Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

According to Earl rising Junior Javon Pickett was on hand for practice today

Looks like a very nice player

http://ilprepbullseye.com/St._Louis_Talent.html

I saw an interview with him in which he said the Illini and Xavier have been contacting him. Seems like his recruitment is going to go into overdrive very soon.

While I am not like some who believe SLU should limit its recruiting to the area between Chesterfield and Belleville, adding some of the areas top talent (Goodwin and Pickett) would go a long way in helping this program get some traction. What I don't want to see us doing is offering a kid who might be better suited to play at SIUE just because he is local.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Earl rising Junior Javon Pickett was on hand for practice today

Looks like a very nice player

http://ilprepbullseye.com/St._Louis_Talent.html

I saw an interview with him in which he said the Illini and Xavier have been contacting him. Seems like his recruitment is going to go into overdrive very soon.

While I am not like some who believe SLU should limit its recruiting to the area between Chesterfield and Belleville, adding some of the areas top talent (Goodwin and Pickett) would go a long way in helping this program get some traction. What I don't want to see us doing is offering a kid who might be better suited to play at SIUE just because he is local.

Wonder if that was who Hughes was sitting with. He does have an offer from Illini.

Pickett's recruitment has blown up fast. From 0 to 9 offers in the past three weeks. A lot of Valley for the first 7, but SLU and Illinois represent a nice new level of offers for him.

Man, if we can get Goodwin's interest level in SLU back to "high," the idea of a Goodwin-Pickett combo in SLU blue is tantalizing. Offering both in the span of three days is a start.

I have to give the staff some credit in the wake of the Tatum loss. They're getting serious about offering who we need to offer. They're still missing some - Goodwin (which will be righted tomorrow), Gordon, maybe a few others - but this is promising to see.

Not a big difference but I believe Goodwin is visiting today so it will be an offer to Pickett and Goodwin in 24 hours.

I think Gordon goes to getting him on campus for an unofficial visit. I mentioned this earlier but looking at who Crews is following on Twitter and the only recruits are Gordon and Watson. I would bet Ramey would also be followed by Crews if he had a twitter so you can tell who his main targets are for 2018.

I think there may be some value to waiting to offer until you get the kid to visit (especially for in town recruits who can fairly easily take an unofficial visit). By waiting to offer until the prospect shows a bit of interest in the school (visiting), you limit your offers to realistic targets and don't waste time chasing after guys who have no interest in SLU besides adding to their offer count.

Pickett's recruitment has blown up fast. From 0 to 9 offers in the past three weeks. A lot of Valley for the first 7, but SLU and Illinois represent a nice new level of offers for him.

Man, if we can get Goodwin's interest level in SLU back to "high," the idea of a Goodwin-Pickett combo in SLU blue is tantalizing. Offering both in the span of three days is a start.

I have to give the staff some credit in the wake of the Tatum loss. They're getting serious about offering who we need to offer. They're still missing some - Goodwin (which will be righted tomorrow), Gordon, maybe a few others - but this is promising to see.

A class of Gordon, Goodwin, and Yess would be awfully nice.

Gordon is 2018, yes. I was just mentioning him here as a guy I'd offer immediately, that's all.

Goodwin, Yess, and anyone would be an excellent class. Pickett, Gunn, Ridder, Pierre-Louis. There's definitely a chance 2017 could be a really solid one.

Gordon is 2018. A 2017 class of Pickett, Goodwin, and Yess would be very nice although I don't know much about Yess.

Yess is a 6'8" skilled big from Parkway West. Not being talked about much because he took the summer off due to injury, but we offered last year and his recruitment has picked up steam in recent months. IIRC, he has offers from Wyoming and Mizzou, with interest from Purdue, Creighton, and Stanford.

Since he's a white kid, I'd compare to a slightly bigger version of Conklin.

Yess is a 6'8" skilled big from Parkway West. Not being talked about much because he took the summer off due to injury, but we offered last year and his recruitment has picked up steam in recent months. IIRC, he has offers from Wyoming and Mizzou, with interest from Purdue, Creighton, and Stanford.

Since he's a white kid, I'd compare to a slightly bigger version of Conklin.

I think he reminds me more of Baniak.

I think he reminds me more of Baniak.

Uh oh. Now you've done it. People will assume that Yess would be good his freshman year and never really get any better after that! Because all players that remind us of someone are destined to have the same career path.

Personally, I think he's got more of an outside game than Baniak ever did. I'd say he's a better version of Chris Sloan (sticking with the only compare him to white former Billikens theme)

Uh oh. Now you've done it. People will assume that Yess would be good his freshman year and never really get any better after that! Because all players that remind us of someone are destined to have the same career path.

Personally, I think he's got more of an outside game than Baniak ever did. I'd say he's a better version of Chris Sloan (sticking with the only compare him to white former Billikens theme)

white + big man + outside game + west St. Louis Co. recruit = Tyler Griffey?

white + big man + outside game + west St. Louis Co. recruit = Tyler Griffey?

Not a bad comparison but on this board it has to be a former Billiken :) Hence why I went with Sloan although I guess St. Charles isn't technically the same as West St. Louis County.

Do we not have anybody who talk to recruits? Goodwin has seemed to be a pretty outspoken kid it seems so far so would like to hear his thoughts on the visit and finally getting the offer. Just basing this on after his Illinois visit saying they were the favorite and telling Billikensblog earlier that he was kind of disappointed by not having SLU offer at the time but he would wait.

Goodwin has seemed to be a pretty outspoken kid it seems so far so would like to hear his thoughts on the visit and finally getting the offer.

Roy may be able to provide us some info in the near future as he and his son seem to be pretty well plugged in when it comes to Althoff. Goodwin himself is not an outspoken kid, but maybe he is fairly candid in those types of interviews? I hope now that we have offered him we can move back on his list.