't see any way that happens. Let's say we end up reversing the losses to Fordham, Mason, and Duquesne; where do the other additional 3 conference wins come from?

What article? Checked the on-line edition and it didn't have anything new since the 3/20 article about Lancona and McBroom leaving.

Looks like the Post Dispatch didn't bother to put an online version of the article out there but there was a hard copy one in the paper on Saturday. Didn't say anything earth shattering but did confirm that it is expected that Austin will graduate in 4 years and be immediately eligible wherever he transfers to and that there is the potential Glaze could come back. Basically, the article was a summary of the 3 tweets Durando sent out on Friday.

Yes it was commented on in another thread. Of course he will be non committal - he wants to keep expectations tapped down in case he had to pull a Soderberg. By the way for some - how many teams in the tourney use that same inbounds play? - I saw used many times.

Yes, men who have experience and knowledge beyond your 'lil-whine-all-day-and-all-night approach know that we can win 20 games next year. 6 returning frosh + 2 returning sophs who got plenty of experience this year, most all 3* and 2* recruits.

All you do is lob out bitter, negative posts about our coach and players, 24/7. Some fan.

Yes, men who have experience and knowledge beyond your 'lil-boy-hissy-fit-whine-all-day-and-all-night approach know that we can win 20 games next year. 6 returning frosh + 2 returning sophs who got plenty of experience this year, most all 3* and 2* recruits.

All you do is lob out bitter, negative posts about our coach and players, 24/7. Some fan.

Where do you see 20 wins coming from? You think we can win 10 conference games next season? Where do you think we pick up 7 additional wins in conference next season?

With 18 conference games, that is basically going to be required.

Where do you see 20 wins coming from? You think we can win 10 conference games next season? Where do you think we pick up 7 additional wins in conference next season?

I will say my main issue with your statement is the way you presented it. Just seems like a very a**holish to say that there are "fans dumb enough" to believe SLU can win 20 games next season. While you can certainly point to a lot of legit reasons why you feel you are correct in thinking next season will yield mediocre results, it is another thing to besmirch those who at least maintain an optimistic outlook for 2015-16. It just comes across as jerkish.

I will say my main issue with your statement is the way you presented it. Just seems like a very a**holish to say that there are "fans dumb enough" to believe SLU can win 20 games next season. While you can certainly point to a lot of legit reasons why you feel you are correct in thinking next season will yield mediocre results, it is another thing to besmirch those who at least maintain an optimistic outlook for 2015-16. It just comes across as jerkish.

It was directed towards one poster.

Everything went wrong this year, we coulda-shoulda-woulda won, say, 15.

The last 5 games we folded for reasons unknown, I believe those issues will be remedied.

The most improvement with players sometimes comes the year from frosh to soph. We have 6 frosh, all 3* & 2*, who got good playing time, then we have 2 solid sophs who didn't play much as freshmen and they got playing time, too. Yacoubou is coming back, if he plays under more control he can really be productive.

Not all of the 6 + 2 will improve, of course not. But I would think several will improve very significantly, some will improve significantly, and a couple will not.

If all 9 players return and the schedule is similar, 20 is attainable. Not what we want. Our expectations have been raised.

Remember, we had a HOF coach drop out of the sky and change our culture, our program. His health failed, recruits shied away later in his reign, and we had a huge gap in our roster this year and a big one, still, next year.

Everything went wrong this year, we coulda-shoulda-woulda won, say, 15.

The last 5 games we folded for reasons unknown, I believe those issues will be remedied.

The most improvement with players sometimes comes the year from frosh to soph. We have 6 frosh, all 3* & 2*, who got good playing time, then we have 2 solid sophs who didn't play much as freshmen and they got playing time, too. Yacoubou is coming back, if he plays under more control he can really be productive.

Not all of the 6 + 2 will improve, of course not. But I would think several will improve very significantly, some will improve significantly, and a couple will not.

If all 9 players return and the schedule is similar, 20 is attainable. Not what we want. Our expectations have been raised.

Remember, we had a HOF coach drop out of the sky and change our culture, our program. His health failed, recruits shied away later in his reign, and we had a huge gap in our roster this year and a big one, still, next year.

So you think we will win seven additional conference games?

So you think we will win seven additional conference games?

I have been reading this board since I went to school at SLU -- almost 20 years -- and I think you have been posting that whole time. I never remember you having such a sarcastically negative disposition until this year. Why do you have such a bug up your ass and why do you feel the need to call out anybody that posts positive feelings for this team? I am interested in you answer.

The guy is optimistic -- he thinks we will win 20 games somehow. Why does it matter how? Are you keeping score? Let me assure you that only a crazy person would keep score of what people say on a message board and then post a long manifesto how everyone was wrong and they were right.

I don't think you need to be sarcastically negative or have a bug up your ass to think 20 wins is pie in the sky at this point. I'll reserve my expectations until I see a schedule, but 20 wins would be nearly doubling our total from this year with substantially the same cast.

That NC State team was hot. Barring our miracle comeback, a Sweet 16 last year wouldn't have seemed all that crazy.

If we're looking for examples of one year turnarounds, I guess Notre Dame works. Went from under .500 to the Elite Eight with only one new freshman in the rotation.

Can history be an indicator of whether it is possible to increase the # of wins in one season? Let's go to the record books and look at the last "awful" seasons we've had and how the next year progressed:

- 10/11 Season - 12 wins followed by 26 for a +14. Add of Kwamain plus all contributors returned.

- 05/05 Season - 9 wins followed by 16 for a +7. Add of Liddel and Lisch plus emergence of Ian V. Also switched to A-10.

- 96/97 Season - 11 wins followed by 22 for a +11. Add of Hughes. Nuff said.

- 92/93 Season - 12 wins followed by 23 for a +11. Add of Waldmen.

- 91/92 Season - 5 wins followed by 12 for a +7. Add of Spoon, Donnie Dobbs and Pedersen

A couple takeaways from my perspective:

- Big jumps are not only possible, they may be the norm for the program.

- All of the jumps have been accommodated by a big-time player addition.

- Its nearly impossible to attribute how much of a given jump is due to player additions, the growth in the returning players, coaching, schedule changes, etc.

- I tend to the more optimistic side of things and believe we'll see a 7 or so game improvement next year which can always go up or down based on the randomness of sports.

- 20 wins is not "pie-in-the-sky"